Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I really like the Pearl. I have a 7130c right now that I just got ... General Blackberry forum

mrdeeno no está en línea Stack level 3

Should I switch to T-mobile for the Pearl?

Advertisement

I really like the Pearl.

I have a 7130c right now that I just got a couple months ago through Cingular and have been debating how much a switch would cost me, and this is what I came up with...

One month, my current plan is $75 before taxes ($39.99 voice, $29.99 BIS, $5 text). One year = $900. If I get the 8100 when it comes out for cingular, with a company discount on the full price, it'll prolly be around $250 (we get really decent discounts). So if I wait for the Cingular version, one year from that point will cost me $1150. I hope to get $150 for my 7130c in good condition, so let's say $1000 total to stay with Cingular and get the 8100.

I have close to 2000 rollover minutes with cingular, but use less than 1000 minutes combined (anytime + n/w + m2m) so I can lose them. Text messaging is unlimited in the t-mo plan. If I get the T-mo BIS w/ 1000min ($59.99 before tax), 1 year = $720 + $175 (cingular cancellation) + $200 (8100) = about $1100, but if I get $150 for my 7130c (which would be in better condition now than if I wait for the Cingular 8100 to come), then the cost over a year is $950...$50 less than if I stay with Cingular.

Granted I paid $200 - $50 (discount) = $150 for the 7130c, I would be eating $100 in equipment charges unless I get more for my 7130c.

So in conclusion, if I switch to T-mo, get the Pearl, and stay one year with T-mo, it'll save me $50 over a year.

Cingular has good coverage in my area, and I hear T-mo is pretty good too (no complaints from anyone I know), so services I woudl say is a wash.

Is my math correct? And should I switch?

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Should I switch to T-mobile for the Pearl?

I usually decide what phone I like the most and what carrier I like. I don't do all the math. LOL.
    $50 isn't so much to say you must do it. If you want the Pearl, go for it.
    I use Tmo, the 59.99 plan myself, and love it. I always reccomend Tmo.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

My only concern is that I have to stay with T-mo for a year, which isn't bad considering i was with cingular for 2 months short of 2yrs before i got the 7130c (i was out of the country for one year htough, which is how i accrued so many rollovers).

Technically it will only cost me $100 more over the 12 month period (counting my 7130c purchase), so I guess it's not a bad hit in the long run of 12 months.

I read the T&C's for Cingular and they make no mention of charging for equipment upon cancellation. Anyone know if they woudl charge me more than $175 for cancelling?

No clue. Best bet is to call and ask. Even if you are not planning on leaving you might get some cool offer from them.

When I left Suncom for Tmo (back when I was in Virginia) they offered me all kinds of phone discounts and special plans to try and get me to stay. I wanted what they couldn't offer at that time, the Sidekick. Funny tho, they got it a few months later, but I moved to FL so it turned out to be better that I switched.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

trigga15 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21655FFB

i would just stay with cingular and the 8100 unlocked or wait for cingulars version

elevenminute no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204dg966

anyone can offer opinions about the service just look at what works best for you ...... with the new my faves plans for voice with your favorite 5 numbers any carrier any number inclufding landlines you may be able to take a lower plan and still get your talking done or maybe you need the rollover.
    and remember all of the tmobile data plans are unlimited so no need to keep the data in check

Quote Originally Posted by trigga15
    i would just stay with cingular and the 8100 unlocked or wait for cingulars version
    I have no problems with cingular, but it seems it is costing me more in the long run even if I wait and get the 8100 from them.

I just contacted an online dealer I found on ebay.

They are offering new T-mo customers a new 8100 for free...but i have to buy the plan through them (and they'll port my existing number), then wait 2 days for shipping. Not a big deal except I'll be without a phone for 2 days.

If this saves me $200, then if all my math is correct, I actually come out $100 ahead over a 12mo. period.

I may do this this weekend after doing a little more research.

New BlackBerrys are so exciting. Let us know what you decide on and how it goes. Those of use who don't want SureType can live vicariously through you.
    My Blog , My Flickr

jaywill86 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    204957DC

I say call Cingular customer service about the cancelation fee. I've seen them as low as $10.

However I'd wait for cingulars pearl which is coming in November.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by jaywill86
    I say call Cingular customer service about the cancelation fee. I've seen them as low as $10.

However I'd wait for cingulars pearl which is coming in November.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I think the cancellation fee is only prorated depending on state regulations...PA does not have prorating so it's $175 whether it be the first month or the last month of the contract.

I guess more simply, look at it this way...if I switch to T-mo, the cancellation is $175, but I still end up saving $180 over a year with Tmo vs. Cingular for more or less the same type of plan. The savings increase as I stay with T-mo past a year also.

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

A lot of what I go on depends on customer service. I had Sprint before switching to T-Mo. Sprint custo service was sheet. I hated calling them. They had such a take it or leave it attitude.

T-Mo has been 180 of what Sprint was. Always friendly, courteous and helpful [and accommodating too].

So even if things were slightly in Cingular's favor on the money end, I would still switch to T-Mo simply for the good service they provide. I mean, when I call T-Mo I get a live person in about a minute or two and they are always friendly and treat me with respect.

That's worth a lot to me.

Quote Originally Posted by sanfrancisco
    A lot of what I go on depends on customer service. I had Sprint before switching to T-Mo. Sprint custo service was sheet. I hated calling them. They had such a take it or leave it attitude.

T-Mo has been 180 of what Sprint was. Always friendly, courteous and helpful [and accommodating too].

So even if things were slightly in Cingular's favor on the money end, I would still switch to T-Mo simply for the good service they provide. I mean, when I call T-Mo I get a live person in about a minute or two and they are always friendly and treat me with respect.

That's worth a lot to me.
    actually, even with cingular's cancellation fees and the equipment discounts i can get through my company, the money factor still slightly favors T-mo in the long run...I would break even at around 12mo. and save every month thereafter.

I was with Verizon for over 5 years...great customer service the first 3 years, but then they nosedived the final 2 years I was with them...and they are relatively more costly than Cingular (customer service is on par with where Verizon was when I left, so the money factored in Cingulars favor).

bendite no está en línea Stack level 2

I have to agree, TMo's customer service is great.

Something would really bad would have to happen to get me to switch our phones from TMo. I think thier rates are good and coverage is the best in my area. They have always resolved any issues we or our clients have had with Blackberry phones and I don't think it has ever turned into a finger pointing match with TMo.

customer service is not a big deal to me with Cingular...and I'd have to say that's the same for most carriers. If one is better, then that's a plus, but if there are worse out there, it's probably only marginably worse than what I've been through with Verizon or Cingular.

Cingular WAS a big deal to me because of the rollover minutes...I didn't want to pay and lose minutes while I was away...but seeing that I am not using them anyway adn they have already started expiring, it makes no difference anymore. I don't hang on the phone like some teenage girl either, so the rollover thing isn't a big deal if I lose the minutes.

pinchao no está en línea Stack level 1

I could be wrong on this but I don't think the Tmo plan (59.99) include text messaging.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdeeno
    I really like the Pearl.

I have a 7130c right now that I just got a couple months ago through Cingular and have been debating how much a switch would cost me, and this is what I came up with...

One month, my current plan is $75 before taxes ($39.99 voice, $29.99 BIS, $5 text). One year = $900. If I get the 8100 when it comes out for cingular, with a company discount on the full price, it'll prolly be around $250 (we get really decent discounts). So if I wait for the Cingular version, one year from that point will cost me $1150. I hope to get $150 for my 7130c in good condition, so let's say $1000 total to stay with Cingular and get the 8100.

I have close to 2000 rollover minutes with cingular, but use less than 1000 minutes combined (anytime + n/w + m2m) so I can lose them. Text messaging is unlimited in the t-mo plan. If I get the T-mo BIS w/ 1000min ($59.99 before tax), 1 year = $720 + $175 (cingular cancellation) + $200 (8100) = about $1100, but if I get $150 for my 7130c (which would be in better condition now than if I wait for the Cingular 8100 to come), then the cost over a year is $950...$50 less than if I stay with Cingular.

Granted I paid $200 - $50 (discount) = $150 for the 7130c, I would be eating $100 in equipment charges unless I get more for my 7130c.

So in conclusion, if I switch to T-mo, get the Pearl, and stay one year with T-mo, it'll save me $50 over a year.

Cingular has good coverage in my area, and I hear T-mo is pretty good too (no complaints from anyone I know), so services I woudl say is a wash.

Is my math correct? And should I switch?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast