Hello, My 7280 WAS on rogers, its unloacked now and Fido has given me the ... General Blackberry forum

MooseNet no está en línea Stack level 1

Set up data settings for new carier

Advertisement

Hello,

My 7280 WAS on rogers, its unloacked now and Fido has given me the wap and all the info i need.

Can ANY one tell me how to change all this info? they also gave me a ip adress and dns but can not figure out what to do?

Also if i use 7280 software from another carier will it work?

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7

Re: Set up data settings for new carier

Quote Originally Posted by MooseNet View Post
    Hello,

My 7280 WAS on rogers, its unloacked now and Fido has given me the wap and all the info i need.

Can ANY one tell me how to change all this info? they also gave me a ip adress and dns but can not figure out what to do?

Also if i use 7280 software from another carier will it work?
    You can use software from another carrier all you need to do is delete the vendor file prior to loading the OS on the device. As far as i have ever run into it you do not need the settings for the internet. All you need is the BB internet service and the proper service books, which may be blocked due to the vendor file being there. I would say either delete the vendor file or load that carriers OS on, make sure you have BB internet service and try registering on HRT. Menu, options, advanced options, HRT, menu, register now. Hope it helps. Welcome to the Stacks.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

loading that carriers OS will make no difference since the device still will have a vendor ID of the old carrier. That will only give it a (possibly) newer OS version.

The service books come from the carrier not the OS so as long as you have a BlackBerry data plan you will get all the provisions you need, shouldn't be anything for you to manually configure (that stuff should be pre-set on your SIM card).
    Last edited by cliffr39; 01-08-2008 at 04:53 PM.
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffr39 View Post
    loading that carriers OS will make no difference since the device still will have a vendor ID of the old carrier. That will only give it a (possibly) newer OS version.

The service books come from the carrier not the OS so as long as you have a BlackBerry data plan you will get all the provisions you need, shouldn't be anything for you to manually configure (that stuff should be pre-set on your SIM card).
    True in part, but the vendor file can block the RIM provisioning tool from sending the correct service books, and the vendor id is in the blackberry alx and vendor.xml files respectively which change the vendor code depending on which carriers os you load.

My suggestion is again to either delete the vendor file or load your currunt carriers OS on the device.

PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie_gauge View Post
    True in part, but the vendor file can block the RIM provisioning tool from sending the correct service books, and the vendor id is in the blackberry alx and vendor.xml files respectively which change the vendor code depending on which carriers os you load...
    The only thing the vendor file does is tell the phone/desktop manager whether or not it is allowed to be installed based on the vendor ID that is on the phones chips. So if that OS is not from the same carrier as the phone originally then you must delete the file. But it will not block provisioning - that is the carrier that the customer uses

The blackberry.alx tells the application loader what files to install, also based on the vendor ID inside the device. You cannot change that. That is why when you "unlock themes" you either ADD your ID number, or delete the ID's listed for that theme.
    Last edited by cliffr39; 01-08-2008 at 06:49 PM.

McLovin no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

Delete the vendor.xml file, load your new os. You may or may not have to re-reg the HRT but you probably will have to manually enter the APN info for your carrier.
    LMAO at bj wheeler and his ex daily!
    twitter

awsome thank you all for the info.

One more quick question. According to my "options -> applications" i have a browser installed BUT it does NOT apear on my "desktop"... any ideas?

Again thank you for the info i am downloading the new software from AT&T for my rogers/fido BB right now.. will let you know how it goes

PIN/ID
    317ASKME

awsome thank you all for the info.

One more quick question. According to my "options -> applications" i have a browser installed BUT it does NOT apear on my "desktop"... any ideas?...
    it will not appear until you receive the service books for that which come from your carrier. you did not answer from above if you have a BlackBerry data plan or not. That is the only way to get the service books.

ooops sorry,

no i do not have an actual BB data plan. Can i not use my browser over regular cell network ? or can i get a data plan, get the service books, then cancel it and still have access to my browser?

ok soooooo..... got the data plan. browser works. NOW does anyone know if i cancel my plan can i STILL use my browser??? i DID have 16mb a month data, for a lot less then the 3mbs bb conect plan i got.

HELP!!!!...

btw you guys have ALL been awsome and extremly helpful...

ok soooooo..... got the data plan. browser works. NOW does anyone know if i cancel my plan can i STILL use my browser??? i DID have 16mb a month data, for a lot less then the 3mbs bb conect plan i got.

HELP!!!!...

btw you guys have ALL been awsome and extremly helpful...
    No, once you delete the service and it deactivates on RIM's side you will not have access to the web. (with the exception of possibly opera mini which runs over the carriers network, no OTA, no email, no pin2pin just basic web surfing)

PIN/ID
    317ASKME

ok soooooo..... got the data plan. browser works. NOW does anyone know if i cancel my plan can i STILL use my browser??? i DID have 16mb a month data, for a lot less then the 3mbs bb conect plan i got....
    nope sorry like said above. also if you did that you would be charged per kb and I'm sure Canada is not cheap for that either haha