Scheduled Maintenance - GPRS/EDGE BlackBerry Network Maintenance has been scheduled by Research in Motion for ... General Blackberry forum

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

Scheduled Maintenance - GPRS/EDGE BlackBerry Network

Advertisement

Maintenance has been scheduled by Research in Motion for all North and South American GPRS/EDGE carriers, including Rogers, between the hours of 02:00 and 05:00 on Saturday December 2nd, 2006

During these maintenance windows, clients may be unable to send/receive email or pin messages using their Blackberry devices for a period of 1 hour.

Clients will still be able to place phone calls and send/receive SMS messages on their BlackBerry devices during these maintenance periods.

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Re: Scheduled Maintenance - GPRS/EDGE BlackBerry Network

Thanks Lewis, that is good to know...

cwax no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    32DEF7BB

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis
    Maintenance has been scheduled by Research in Motion for all North and South American GPRS/EDGE carriers, including Rogers, between the hours of 02:00 and 05:00 on Saturday December 2nd, 2006

During these maintenance windows, clients may be unable to send/receive email or pin messages using their Blackberry devices for a period of 1 hour.

Clients will still be able to place phone calls and send/receive SMS messages on their BlackBerry devices during these maintenance periods.
    Where did you get this info from?

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

This bites. Why on a Saturday?

What time zones are those times in and is that AM, PM or military time? My hubby and I talk via BB Messenger all the time.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

I am thinking 2am to 5am but can't expect it to be Pacific...probably Central or Eastern.

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Good thing I can still send drunken texts! WOOT!

sn1p3r no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Quote Originally Posted by cwakulik
    Where did you get this info from?
    'cause he's working for Rogers

And for Telus user you won't have that problem :P
    Héhéh je t'en devais une Lewis je ne pouvais m'en empęcher
    I'm french canadian so I can also help you in french, just PM me
    UNLESS it is for a BETA OS, it's at your own risk and I won't support it
    Sn1p3r

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

Cette semaine, je suis plus trop fatigué, et je ne comprends pas meilleure de tes mots.

Aussi, je travaille pour Rogers. J'ai reçu ce couriel hier.

I work for Rogers, and I received that email yesterday, as a BES user with the company.

I don't doubt that this is correct information; it would not be sent to thousands of employees with BlackBerry devices if it were not correct.

The times are Waterloo, EST, and should only affect use for an hour.

RIM picks that large window with the intention that it will take only an hour, but "reserves" three hours (in case something goes wrong, likely).

Each carrier may also be purposely staggered, or just not down at the same time.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Looks like this maintance is related to the SPAM problem. Somone posted a comment on my BBhub post about the SPAM here. I only quoted part of the comment.

"SPAM and BlackBerry® Internet Service (BIS)

In response to the increased amount of SPAM e-mail that has been showing up in the Inbox (@rogers.blackberry.net) of BlackBerry Internet Service customers, RIM will be implementing additional improvements to the BIS anti-spam filters to reduce, but not eliminate, the number of unwanted and unsolicited e-mails starting on December 2, 2006. Also, RIM will be implementing additional enhancements to BIS in upcoming releases to further reduce the amount of SPAM messages.

The update to the BIS Anti-SPAM solution will be based on a Reputation Scoring System, and requires no end-user interaction, acceptance, or configuration by customers. There is no charge for the Anti-SPAM solution on BlackBerry Internet Service."
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee

I have no idea, but if there were French swear words up there would the filters pick em up? Lol

icancn2u no está en línea Stack level 4

I think this very useful for people to know, so I am just bumping it. For those who only look at the first page

Oh and a very loose and no where near a literal translation of the French in Lewis's post
    He is very tired this week and not understanding much of the words (language) He works for Rogers and recieved the english portion of the message yesterday

exciter no está en línea Stack level 3

SPAM and BlackBerry® Internet Service (BIS)

In response to the increased amount of SPAM e-mail that has been showing up in the Inbox (@rogers.blackberry.net) of BlackBerry Internet Service customers, RIM will be implementing additional improvements to the BIS anti-spam filters to reduce, but not eliminate, the number of unwanted and unsolicited e-mails starting on December 2, 2006. Also, RIM will be implementing additional enhancements to BIS in upcoming releases to further reduce the amount of SPAM messages.

The update to the BIS Anti-SPAM solution will be based on a Reputation Scoring System, and requires no end-user interaction, acceptance, or configuration by customers. There is no charge for the Anti-SPAM solution on BlackBerry Internet Service.

Q. What is SPAM?
    A. SPAM is unsolicited e-mail on the Internet. It is a form of bulk mail that is sent to a large number of users belonging to a distribution list. To the receiver, it is generally unwanted and is considered as junk mail.

Q. How does the Anti-SPAM feature work on BIS?

A. The Anti-SPAM solution will be based on a Reputation Scoring System, and requires no end-user interaction, acceptance, or configuration by customers. There is no charge for the Anti-SPAM solution on BlackBerry Internet Service. Please NOTE: The Anti-SPAM on BIS only works with customers who have activated the optional @rogers.blackberry.net email account. BIS Anti-SPAM does not filter other email accounts such as POP3/IMAP, Yahoo!, Rogers Yahoo!, MSN, Gmail, etc. Customers will still need to configure their anti-SPAM settings with their 3 rd party ISP and email services to reduce any SPAM messages being delivered to their BlackBerry devices or desktop email client.

Q. Why is this happening only to @rogers.blackberry.net email accounts?

A. BIS Anti-SPAM for the @rogers.blackberry.net email accounts does not provide any end-user SPAM configurable settings. This is to make sure that legitimate email is not automatically blocked and will be delivered to the Inbox. BIS does provide end-users with the ability to setup up email filters so only email from approved senders will only be delivered to a customer’s Inbox. However, other POP3/IMAP services may provide anti-SPAM filters that allow customers to set their own thresholds. For further details, customers should contact their ISP (Internet Service Provider) or email service provider to find out more about their anti-SPAM settings. If the ISP or email service provider does not filter out SPAM email, these SPAM messages will still be delivered to their BlackBerry.

Q. How much does BIS service cost?

A. BIS is available at no additional charge to customers who activate their BlackBerry with a monthly BlackBerry e-mail plan or BlackBerry Voice & Email Package.

Q. What if a customer incurred an overage charge on their monthly bill as a result of SPAM email?

A. Customers who believe they have incurred an overage charge on their monthly bill as a result of SPAM email may be eligible for a one-time credit equal to a maximum of 1 MB ($5 - $31 depending on the BlackBerry Email or BlackBerry Voice & Email Package the customer has subscribed to). 1 MB of BlackBerry data is equivalent to 500 incoming email messages. Customers may contact Customer Care free of charge by dialing * 611 on their Rogers BlackBerry or by calling toll free at 1-877-764-3772. Please inform the customer they should only contact Customer Care once they have received their current bill. The one time credit adjustment will be processed up to February 28, 2007 .

Q. What does a customer do if they are still continuing to receive SPAM email in their BlackBerry Internet Service inbox?

A. There are two choices for customers. First choice, customers can setup filters on their @rogers.blackberry.net email account. The second choice is to remove the @rogers.blackberry.net email account. The @rogers.blackberry.net email account is a basic email account that is optional for customers. The Anti-SPAM filter on BIS does not provide user configurable settings for SPAM. Customers who no longer require the optional @rogers.blackberry.net email account can remove the account from their BlackBerry by clicking on the “Email Settings” icon or by selecting the Rogers WAP Browser and clicking “BlackBerry Internet Service”. Customers will be prompted for their username and password. Once logged in, click on “E-mail Accounts”. Next, click on the @rogers.blackberry.net email address. Click on “Delete” to remove the account. Customers can also access their BIS account from their personal computer by going to www.rogers.com/bis.

BIS will allow customers to add up 10 POP3/IMAP email accounts. Therefore if customers have another email address that has anti-SPAM, and they are still receiving SPAM email, they should contact their ISP or Email Service Provider to configure the settings that best suits the need of the customer.

Additional information about setting up filters or removing the @rogers.blackberry.net email account is available at http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/8021/270925/Receiving_SPAM_to_Hosted_BlackBerry.net_Address?no deid=1288260&vernum=0 or customers may contact Rogers Wireless Technical Support at 1-866-931-DATA (3282) for further assistance.

If you have any further questions, please contact your Rogers representative.