Hi all, I am an 8100 user, and love it to death. My ISP gave ... General Blackberry forum

JTC
    JTC no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    25101C26

Is it safe to give the IMEI no and PIN code to a potential buyer

Advertisement

Hi all,

I am an 8100 user, and love it to death. My ISP gave me an upgrade, and its the same model of handset.

As i dont need 2, i thought i'd sell the new one.

A potential buyer on ebay has asked for the IMEI number and the PIN number

What legitimate reason could he have for requesting this, and is it safe to give this information out in advance.?

The phone is advertised as Brand New In Box, I dont want to open it. Also this buyer has ZERO feedback on ebay.

I have nothing to hide, the phone isn't stolen, barred or otherwise locked. i just wondered what he needed the IMEI number for

Thanks
    Jim

milz no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    25701BC7
    The only reason I could think he'd need the IMEI number is to confirm that the phone is not stolen...however, I personally wouldn't trust a buyer on eBay that has zero feedback....I can't see why he'd need the PIN number though-maybe I'm missing something too...my advice-don't give it! Sounds a bit suspect to me!

CybaCowboy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21445DCA
    Like Milz said, he might want to check the IMEI against an online service that tracks lost/stolen phones, and he can't really do anything else with the IMEI, so I'd just give it to him...

As for the PIN, I can't see any "real" reason why he would need this in advance, so I would enquire as to what purpose he needs the PIN for before giving it to him.

~ Posted wirelessly from my BlackBerry 8800 (http://wap.pinstack.com) ~

doughdaddy no está en línea Device Pro
    I would be very carefull when giving out the IMEI or PIN to anyone that is a "potential" buyer. The IMEI you give them could be used and programmed into a different phone. Thereby making yours useless. Reprogramming a cell phone IMEI is possible so, no, I would not give out that info unles they sent you the money first.

Schufly no está en línea Stack level 3
    I wouldn't do it. Not for a Zero. Let him cut his Ebay teeth on some one elses investment. There are always other buyers. There are to many scammers out there Like Doughdaddy said. Good luck!
    Andy

Bluebell Wood no está en línea Stack level 3
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

He may be wanting to check that the PIN has been released from your BIS account so that he has no problems setting up the BB if he purchases it.

Give him that information without giving him the numbers.

Hopefully you have had the PIN released

Bluebell Wood no está en línea Stack level 3

Sorry its a new device I see & has not been registered.

Ignore my post and don't give him the numbers.

JTC
    JTC no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    25101C26
    Thank you all for your replies.

I will contact the buyer and direct him to this forum so he gains an understanding of my reluctance to give the information out.

Really appreciate all your advice.

Jim

CybaCowboy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21445DCA
    Quote Originally Posted by doughdaddy View Post
    The IMEI you give them could be used and programmed into a different phone. Thereby making yours useless. Reprogramming a cell phone IMEI is possible so, no, I would not give out that info unles they sent you the money first.
    Sorry, I'm gonna have to disagree with you here.

Changing an IMEI is not just a "click a few buttons and it's changed" system - it's a long, difficult process...

Furthermore, a growing number of manufacturers are designing their devices so that the IMEI CAN'T be changed without replacing physical components - I'm not sure about Research in Motion (RIM), but I know this is common practice for Nokia.

Anyway, changing IMEIs is VERY high-end stuff, and not too many people have the skills or knowledge to do it...

Quote Originally Posted by JTC View Post
    I will contact the buyer and direct him to this forum so he gains an understanding of my reluctance to give the information out.
    Tell him to go to http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ial_buyer.html - that's the DIRECT link to this SPECIFIC thread...

~ Posted wirelessly from my BlackBerry 8800 (http://wap.pinstack.com) ~

doughdaddy no está en línea Device Pro
    I'm sorry if you disagree with me. I hate to say it.. but if you Google "change IMEI" you will get more than enough hits as well as software links to change it.

The question was not whether the potential buyer was capable of doing it but more so what would be the harm. The harm would be that an advertised "new" in box phone has a value for the IMEI for those that can do it. It is not as easy as hitting a few buttons, but the point is it can be done and in most countries it is illegal (the UK carries a 5/yr prison term for doing it).

Don LuiG no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask
    I do lots ebay purchases and i wouldnt give out that information either

One of the first thing as a buyer or a seller you should always check the persons feedback also check to see were they are from usually if they are over seas I wouldnt trust them one bit if they dont have good feed back
    Thats were a lot of the scammers are from.