Policy bans Royal Bank of Canada staff from PIN messaging BlackBerry addicts at Royal Bank ... General Blackberry forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Royal Bank of Canada BlackBerry-addicted withdrawal pangs

Advertisement

Policy bans Royal Bank of Canada staff from PIN messaging

BlackBerry addicts at Royal Bank of Canada are about to suffer some painful withdrawal. The country's largest bank has barred much of its capital markets staff from sending so-called PIN messages on their handheld BlackBerry devices, and is considering a company-wide ban on the secretive communications if it cannot find some way to monitor them.

On Wednesday, the bank revoked PIN rights for any employees at its brokerage arm who deal directly with clients. Most of those affected work in sales, research and trading, said RBC spokeswoman Beja Rodeck, adding that the new policy was driven by regulatory requirements for overseeing electronic communications.

The bank also plans to hire a consulting firm to explore ways of tracking and archiving PIN correspondence for those who are still allowed to use the technology, said one source familiar with the matter.

The financial industry has long been enamoured of PIN-to-PIN messaging, which allows BlackBerry users to bypass conventional e-mail and send messages directly to a personal identification number. The reason for the PIN's popularity is privacy: If a message is deleted before the BlackBerry is slipped back in its cradle, it will not be downloaded to the main computer server.

Read more

BlackBerryGuide.com no está en línea Stack level 1
    From a corporate security standpoint, I've been pushing to ban pin2pin where I work too (won't happen, but I keep trying)...

Remember that PINs are device specific (you're sending a message to a device, not a person) where email is person specific (you're sending a message to a person, not one particular device).

What happens when a BB is replaced on warranty? Suddenly there's a new PIN... have all the busy directors updated their addressbooks with the new PIN? If they didn't they may unwittingly send information to a unit that the providers have

btw, food for thought... it wouldn't be that difficult to write an application that automatically forwards PIN's to an email account... this would allow IT staff to monitor PIN-to-PIN communication as well.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBerryGuide.com
    From a corporate security standpoint, I've been pushing to ban pin2pin where I work too (won't happen, but I keep trying)...

Remember that PINs are device specific (you're sending a message to a device, not a person) where email is person specific (you're sending a message to a person, not one particular device).

What happens when a BB is replaced on warranty? Suddenly there's a new PIN... have all the busy directors updated their addressbooks with the new PIN? If they didn't they may unwittingly send information to a unit that the providers have

btw, food for thought... it wouldn't be that difficult to write an application that automatically forwards PIN's to an email account... this would allow IT staff to monitor PIN-to-PIN communication as well.
    true...

jj0000 no está en línea Stack level 1

Archiving PIN

RBC should have looked at GWAVA. They archive PIN & SMS text messages off the BES www.gwava.com/blackberry