I just picked up an 8830 used off of a guy. He wiped the handset ... General Blackberry forum

splorch no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Ringtones and Notifications edit disaster!

Advertisement

I just picked up an 8830 used off of a guy. He wiped the handset and in the process wiped out all of the ringtones. This stopped me from being able to edit the profiles. The edit button would show up but you it would not open the edit menu. Every single sound on the handset was wiped out. So through the trouble shooting process I figured out to put an mp3 on the BB through Desktop Manager and that would let me edit the phone option in the edit screen.

However I still can not get in to edit the options for messages and SMS.

Are the notification noises supposed to go in a different folder in the directory that is separate from ringtones? Are notification noises a different file type? If anyone can go and look at their file directory and tell me what should be there and what should go where I think I can rebuild this thing manually.

Just as a note I am running 4.5.0.77 platform 3.2.0.51 on Telus.
    I have wiped out the handset and tried to do updates but the desktop manager program says it is up to date.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    You can use the apploader to install the os if DM won't. God I wish I was @ a computer.
    Think it is C/program/common/Research in motion/and the first folder (memory left me).
    Click the app loader and it should allow you to upgrade. I'm guessing once you do all the tones will be back.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

Ok I found the app loader, right where you said it would be! I fired it up and now it says

"the balckberry desktop software does not have blackberry device software for the device the oyu have connected to the computer. contact your wireless service provider or system admin"

I downloaded the Desktop softwear from the Rim site but did not use the CD that came in the box.

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    When you say you wiped the device. Do you mean you wiped it from the device options which only sets it back to factory. Or did you use jl_cmndr and totally wipe the OS from the device?

Check this thread:
    http://forums.pinstack.com/f227/latest_official_8830_8830m_os_april_22_a-92073/

If you wiped with jl_cmndr then you need to dl and install the device OS (different from DM) to your computer.

Myself personally used the wipe handheld option in the security section of the options.

The previous owner may have done a wipe using the jl_cmndr. I don't know though.

jl_cmndr wipes the OS off the device. I'm thinkin reinstalling the OS will get you set up.
    Here's another thread you may want to check out.

http://forums.pinstack.com/f61/updated_guide_installing_upgrading_device_operating_system-100243/

And if you have any questions/issues, just post em. Always someone to help here.

turns out there are a lot of issues with 4.5 beta on telus.
    i think the guy i got it off of put 4.5 on it.
    Im going to downgrade back 4.2 and hopefully that works. I will keep you in the loop tho.

Well good luck. Hope it works out.