I here this issue day in and day out about which phone is better, a ... General Blackberry forum

djlitez no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    241C50A0

Smile RIM's target market (why we can't compare BB with iphone)

Advertisement

I here this issue day in and day out about which phone is better, a Blackberry or an iPhone. I have heard this from friends, co-workers and family members. It's simply not fair to be comparing two phones designed for different markets.

If we recall, blackberry designed devices for the professional world. To this day, it is in RIM's best interest to continue to acomodate the business world. They make their money from selling devices and BES services to corporations and mid-size businesses. Users who buy BB's for their personal use, is their secondary objective.

The iPhone on the other hand, is designed for personal users primarily for non-professional use. Apple targets a different market all together.

You cannot compare apples to oranges.

I'm curious to find out what others think.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by djlitez View Post
    I here this issue day in and day out about which phone is better, a Blackberry or an iPhone. I have heard this from friends, co-workers and family members. It's simply not fair to be comparing two phones designed for different markets.

If we recall, blackberry designed devices for the professional world. To this day, it is in RIM's best interest to continue to acomodate the business world. They make their money from selling devices and BES services to corporations and mid-size businesses. Users who buy BB's for their personal use, is their secondary objective.

The iPhone on the other hand, is designed for personal users primarily for non-professional use. Apple targets a different market all together.

You cannot compare apples to oranges.

I'm curious to find out what others think.
    I agree with you 100% , you hit the nail right on the head. There is no comparison between the iPhone and the Bold whatsoever.

However now that RIM has released the BlackBerry Storm we finally have a BB model that _was_ designed to be a direct competitor to the iPhone and it's going to be a great comparison. Time will tell now that it's just been released, what public acceptance is like and how it does compare. I'm looking forward to watching this play out.

Cheers

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F
    I agree, the original target markets were different. Since however current technology does make it feasible to be all things to all people, so to speak, I did
    expect RIM to move into Apple's yard (apple orchard?! ). And it is doing so.

After all, BES Admins can turn fun features off!

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    We will know shortly, but if indeed the Storm is better than the iPhone, Apple will be besides themselves in grief.... I can hardly contain myself....

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F
    Steve will have a cow?!

macallik no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    We will know shortly, but if indeed the Storm is better than the iPhone, Apple will be besides themselves in grief.... I can hardly contain myself....
    There will be a bunch of rotten apples then... lol

rjs87 no está en línea Stack level 3
    its just like the difference between PCs in macs, mac are great but they run very few business programs mainly just general programs like MS word, excell, outlook, where business programs are made mainly for PCs i think that's what makes apple such a unique company is they target different markets.
    **There are 2 types of people in this world: those who use the search bar and those who do not**

djlitez no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    241C50A0
    Quote Originally Posted by rjs87 View Post
    its just like the difference between PCs in macs, mac are great but they run very few business programs mainly just general programs like MS word, excell, outlook, where business programs are made mainly for PCs i think that's what makes apple such a unique company is they target different markets.
    You're absolutely right. My friends all have macbooks, 4 of them having the iphone, and they keep telling me to get a macbook and an iphone. I simply cannot wrap my mind around Apple products simply because it's totally incompatible for my application. I need a blackberry for my company emails (which I cannot do with the iphone) and a PC to be able to run my business tools (which aren't compatible with mac OSX). So it's going to be a BB and PC for a while to come!

Cheers!

Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3047D925
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    I agree with you 100% , you hit the nail right on the head. There is no comparison between the iPhone and the Bold whatsoever.

However now that RIM has released the BlackBerry Storm we finally have a BB model that _was_ designed to be a direct competitor to the iPhone and it's going to be a great comparison. Time will tell now that it's just been released, what public acceptance is like and how it does compare. I'm looking forward to watching this play out.

Cheers
    I agree! Taking the business user on a device vacation. Making the device more playful.