It seems RIM and Motorola are at loggerheads. Motorola is firing... RIM is hiring... but ... General Blackberry forum

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F

RIM vs Motorola ?!

Advertisement

It seems RIM and Motorola are at loggerheads. Motorola is firing... RIM is hiring... but Motorola wants no RIM hiring of those Motorola is firing.

(Huh?! )

[ BTW, don't you just HATE these new emoticons? ]

http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/12/26/142227

RIM Accuses Motorola of Blocking Job Offers

Posted by ScuttleMonkey on Friday December 26, @08:48AM
    from the if-i-can-have-you-nobody-will dept.

theodp writes "Taking a page from the insanely-jealous-husband-playbook, Motorola management has adopted an if-I-can't-have-you-nobody-can stance on its fired employees, reportedly blocking RIM from offering jobs to laid-off workers. In a complaint filed in state court, Motorola is charged with improperly trying to expand a previous agreement 'to prevent the RIM entities from hiring any Motorola employees, including the thousands of employees Motorola has already fired or will fire.' Through its Compete America membership, Motorola has repeatedly warned Congress that failing to accommodate the lobbying group members' 'principled' demand for timely access to talent would not be in the United States' economic interest and would make the US second-rate in education and basic research."

zyiro no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    302A0AFF
    I can gurantee you that Motorola has the authority and legal right to forbid ex-motorola employees from going directly to RIM. Any decent company will make a new employee sign a non-compete clause. This clause usually requires the employee to wait 12-18 months before they can work for a direct competitor. So if the fired employees go directly to RIM Motorola has the right to take legal action against RIM and the former employee.

applejosh no está en línea Stack level 3
    According to one of my friends, these laws are rarely enforceable, especially, if the employee was laid off or fired from company A. The ex-employee has a right to earn a living. (Of course for high level executives, there may be some sort of exception given the high level information.) At least that's how it used to be.
    applejosh
    iPhone 4 (AT&T)
    OS 4.3

bmanley no está en línea Stack level 4
    I think your right. If you are laid off you do have the right to find employment from were ever you want. If you leave to go to the other company then yes this could go to court.

VR
    VR no está en línea Stack level 3
    I think it helps to stop ex-employees from stealing information and ideas. From a business pov it has to do trade secrets and keep to the competition from trying to steal employees for this reason.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

applejosh no está en línea Stack level 3
    I agree with the reasoning behind non-compete agreements, but I think it's better suited to use an NDA. My belief has always been that I don't provide a new employer with insider information about previous employers. I make that known upfront. That said, people aren't always ethical as this and going to extremes like non-compete agreements may be a way of scaring employees into submission. Doesn't mean I agree with the tactic (especially if the former employee was involuntarily dismissed), but I do see the reasoning behind it.
    applejosh
    iPhone 4 (AT&T)
    OS 4.3