Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

^^lol damnit im gettin one ipod that is i love my first gen nano but ... General Blackberry forum

fritter no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Re: RIM threatened by recent price drop in 8gb iPhone

Advertisement

^^lol damnit im gettin one ipod that is i love my first gen nano but the "hobbit" is not for me

GBallew no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2404b3a8

lol, this iPod should be code named "Hobbit".

...at least in the Pinstack community
    Cingular is now the new at&t

Prorock no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by GBallew
    lol, this iPod should be code named "Hobbit".

...at least in the Pinstack community
    Amen brother!

gk0820 no está en línea Stack level 2

This thread make me wish I had waited and brought an Iphone.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

iPod touch will only come in 2 flavors 8GB and 16GB for now...too small for my tastes. Once SSHD gets larger then I will probably buy one.

rabbie303 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

IMO RIM is in no way threatened by the iphone. The iphone never will be a business type phone so it's all just a matter of marketing to different people with different needs. Don't get me wrong it is a nice phone and the touch pad is rather nice (coming from a treo 650) but I don't think RIM is in any danger. Unless the corp. users are going to be busting out ipods during their board meetings and exchanging mp3's
    ~Erich~
    ---60% of the time it works every time--

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

I'd say that apple is more threatened by apple. Reduced the iPhone price because the iPod touch was going to cut in to it's sales too much if they didn't.

Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Yea, the only thing keeping them back is themselves. If they would have let 3rd party applications develope on the iphone it could have been soooo much better. But since they have the mentality of a monopoly and keep everything to themselves I think it backfired on them. Oh well.

hls811 no está en línea I dress myself!
    PIN/ID
    30B8DA04

Quote Originally Posted by fritter
    sounds to me apple is threatened with RIM since iphone isnt taking off like the analyst thought
    Did you just make that statement up?

"Apple also announced that it is on track to sell its one-millionth iPhone before the end of September", which if you go back to its launch is exactly what they thought they'd do. Its taking off exactly as they planned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."

hls811 no está en línea I dress myself!
    PIN/ID
    30B8DA04

Quote Originally Posted by reddog187
    Yea, the only thing keeping them back is themselves. If they would have let 3rd party applications develope on the iphone it could have been soooo much better. But since they have the mentality of a monopoly and keep everything to themselves I think it backfired on them. Oh well.
    I see your viewpoint with this - its the same argument for all Mac equipment - but I don't have any issues with them limiting their 3rd party involvement. I'm a very happy mac user and I've learned to hate Windows (although I do have to use it for work), but while Microsoft gets the bulk of my criticism, its not so much them as it is the 3rd party vendors that don't necessarily work correctly. I think Apple is making a good decision to keep a closer wrap on what they've developed; if something doesn't work its their fault and they can fix it. 3rd parties will develop their own methods to do things w/ the iPhone but they don't need to encourage/support it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    I'd say that apple is more threatened by apple. Reduced the iPhone price because the iPod touch was going to cut in to it's sales too much if they didn't.

Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Exactly.. if they priced the Touch to match the iPhone people would be hesitant, but at the same price people need to decide what they prefer; double the storage or Phone and email capabilities on the go. I think the pricing makes sense.. (and I'm sure by the end of the year there'll be a $499 16GB iPhone to choose from...)

Quote Originally Posted by rabbie303
    IMO RIM is in no way threatened by the iphone. The iphone never will be a business type phone so it's all just a matter of marketing to different people with different needs. Don't get me wrong it is a nice phone and the touch pad is rather nice (coming from a treo 650) but I don't think RIM is in any danger. Unless the corp. users are going to be busting out ipods during their board meetings and exchanging mp3's
    I think there is a difference in the typical buyer of both a BB and an iPhone but its not as defined as I initially thought.. My (former) boss surprised me and bought one; while I knew he was a Mac user he was very opposed to carrying a BB or smart phone, and surprisingly he does regularly use the mail on his iPhone. I think in some ways the iPhone will open the door for people who were afraid of being tethered but still like gadgets and possibly even start people off easy and they'll eventually progress to the more business oriented BB's.
    Last edited by hls811; 09-05-2007 at 10:58 PM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."

Yellowfin no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    317F3C36

There are iPhone people and there are BB people. Simple as that. There are people who never owned a PDA/Smartphone/BB until the Pearl and the Pearl did it for them. Same as the iPhone. Sure, many of them are sheep, but the majority of them are being lured away from non-data phones rather than BB's. Hence the iPhone is about as much of a threat to RIM as an avalanche in Egypt.

skunk22civic no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2408989b

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ haha that was a good one yellowfin!

Paian no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Bb ftw

Yes this msg is short but sweet to the point

ma077146 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3019F3E6

Quote Originally Posted by hls811
    Did you just make that statement up?

"Apple also announced that it is on track to sell its one-millionth iPhone before the end of September", which if you go back to its launch is exactly what they thought they'd do. Its taking off exactly as they planned.
    HLS, just because a company says it's doing something, doesn't mean they really are. Steve Jobs has a board and stockholders to appease just like every other businessman. I'm not saying they're "cooking the books and sales figures", but "on track to sell it's one-millionth iPhone before the end of September" is a broad statement with a lot of wiggle room in it.

Does it mean, "We've sold 500,000 of these since we started, and if we sell another 500,000 before the end of September, we'll meet our 1,000,000 target", or does it mean that since they've started selling them, they've averaged 3000,000 a month?

Without personally looking into their sales figures from a reiliable sales sheet, it's almost impossible to tell.

GBallew no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2404b3a8

that is true, there were statements from Apple saying they sold 500,000 in the first 3 days.

...it was actually 280,00-300,000. I dont remember the exact number though...
    Cingular is now the new at&t

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast