Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Made you look! OK. admittedly, this is a major pet peeve. RIM dose'nt support Linux ... General Blackberry forum

Denigris no está en línea Stack level 2

RIM Hates penguins!

Advertisement

Made you look!

OK. admittedly, this is a major pet peeve. RIM dose'nt support Linux in any way I have seen, and they certainly don't appear to think it's important for Linux users to be able to use the blackberry pc tools. I realize that they don't want to wake up grumpy old Mr. Microsoft, but come on guys: you're a business tool that's breaking into a consumer market.Businesses have used unix variants for decades, and linux for years. Can you entertain the fact that there is a large, and growing, consumer linux market out there? I had to install XP on a spare machine just to back up my BB. Yuk!

Ok. I feel better now. I needed to vent. Thanks for being there for me - Denigris

mrmoe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Smile Re: RIM Hates penguins!

Once Android gets going I'm sure the BB community will embrace *nix developers. =]
    My deepest Condolences on MS install.
    Last edited by mrmoe; 03-06-2008 at 02:50 AM.
    Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most.
    | The DarkSide of PinStack | FAQ | Downloads |

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Re: RIM Hates penguins!

I'm right there with you. The Linux backup tools aren't up to par with the RIM DM for windows. And I keep having to borrow my girlfriend's computer to upgrade OS or install apps cause I doubt we'll see a Linux DM any time soon.
    And it does beg the question, you hear of all these businesses running Linux, then you hear of them all using Blackberries, do they keep an XP computer in the closet just for the Blackberries?
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

jjames42 no está en línea Stack level 2

Has anyone here tried running the DM under Wine in Linux? I do not currently have a Linux distro installed, so I have not be able to try this.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Quote Originally Posted by BenMarvin View Post
    . . .And it does beg the question, you hear of all these businesses running Linux, then you hear of them all using Blackberries, do they keep an XP computer in the closet just for the Blackberries?
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    No, they have an Exchange Server, A BES server and use OTA reconciliation between the BB and the Servers so they don't need local back ups. And just how many major companies that provide Blackberry Devices use linux machines for normal desktop machines?

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Quote Originally Posted by jjames42 View Post
    Has anyone here tried running the DM under Wine in Linux? I do not currently have a Linux distro installed, so I have not be able to try this.

kolosus no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    315677A8
    Wine wont support external stuff like USB devices... Cedega may... but I'm allergic to paying for software.

Sorry about the blank quote post. My bad ):
    At any rate, I was going to say that I tried quite hard to get wine (a windows emulator for Linux for those that are unfamiliar), to work with the BB tools. Many hours spent yielded no results. At all. The program uses proprietary DLL's that wine has no way to handle (yet).it's not just me. The wine website and related forums have everyone who has tried to do it agreeing unanimously that it blows. The tools just aren't that well written. If any one manages it let us all know!

Denigris

CoolFinalFan no está en línea Stack level 4

Lightbulb

check it out > http://www.petitiononline.com/bb1d1234/petition.html

for Linux USB Driver support

broch no está en línea Stack level 2

petition? why?
    you have berrycharge in the linux kernel
    CONFIG_USB_BERRY_CHARGE = m
    for backup and blackberry charging (better than kernel solution) use barry software. However this will require disabling USB_BERRY_CHARGE module which does not provide (by default) enough power to charge BB
    once module is disabled (either blacklisted or removed from kernel)
    connect BB to usb port
    you will get error (on BB screen) that device can't be charged
    run bcharge and you are done with BB charging
    rest of tools provided by barry allow syncing and backing up device

some distros provide charging capabilities by default (e.g. ubuntu, fedora) other don't but barry will take care of everything linux user needs for his/her beloved blackberry.

there are other and better reasons to petition RIM to open device specifications (which will not happen for long time for obvious reasons)

peterthill no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    281860C8
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolFinalFan View Post

Signed
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery

galvatron no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240582a8
    heres that sad thing PALM of all people has linux suport WTF? NO RIM LOVE

comon if palm can run on linux distros lik ubuntu kubuntu and fedora rim can have a crack at it. an ubenknowns t most forums an mailservices like HOTMAIL run on linux

Hoping not to get too far off topic here. All IBM servers run on an in-house flavor of Linux right out the factory door. It's the product OS now. *nix such as BSD and Linux are the OS engines for a huge segment of the server heavy lifters. Google was originally (still is?) built with Python and C on a Linux OS. I work for a large university medical center that encompasses multiple entities including support for the Local VA. The interface system is windows XP Pro on a Novell fiber optic network. The Central Servers are all Linux. The extent to which world computer networks rely on *nix is vast and the best kept secret with the general public. Sorry, I hope I don't get slapped for the off topic. Just a bit of "did you know" minus any Windows bashing, which is silly.

Best,

Denigris

galvatron no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240582a8
    wel m$ actusly y promotes redhat an i think suse

broch no está en línea Stack level 2
    it does not really matter what google is running.
    linux is not enterprise OS (neither is OS X). This is still exclusively windows domain (I am using BSD and linux since 94').

RIM will not release any specifications because of heating up competition with Apple. Only option would be linux lab at RIM. Similar to nVidia setup.
    But I doubt that this will happen anytime soon if at all.

basic software is available
    you can use either barry or XmBlackberry to get
    charging
    syncing
    backing up device
    tethering
    on linux with blackberry

all this available for pretty long time

missing pieces are related to OS and software installation.

status of Berry USB module would suggest that petition in current state is invalid as requested goals are achieved already.
    In fact I prefer linux over vista for music, wallpapers, ringtones installation. File transfer is much faster.

side note: MS has deal only with Novell and this is pretty screwed collaboration anyway, so RIM (or any other company) will never be able to take advantage of this deal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast