Maybe someone can help me. I've spent the past 2 1/2 hours on with Verizon, ... General Blackberry forum

jujubee1274 no está en línea Stack level 1

Restoring backed up information

Advertisement

Maybe someone can help me. I've spent the past 2 1/2 hours on with Verizon, only to be told there was nothing that could be done. I backed up my data to my PC back in March when I had to switch devices. I used the Backup/Restore feature on the Desktop Manager software from Verizon. I had no problem restoring it to the new device. Well, I've had some major issue with my 7130e today, and lost everything. Had to wipe the device, reinstall the OS and service books. But for some reason I can't reinstall my backed up info. The error message I'm getting is "The file could not be opened. It does not appear to be a valid device database file." It saved as a .ipd file, which is a BlackBerry thing. Any thoughts, or is my info gone for good?
    Thanks!

Re: Restoring backed up information

Quote Originally Posted by jujubee1274
    Maybe someone can help me. I've spent the past 2 1/2 hours on with Verizon, only to be told there was nothing that could be done. I backed up my data to my PC back in March when I had to switch devices. I used the Backup/Restore feature on the Desktop Manager software from Verizon. I had no problem restoring it to the new device. Well, I've had some major issue with my 7130e today, and lost everything. Had to wipe the device, reinstall the OS and service books. But for some reason I can't reinstall my backed up info. The error message I'm getting is "The file could not be opened. It does not appear to be a valid device database file." It saved as a .ipd file, which is a BlackBerry thing. Any thoughts, or is my info gone for good?
    Thanks!
    I'm thinking that the file somehow became corrupted on the PC. If you do regular PC backups there might be another copy of the file somewhere?

The .ipd file can be opened with notepad (right-click the file, choose "Open With", scroll down to Notepad) and then you can find all of your user data manually, but somehow getting it to the 7130 would be a major pain. Stare at the computer screen, manually unput the info into the BB, etc. -- but at least it would be readable so you could find the most important information.