Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have a 8100, and I am thinking about getting the 8900 in the near ... General Blackberry forum

paulypaul no está en línea Stack level 3

Restore question: thinking about upgrading from my 8100 to 8900

Advertisement

I have a 8100, and I am thinking about getting the 8900 in the near future.

with my 8100 v4.5 I use DesktopManager 4.7 to backup my addressbook as a txt file, and I back my whole system to a .idp file. I do this weekly.

when I get my 8900 and drop my SIM in, I assume I can use DM 4.7 to push my address book from my computer to my new BB.

But will I be able to restore all my apps?

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    you need to do a third party apps back up, and also keep in mind that some apps for the pearl may not be compatible with 8900
    When i say i have Bold family phones, I meant it, from the older to the younger, even the unborn ;)

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    You can also use the Device Switch Wizard inside DM. I went from the 8120 to 8900 no problem using it. As Ealvnv said, there are some apps that just will not work after you do it.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

paulypaul no está en línea Stack level 3
    cool, I accept that some apps are made for v4.5, and they will not run in v4.6.
    the big thing is the address book.

Grafixx01 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30B5F65E
    Quote Originally Posted by paulypaul View Post
    cool, I accept that some apps are made for v4.5, and they will not run in v4.6.
    the big thing is the address book.

I'm not sure that any apps for the Peral would work on the 8900 simply due to the screen resolution, let alone the OS version. Its the same problem that I'm having with the Tour. Some apps work and some don't. But that's also a different OS too.

I believe that the 8900 is on 4.7.0.xxx and the Peral is on 4.5 so I'm going to say that I'd be surprised if you get any of them to work with the exception of some big apps like Bolt, Opera, BerryWeather, etc.

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Also something you can do is sync your address book with Gmail in case there is a problem. If this is your biggest concern I would for sure do it because where there shouldn't be an issue with the device switch wizard there is ways a possibility of errors.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

PIN/ID
    30B5F65E
    Quote Originally Posted by moderncowboy View Post
    Also something you can do is sync your address book with Gmail in case there is a problem. If this is your biggest concern I would for sure do it because where there shouldn't be an issue with the device switch wizard there is ways a possibility of errors.

I was looking at that with my 5 BlackBerries, then figured that I don't want people to possibly hack my gmail account and get into it so I end up backing up the device like once a month to my desktop and laptop computers. I think it's easier, plus I get all the 3rd party apps like themes, games, applications.

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Quote Originally Posted by Grafixx01 View Post
    I'm not sure that any apps for the Peral would work on the 8900 simply due to the screen resolution, let alone the OS version. Its the same problem that I'm having with the Tour. Some apps work and some don't. But that's also a different OS too.

I believe that the 8900 is on 4.7.0.xxx and the Peral is on 4.5 so I'm going to say that I'd be surprised if you get any of them to work with the exception of some big apps like Bolt, Opera, BerryWeather, etc.
    correction the 8900 is on OS 4.6.1

Quote Originally Posted by moderncowboy View Post
    good point or sync with yahoo mail or outlook too...
    When i say i have Bold family phones, I meant it, from the older to the younger, even the unborn ;)

PIN/ID
    30B5F65E
    ealvnv,

My bad. I thought it was on 4.7 but it's on 4.6? Cool, thanks for the correction.

smooth10 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    I have a friend that upgraded from a 8130 to a 8900 and had no problem getting their address book contacts switched over using Desktop Manager 4.7

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Quote Originally Posted by Grafixx01 View Post
    ealvnv,

My bad. I thought it was on 4.7 but it's on 4.6? Cool, thanks for the correction.
    no problems man

Quote Originally Posted by smooth10 View Post
    I have a friend that upgraded from a 8130 to a 8900 and had no problem getting their address book contacts switched over using Desktop Manager 4.7
    i did mine from the 8320 to the 8900 and no probs too, either with the apps or address book

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Should be no problems with the address book or calendars, basically anything inherent to the BB, but some 3rd party apps, like about 3-4 of my games I had, are device specific and wouldn't work.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    How to upgrade your OS

Lizzdmc no está en línea Stack level 1

Lightbulb 8100 >> 8900

I just did what you are talking about last month... I had a Pearl 8100 and switched to the Javelin (Curve) 8900. My Contact and Calendar data migration was fine. However, some of my applications, themes, etc. made it - some did not. I was able to go to third-party companies that I had originally purchased software from to inquire about versions for the 8900. Again, some had it - some did not. Also, some upgrades were free - some were not. Unfortunately, there is no pat answer. You will just have to experiment. On the flip side, I love my new 8900! Good luck.

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Personally I like BPlay for a lot of my games/themes simply because they do allow you I believe it's 2 PIN switches per year in the event you switch devices. Unfortunately, when I made my migration, some of the games I had purchased weren't available for the 8900 and some were discontinued altogether.
    How to upgrade your OS

RayZ no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by paulypaul View Post
    I have a 8100, and I am thinking about getting the 8900 in the near future.

with my 8100 v4.5 I use DesktopManager 4.7 to backup my addressbook as a txt file, and I back my whole system to a .idp file. I do this weekly.

when I get my 8900 and drop my SIM in, I assume I can use DM 4.7 to push my address book from my computer to my new BB.

But will I be able to restore all my apps?
    I used the Device Switch wizard in DM and it worked like a charm...no problems at all. I went from the 8120 to the 8900. You are going to love the 8900, it's awesome! The BB messenger 5.0 is really cool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast