Need your advice. How can I reset BB as the hard reset in pocketPC? And ... General Blackberry forum

chinawus no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2048B739

reset BB

Advertisement

Need your advice. How can I reset BB as the hard reset in pocketPC? And after reset it how can I reinstall all backup data from PC? Thx,

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: reset BB

What is the reason you want to do a Hard Reset? The reason I ask is that it will impact what advice to give you. There are more levels of "reset" on for a BB than there are for PocketPC devices.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

chinawus no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2048B739

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Rcbjr, Thanks in your advise. Please let's me know all reset level. It's for my infomation only. Thanks,

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Chinawus, here are what some people consider Resets

1. Hot Reboot - ALT+CAP+DEL. Clears some memory problems
    2. Cold reboot - Battery Out, wait 15-30 sec, Battery Back in. Clears more memory problems and some java errors.
    3. Security Wipe - Options/Security Options/General Settings, select Wipe Handheld from the Menu. Erases all personal data.
    4. Reload OS with Apps Loader - Select Do not restore Data. Not sure exactly what is erased/deleted here.
    5. Complete Wipe - use javaloader (or JL_Cmder script) Wipe option - erases all Software and data from handheld. Requires Reload of the OS to return Handheld to operation.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

nmadd no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Really good post! This is great info for a newb like me. Thanks.

szgabor no está en línea Stack level 1
    I would like to delete the personal data only ( before sending back to the person I bought it from). I have a 8707g. The problem is, that the solution:
    3. Security Wipe - Options/Security Options/General Settings, select Wipe Handheld from the Menu. Erases all personal data.
    does not function, as in my menu under General Settings I do not find "Wipe handheld" as an option.

Also, this was originally an Optus BB, and then sold from Germany to me, and I do not find the right OS in order to use reset no.5.

But I have the feeling, that the previous owner could have done something like that and maybe putting back wrong OS, and that's why I do not have all the options ???

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b
    You can download an application called JLcmder, which will erase all the data on your BB, but you will need to reinstall the OS before anyone can use the BB.

Let us know if you are interested and we will go from there...

szgabor no está en línea Stack level 1
    Dear cp6169,
    Thx for your help. I did download it, but was afraid to go on resetting, as I do not find the original OS, as mentioned before. I figured another option:
    The desktop software backup program, after backing up all information I could go into "details" and delete the most important information I wanted. I am unsure whether I succeeded to delete all, but most of them surely.
    Actually, some SMS-ses remained, and I deleted them manually one by one...
    Anyhow with this machine I will not request more info, as I am just packing and sending back to the person I bought from...:-(

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

jhowle no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3115EE05
    Umm Jlcommander Doesn't Wipe The Device Completely. If It Did You Wouldn't Beable To Connect It And Reload It Because Your Pc Hase To Be Able To Communicate With The Phone In Order For The App Loader To Negotiate A Reinstall With The Device. All It Erases Is A Few Key Files That The Phone Needs To Boot The Os And They Are Not Stored In Rom Image Such As The Pim Files Etc Etc. If You Were To Remove Everything From The Device It Would Be Like Deleting The Master Boot Record Of You Computers Harddrive. When This Is Done The Hard Drive Is Unbootable. When A Hard Drive Is Pre Formatted At The Factory The Mbr As It Is Called Is Created And It Lays Out The Stucture Of The Drive And When It Is Formated The Partition Table Is Written Into The Mbr. Hince With The Bb A Simple File Is Created In The Rom That Lays Out The Stucture Of The Rom Chip Acting As A Mbr. Any Type Of Memory Device Has One And It Is Invisable. If This Is Removed Than Is Is Un Recoverable.
    Looking for new buddies. Add me pin# 3115EE05

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    jhowle, I beg to differ with your assessment. I believe that the javaloader -wipe -usb command does delete the OS completely. But there is still the equivalent of the PC CMOS start up capability. To match your analogy, doing a wipe is like formating your hard drive. You will still have access to the CMOS and that will allow booting from a disk, or if the CMOS allows, from a USB Drive.

The Desktop Manager, will force a load over the USB, addressing the the equivalent of the PC CMOS to format the Flash Memory, including the MBR and then installing the OS then doing a reboot. This is a simple explanation, and doesn't go into all the posibilities or specific details, because I don't know the exact architecture of the BB devices, but I don't imagine they are much different for most programable computers.

Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer