This issue is with my Curve 8320, but I'm posting in the General area because ... General Blackberry forum

NickAC no está en línea Stack level 3

Replacement keyboard fix

Advertisement

This issue is with my Curve 8320, but I'm posting in the General area because it may apply to other BBs as well.

I recently ordered a replacement black full housing including black keyboard. Blackberry looked awesome, but I found the replacement keyboard to feel kind of mushy - especially around the keys in the middle of the key pad. Letters F, G, H, J, etc. Putting my original silver keyboard back in felt great again but didn't look as nice to me. Ordered another black keyboard and that felt mushy as well.

Today, I took the Curve apart to investigate some more and found something interesting between the two keyboards. If you look at the attached image, you'll see that the silver original keyboard has slots in between keys where as the replacement black keyboard does not. Made me think the lack of slots was causing the base membrane to provide too much resistance when a key was pressed, giving this mushy feeling.

I used an Xacto knife to cut slots in a similar pattern as the original keyboard and reassembled. Feels great now!!

Just wanted to pass this along in case anyone else has this issue ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Awesome fix man, as is the case with most aftermarket items, they just never seem right. I applaud the fact that you modified the one you wanted and got it working nicely. I just sanded and painted my bold bezel. Stacks like us can't leave things stock for long,lol
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

Thanks! The weird thing was that both of these were advertised as being "OEM" products. And they do look well made and of good quality, except for those slots being cut out. As I found out - that was integral to making it feel good!

Yeah, and as for leaving things stock, well, every time I saw a picture of the blacked out 8330 on Sprint, I just got jealous and had to make mine look the same!

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Interesting that they would be different. I just replaced the faceplate on my wife's curve. The tutorials showed pulling the whole thing apart when all you really need to do is pull the faceplate off. Things aren't always what they seem. Thanks for the info

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

You're right - replacing the faceplate/housing of the curve is pretty straightforward - I think I've seen that tutorial too!

I had ordered the housing from an ebay vendor. After the black keyboard didn't feel right, I ordered another keyboard from cnn.cn. I had been in communication with them about this issue before I ordered it, but their keyboard turned out to have the same mushy feeling (and no slots). After fixing it, I reported these results to them as well. The emailed back saying they'd check with the vendor to find out why the slots weren't cut out like the originals. Who knows - maybe they'll just be able to fix this on future keyboards?!
    Last edited by NickAC; 04-27-2009 at 09:48 AM.