Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Originally Posted by vince1 Cannt see RIM changing the design of the trackball. As it ... General Blackberry forum

icaro2000 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask me!

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by vince1 View Post
    Cannt see RIM changing the design of the trackball. As it is its not a great design with the dirt issues.
    I have noticed that the 8310 rollers have groves in them while my old 8100 had smooth rollers.
    Would the glass ball be more abrasive on the rollers which would cause them to fail?
    This would not bother me once it lasted a bit of time as I'd just keep spares for when this happened.
    My 8120 rollers have grooves in them as well, and the smooth hardglass ball did not register on them. I would think that if they were smooth, they wouldn't register either. I think the only way smooth glass will register, is if the rollers had a grippy surface like some kind of rubber.

We will see if sandblasted rollers will register or not. There is a possibility that no matter how textured they are, they will be too hard for the ridged rollers to pick up on it. We will have to see about this to be sure. I really hope it does work.

Possibly there is a tech genius out there that could figure out a way to modify the roller to catch on smooth glass?

stimpy1515 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Just a thought, why not try to rubberize the rollers with
    A) little rubber hose. Hoses of different sizes are available at hobby shops.
    B) try painting them with rubber cement. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    Ask me!
    Quote Originally Posted by stimpy1515 View Post
    Just a thought, why not try to rubberize the rollers with
    A) little rubber hose. Hoses of different sizes are available at hobby shops.
    B) try painting them with rubber cement. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Good ideas. I thought about this, but I am not sure about finding and using rubber hoses. It might be possible but out of my territory. I think that coating the rollers in something like rubber cement or some other kind of rubber-like adhesive polymer might be possible perhaps.

vexvegaz no está en línea Stack level 2
    Great thread everyone. But I was wondering, has anyone tried dye'n stock trackball, I think ritdye would work well to do this mod

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

This is a option http://www.superior-industries.com/w...oduct_203.html ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Also, when all this works, why not sell the whole trackball assembly complete with the glass trackball in already? Seems its getting real complicated for the average person to put new trackball in and fix the tiny rollers ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Schufly no está en línea Stack level 3
    With the size of the rollers, elecrictal heat shrink tubing may be an option, but you would need the skill of a jewler to not damage the tiny components. Hopefully a coarse sandblasting can create the same effect,
    Andy

dj_polak15 no está en línea Stack level 3
    one small idea is going to take alot of money

snipes mcgee no está en línea Stack level 4
    This is really cool...I can't wait for this to be perfected.

boob_1029 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32C73EFE
    Quote Originally Posted by dj_polak15 View Post

But hopefully make more

PIN/ID
    Ask me!
    Quote Originally Posted by stimpy1515 View Post
    Also, when all this works, why not sell the whole trackball assembly complete with the glass trackball in already? Seems its getting real complicated for the average person to put new trackball in and fix the tiny rollers ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Thats probably a really good idea. I thought about this too...I think it is definitely worth considering.

I'm not going to my shop until tomorrow. I plan on making a bunch of balls and then I will try to texture the surfaces of them somehow.

I need to know the exact outer diameter of the scroll ball.
    Do we know that it is definitely a 5.5 mm ball? I thought that 5.5 seemed a little too big. I just got my caliper in the mail, so I can measure them to exact size. I could use some extra scroll balls for measuring and as models. As it is now, I only have my new 8120 at my disposal, and I definitely am not going to experiment on this one. Basically I need to get my hands on the oem ball,out of the housing.

Another variable that I think might play a roll in the scroll ball design is the weight of the ball itself. The plastic oem ball is fairly light. When it sits in the housing. you can press down on it slightly (this is when the rollers will register it when you scroll the ball). When you let go of the ball after slightly pressing on it, it goes back up into the original "neutral" position. You can see this effect with your own blackberry by viewing the ball up close and from the side of the phone. I am wondering if the glass would be too heavy for the rollers to hold it up in the "neutral" position. Do you guys follow that?
    Last edited by icaro2000; 05-26-2008 at 03:37 PM.

PIN/ID
    Ask me!
    Quote Originally Posted by dj_polak15 View Post
    Very true.

dj_polak15 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by icaro2000 View Post
    Very true.
    so you better know what you are doing cause if the idea don't work then you would move on to the next and your pockets hopefully are deep. And if this whole idea dont work then it was a waste of time but at least you know now that you cannot do it

PIN/ID
    Ask me!

I thought about the weight of the ball issue as well and if this is a problem you could use a non-conductive spring to "hold" up the track ball. Just solder the spring onto the bottom of the trackball assembly on the part that pushes down to make it "click". I bet a watch shop that repairs has a spring that would work. But the spring has to not conduct electricity or it will not "click".
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~