Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

I have to say I love the idea of making trackballs. Granted it's a little ... General Blackberry forum

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

Advertisement

I have to say I love the idea of making trackballs. Granted it's a little advanced for the typical phone user to change the ball, this would be a great feature for current and future BB's. I wonder is RIM ever thought of this? They seem to want to get into the consumer market, but they don't really seem to be in touch with what the usual consumer phone user wants as far as customization goes. Phones are an accessory now, yet they don't seem to offer anything that really let's you make the BB your own, 3rd party really seems to have this down.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Last edited by DCookSta; 05-22-2008 at 02:54 PM. Reason: fixed typo's

tws777 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by DCookSta View Post
    I have to say I love the idea of making trackballs. Granted it's a little advanced for the typical phone user to change the ball, this would be a great feature for current and future BB's. I wonder is RIM ever thought of this? They seen to want to get into the consumer market, but they don't really seem to be in touch with what the usual consumer phone user wants as far as customization goes. Phones are an accessery now, yet they don't seem to offer anything that really let's you make the BB your own, 3rd party really seems to have this down.

I think if RIM would have thought of this, they would have made it very easy to removal/ dissasemble the trackball. I don't think RIM will ever market different trackballs on any of the existing BB models.

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157
    Quote Originally Posted by tws777 View Post
    I think if RIM would have thought of this, they would have made it very easy to removal/ dissasemble the trackball. I don't think RIM will ever market different trackballs on any of the existing BB models.
    You're probably right, it would be nice though. But, we've got very talented users here that are always "breaking the mold"

boob_1029 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32C73EFE
    Quote Originally Posted by DCookSta View Post
    You're probably right, it would be nice though. But, we've got very talented users here that are always "breaking the mold"

This is very true, they will be able to give the best tips and methods of changing the trackball of just about anybody

tws777 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Well, I for one will definetely being buying some of the glass balls if they work out. Even if it means risking breaking something.

dj_polak15 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by icaro2000 View Post
    I might do that eventually, I already have a lot of sales on ebay with 100 ppercent positive feedback, so ebay is definitely possible. I am most likely going to set up a webpage for it as soon as I get them perfected.

I am already making plans. Stay tuned to pinstack for all future development, news, and possible sales info(when the time is right).
    sweet can i test it out lol!

PIN/ID
    32C73EFE
    Quote Originally Posted by tws777 View Post
    Well, I for one will definetely being buying some of the glass balls if they work out. Even if it means risking breaking something.

I'm with you on that one!

icaro2000 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask me!

Iwas thinking that the reason the glass scroll ball didn't register is because the rollers that catch the ball are made of ridged hard plastic. The glass ball is too hard and smooth for the hard ridged rollers to catch on.
    If the rollers were rubberized, then I think the glass would grip them and it would register. This is something RIM would have to probably develop.

I do believe that if I sandblast the glass balls that they will register. Only through testing can this be figured out. You never know...

Iwas thinking that the reason the glass scroll ball didn't register is because the rollers that catch the ball are made of ridged hard plastic. The glass ball is too hard and smooth for the hard ridged rollers to catch on.
    If the rollers were rubberized, then I think the glass would grip them and it would register. This is something RIM would have to probably develop.

I do believe that if I sandblast the glass balls that they will register. Only through testing can this be figured out. You never know...
    so wait does your glass one work then?

PIN/ID
    32C73EFE
    Quote Originally Posted by dj_polak15 View Post
    so wait does your glass one work then?

I believe he's saying that he's still not sure. Most likely they will not register if they are not sandblasted

Quote Originally Posted by boob_1029 View Post
    I believe he's saying that he's still not sure. Most likely they will not register if they are not sandblasted
    oh okay

icaro2000 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask me!
    Quote Originally Posted by boob_1029 View Post
    That is what I was saying. Well put..

I think if this is this case, it could still be possible to use a smooth glass ball, but only if the rollers that made contact with it were rubberized or had some kind of surface that could grip against smooth glass.

Sandblasted borosilicate (pyrex/hardglass), will still look great with many possibilities and options. Sandblasted transparent color glass would look really cool.

Ultimately, I would like to see RIM develop a trackball housing that is made to be easily removed by the user in order to switch out the ball at one's desire. It would be great if they could develop a magnetic roller system within the trackball housing that could grip a smooth hard glass surface. It would be even better if this would not void the warranty. This kind of development might possibly help with Blackberries catching up in the consumer market by making it much easier for the general public to customize their phones. Blackberry users could have the option of selecting from a large collection of differently colored and designed glass scroll balls.

PIN/ID
    32C73EFE

^^^ all this stuff would be great!

vince1 no está en línea Community Pro
    PIN/ID
    Stack
    Cannt see RIM changing the design of the trackball. As it is its not a great design with the dirt issues.
    I have noticed that the 8310 rollers have groves in them while my old 8100 had smooth rollers.
    Would the glass ball be more abrasive on the rollers which would cause them to fail?
    This would not bother me once it lasted a bit of time as I'd just keep spares for when this happened.

That is what I was saying. Well put..

I think if this is this case, it could still be possible to use a smooth glass ball, but only if the rollers that made contact with it were rubberized or had some kind of surface that could grip against smooth glass.

Sandblasted borosilicate (pyrex/hardglass), will still look great with many possibilities and options. Sandblasted transparent color glass would look really cool.

Ultimately, I would like to see RIM develop a trackball housing that is made to be easily removed by the user in order to switch out the ball at one's desire. It would be great if they could develop a magnetic roller system within the trackball housing that could grip a smooth hard glass surface. It would be even better if this would not void the warranty. This kind of development might possibly help with Blackberries catching up in the consumer market by making it much easier for the general public to customize their phones. Blackberry users could have the option of selecting from a large collection of differently colored and designed glass scroll balls.
    i like that idea you can just like order it- meaning by choosing the trackball accessories etc. and then pick it up