Moderators please move to correct place if I have posted in a wrong place. Thank you.

First off thanks for checking this post out. As it is my first blackberry (December 2008) and how to, you may find something missing or better way to do this. If you have any suggestions please help.

Have you ever wanted your own or even someone else's theme permanently added to your BB? How about permanently remove vendor themes? Or just add vendor themes?
Well you can with a little tweak to your blackberry.alx file. I'll show you step by step what you need to do to complete this.

Step 1: BACKUP your C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\<OS Version name>\blackberry.alx file. If something goes wrong you can always revert back to the original by copying it back. Also do a full backup of your phone. You don't want to lose any data either. This can't be stressed enough.

Step 2: Go to and follow pdxmatts procedures here. The reason for this step is to get the cod file for the theme you want to have installed.

If you are just removing the vendor themes jump to Step 4.

Step 3: Go to the folder you have saved in previously in Step 2. In this folder look for the <theme name> you want and rename it by just adding .cod to the end.

Step 4: Take the <theme name>.cod from wherever you saved it in step 3 and copy it to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\<OS Version name>\Java
Open your BlackBerry.alx file located in: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\<OS Version name> and do a search (Menu Bar > Edit > Find Next) for "Theme" without the "". Find the theme section that looks something like this:
<!-- Theme filesets -->
Add the following after <!-- Theme filesets --> tag:
<fileset Theme="Normal" Colour="True" series="8700" Java="1.0">
<theme name>.cod
Save the BlackBerry.alx file
Thanks to doughdaddy for the above you can check out his thread to get a better understanding for this at

If just removing vendor themes follow the steps to locate the vendor files here and delete everything that is in red and the last 4 lines underneath that as well. Thanks to pentance as you can see exactly everything from the blackberry.alx needed for this step. Also for those wanting to jest add the vendor files just finish following her guide there.
When you have finished finished doing all deletions save the blackberry.alx

Step 5: Run Application Loader in Desktop Manager and it should prompt you to install a new update (the .cod file we added). Walk through the install of the .cod file and let the BB reboot if it needs to. This will show as an update to the OS not an application update.

When your BB reboots you can check in Options > Theme and you should see your theme in there. Also when you check in Options > Advance Options > Applications you will not find the theme there. As it is now part of your OS update so you cannot delete it from the BB without copying the original blackberry.alx back to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\<OS Version name>\ and doing a reload of the OS.

Thanks to pdxmatts, doughdaddy and pentance for the original procedures to make this how to possible.
If you have any comments or questions please leave them for me as this is my first contribution and I'd like to get more involved in the forums.