This may be a rookie discovery, but I've found that in the same way that ... General Blackberry forum

Releasing File Handles to Save Memory

Advertisement

This may be a rookie discovery, but I've found that in the same way that programs on PCs reserve a little memory for themselves on exit, so do applications on BlackBerrys. For example, a third-party picture application I have on my 7290 - when I start it up after a cold boot, it takes about 2 seconds to actually start. After that, however, it starts immediately. It's the same thing that Microsoft Word will do on a PC. First start after a boot is relatively slow, then after that it starts in less than half the time. On a PC, this small amount of memory reserved by a program on exit (so it starts faster) is called a File Handle.

As I use my 7290 over a period of days, even if I don't add pictures or text, the amount of available memory decreases steadily. After a cold boot, I have about 17.5mb free, then after three or four days it goes down to about 12. If I pull the battery and replace it, cold-booting the device, the memory returns to 17.5mb free. So I'm thinking that applications on the Blackberry are reserving file handles, and a good solution for anyone that is facing a problem with memory is to simply cold-boot the device daily. (?) Any thoughts?

ma077146 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3019F3E6

Re: Releasing File Handles to Save Memory

File caches, cookies, temp files, etc will also eat up a lot of memory over time.

I don't know about older models of BB, but newer ones are using Qualcomm's MSM6550 processor. Does anyone know what language the OS and native apps are programmed in?

I program for the Micro$oft Window$ world; memory management is always part of good programming. You allocate memory for processing program information, and then release the memory when you're done processing it. POWERBasic is what I favor the most; it converts to native assembly code to directly interface with Intel processors without having to go through the OS API. This not only speeds matters up, but built in routines allocate/release memory as needed.

Many posters here have developed 3rd party apps, and should be able you answer your question Mark. I'd be interested in knowing myself.
    Last edited by ma077146; 10-04-2007 at 03:28 PM.

ma077146 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3019F3E6

Re: Releasing File Handles to Save Memory

I did some digging around and found some info from Blackberry regarding memory. Look down on the page.

http://www.blackberry.com/developers...005/index.html