Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

An article came out on the AP earlier this morning about cell phones and PDAs ... General Blackberry forum

parrie no está en línea Stack level 2

Recover data from a "wiped" Blackberry?

An article came out on the AP earlier this morning about cell phones and PDAs purchased off of eBay and even though the data was wiped they were able to recover it. It mentions some of the devices that they were successful with but I didn't get a sense of the article on whether they were able to recover data from a Blackberry. Does anyone know if this is possible?

shafferds no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23d2a4fe

Re: Recover data from a "wiped" Blackberry?

i imagine so - since the hard drive (on a cell phone is much like a computer) all you have to have is the right software and you should be good to go.
    DO OR DO NOT THERE IS NO TRY

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

So if your BB is stolen and you have a password on it, the person who took it wipes your BB, then they can just run a program and get all your information back? If it's possible that makes me feel real safe.

eatmypiano no está en línea BES Pro

It's not possible to do it that way. You could, possibly, crack the device open, read the RAM with some sort of electron scanner and perhaps pick up a residual signal. If you're going to go to that trouble, you'd better be a government spy.

The security wipe does wipe the device. Only someone with the correct tools will be able to read it, and the "correct tools" aren't something you can download from the internet.

Well, that was definitely my concern cp6169. As the BES Admin, we have over 100 devices in use. We don't sell them or allow them out of the company except when we exchange them through the warranty program or the occassion when they are lost. Of course, I have no idea what happens to them at that point. If it is a warranty exchange, we wipe them first and then send them off. If it's lost then we send a kill signal OTA. I was just curious if anyone had tried to recover one and how easy it was.

Thanks, eatmypiano. That's what I was really hoping was the case.

shafferds no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23d2a4fe

my reasons for stating what i said was because i know people in forensic with the LASD and LAPD and my friend has even told me he can recover things wiped on pda's. However the software is not available for the public.
    DO OR DO NOT THERE IS NO TRY

phillyslix no está en línea Stack level 4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Thats still possible. There's many things that aren't available to the public and they somehow get it. Best thing is to not put any personal information on your devices, such as bank account numbers, credit card information, etc.

serviceone no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    4014cd35

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~what you all are talking about is very possible cause I did it with a blackberry that was given to me that I wiped myself... For everyones safety you should erase your event log on a regular basis

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by shafferds
    my reasons for stating what i said was because i know people in forensic with the LASD and LAPD and my friend has even told me he can recover things wiped on pda's. However the software is not available for the public.

Shafferds your statement is true and i can confirm that based upon the fact that is what i do for a living. Yes the software is very expensive (often). There are other factors involved with what data can be recovered and when but minus all the additional factors yes the data can be recovered.

I used my own 7100i as a test.

phillyslix no está en línea Stack level 4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~that being said, then rim needs to implement something because they're advertising how secure their device is and that if your handheld is lost that they can wipe it. I've sold several of my old BB devices on the forum or ebay. That being said, the buyer couldve recovered everything that I had on the device.

ffmike no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    21C0D135

The article stated that people did a "hard reset" to wipe the handheld. Blackberries have an actual utility that wipes the information clean. I am not a blackberry programmer but I belive that is very different.

eatmypiano no está en línea BES Pro

This is what I'm saying. The BlackBerry security wipe is a different beast to the reset device option on a Nokia. Software, no matter how expensive, will not recover the data from a security wiped blackberry. If it could, RIM wouldn't be able to sell them to the US government.

BES'm All no está en línea Stack level 1

PDA's are different than BB's and as for security config, BES'd BB's have much more security for aspects.

I've used the BES's remote wipe (used to be called "Kill" command) command for yrs, and we have not seen one issue yet, we have a few thousand clients.
    I've tried to uploaded the PDF but it keeps failing, at RIM's web site, search for "Security white paper" ,it is quite extensive.
    Cheers,

weduu no está en línea Stack level 1

can anyone tell me exacly how to recover the information from a blackberry, my contact list was errased during the sincronization i dont know why... and im almoust crying couse od that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast