HI. I'm really set to purchase a 8700 from either cingular (att) or tmobile. I ... General Blackberry forum

cyborg no está en línea Stack level 2

Ready to buy 8700 but which carrier in NY?

Advertisement

HI. I'm really set to purchase a 8700 from either cingular (att) or tmobile. I currently have Verizon wireless but it's just too expensive! esp for BBs. Anyway, I just wanted to find out from current users what their preferences are. From what I can see.. Tmobile has better prices and Cingular has better coverage. Im just curious to know if Cingular's service is that much better where it warrants the extra fees. I work in manhattan and want to try to get the best value i can whicle still getting a signal. Hope you guys can help!

I cant wait to join the BB family.

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Re: Ready to buy 8700 but which carrier in NY?

You are correct that TMO has the best prices (by far). Most people here who are in the city are happy with their TMO service.

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

You should look at where you will be using the BB - where you live, work, travel, etc. and pick a carrier that has the best coverage. No matter how cheap the price, if you have no coverage it costs too much. If you are in the City, either one should have good coverage, but that isn't always the case. I would highly recommend checking things out first.

Too many people look at price and/or the phone before picking a carrier and then bitch and moan about their coverage, dropped calls, etc. You need to do your homework before you pick the phone and the plan.

xtasyboi_00 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    PM

I dont know what to say i know couple of people in NY and has tmobile.. Maybe you should post a new thread asking about NYers and their carriers..

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Check with other people on those carriers in your area. You'll still need to fully check out real world coverage on your own to make sure that you have coverage where you need it. Don't assume that because you're in a metro are that coverage is good. All carriers have dead spots here or there... Make the most of your new carrier's trial period -- that's what it's for.

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no

I switched over this year from Verizon to T-mobile. For a few months I had a t-mobile blackberry with a data plan and a Verizon phone. I wanted to run with the two so I can see if T-mobile was reliable enough to make the switch to.

Well i'm a NJ resident living in Hudson County, but I commute to the city and work on the Westside. T-mobile provides excellent coverage for NYC and north NJ. the reception is great for the 5 boros, but the upstate coverage is choppy.

If you have any questions about my experiences, drop me a line.

ak602 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

I live in Staten Island NY, I have Cingular with the 8700c, I have relatively little trouble. Cingular charges $29.95 for the unlimeted personal data plan. I have my whole family on my family plan and all-in-all I have had very little trouble with them. When I switched the family from Nextel (crap) I saved $200 a month. Im talking 7 phones here.

VanillaEps no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24A2F5CD

Cingular here as well. Ported from Verizon in order to take advantage of the number of free mobile to mobile minutes between family and friends. The coverage in NY is excellent. Sometimes I even get coverage on the subway. Upstate NY, eastern LI, 5 boroughs, etc., are all great with Cingular. What I do miss about Verizon is the reception in the fringe areas.

BBWrangler no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219DFD90

T-Mobie's in buiding coverage is still bad compared to Cingular or Verizon with all models of Blackberries. Outdoors, they're all pretty much the same.

If you're concerned about coverage indoors, specifically when you're not near a window, go with Cingular or Verizon.

Nextel's BB's have pretty much zero in building coverage unless you're at a window. Sprint's devices seem to fair a bit better, but don't seem to fare as well as the Verizon's do.

If you're a tunnel rat, Verizon's seem to work pretty well in the subways. Cingulars get sporadic coverage at some stations (presumably the shallower ones), but not at 14th street on the 6th and 7th avenue lines, where there seems to be a T-Mobile tower or repeater that Cingular devices can't roam to.

I live in Brooklyn and work in Midtown and Cingular has given me much better coverage than T-Mobile in both locations.
    It doesn't record video. Get over it.

i think i may just get both and then just compare them side by side during the trial periods. thanks for the responses guys!

peguero no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID

TMO BABY TMO !!!!

But I won't lie, I am intrigued by Cingulars Roll over minutes, however Im not to found of the AT&T connection. AT&T was known in the Tri-State area as having the worse service and the worst prices.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

They may or may not have done some work to their infrastructure since they acquired AT&T Wireless long, long ago. Rollover minutes may or may not be beneficial, depending on your usage pattern. I have thousands of rollover minutes that are utterly worthless.

boomboom no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    retired

Taking the trial is the best bet. You will find which carrier works for you. Personally after being treated like crap from At&t wireless (when I switched to t-mobile) and then being treated like crap on a Business phone with Cingular, I will never do business with At&t again....(at least for the next few years)

Anyone know if either T-Mobile or Cingular refund the activation fee? Wirefly and Amazon say yes but Cingular Retail stores says no. ??

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~check tmobile.com, and see if u have a good coverage on ur area. If u do then go with tmo, affordable, they have good bb plans. Goodluck