How do I read .pdf or .doc files on my 7290 if they are not ... General Blackberry forum

jbullfrog88 no está en línea Stack level 1

reading .pdf, .doc files on 7290

Advertisement

How do I read .pdf or .doc files on my 7290 if they are not attached using email?

I have a 7290, but no online service. Is it possible to upload the .doc files or .pdf files using the Desktop Mananger?

Thanks a lot.

TorturedNacho no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    208EB87C
    You would need a Media Card to be able to do this.
    Blackberry Flash Memory isn't big enough to old a PDF or a .doc file.
    There are things like Beamberry to read .PDF's but you need DATA to be able to do it since i believe it sends out and reencodes it for the BB to read it.

But to answer you're question straight forward No .. You cant read PDF's just off the berry .

Wow, this is really a disappointment. Are you completely sure that there is no way?
    Can I get any other feedback/opinion from other experienced users?

Thanks for the input Tortured Nacho.

TorturedNacho no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    208EB87C
    Just doing my part.
    Welcome to the stacks.

Quote Originally Posted by jbullfrog88 View Post
    How do I read .pdf or .doc files on my 7290 if they are not attached using email?

I have a 7290, but no online service. Is it possible to upload the .doc files or .pdf files using the Desktop Mananger?

Thanks a lot.
    No. Downloading files to a Berry using Desktop Manager without them being email attachments requires OS 4.2 or newer. 4.2 is available for devices that have 64mb of memory or more, and your 7290 is a 32mb device.

However, there may be aftermarket applications that would allow you to do this. I use a wonderful photo program on my 7290, have a couple hundred pictures on it, even though I'm unable to use Desktop Manager to transfer the files. You may want to do searches here at PinStack and on the internet to try to find software that may be able to fill your needs. You may be pleasantly surprised!

Tortured Nacho sez:
    You would need a Media Card to be able to do this.
    Blackberry Flash Memory isn't big enough to old a PDF or a .doc file.
    There's plenty of memory on a 7290 to hold .doc and .pdf files. The only limitation here is the nature of the operating system - being only a 32mb device, the 7290 is required to use OS 4.1 or older, and the Desktop Manager is not equipped to do file transfers on 4.1 devices. However, there's plenty of available memory for documents if a user can find software to do the transfer/viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    Tortured Nacho sez:
    There's plenty of memory on a 7290 to hold .doc and .pdf files. The only limitation here is the nature of the operating system - being only a 32mb device, the 7290 is required to use OS 4.1 or older, and the Desktop Manager is not equipped to do file transfers on 4.1 devices. However, there's plenty of available memory for documents if a user can find software to do the transfer/viewing.
    It sounds like you have knowledge about these third party applications... would you mind sharing with me these apps?

I am really bummed out that there is no obvious way to use the pc to transfer doc and pdf files to my 7290. I can't even transfer html files, or any type of file at all! I was looking to use it as a ebook reader.

Quote Originally Posted by jbullfrog88 View Post
    It sounds like you have knowledge about these third party applications... would you mind sharing with me these apps?

I am really bummed out that there is no obvious way to use the pc to transfer doc and pdf files to my 7290. I can't even transfer html files, or any type of file at all! I was looking to use it as a ebook reader.
    A couple of places to start looking for software:

http://www.getjar.com/software/BlackBerry/7290

http://www.handango.com

http://www.ascendo.com

Also, open up Google and/or Yahoo and type "Blackberry 7290 Software" in the search field - see what the internet comes up with.

The photo program I mentioned earlier is from Ascendo, and works flawlessly on my 7290. I'm thinking there must be aftermarket software somewhere that will allow you to view PDFs and docs!

Later . . .I just opened Handango, and they say they have 1773 software aps for the 7290, and the first one in the list is a viewer/editor for Word (.doc) files. It states that it will download OTA to your phone using sms, so a data plan is not necessary for the download apparently . . .

Happy Searching!
    Last edited by Mark Stone; 09-20-2008 at 01:56 PM.

I cannot put jad or jar files since I do not have a data connection plan.

All I can put on is alx files.

Markstone, I am looking for freeware programs.

Both handango and ascendo only offer trials.

I also cannot use jar or jad files on my 7290.

I tried using Brandon's Jar 2 Alx converter, but had no success.

Thanks for the help.