Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Originally Posted by BenMarvin ~~~Posted via Blackberry @ wap.pinstack.com~~~ Why don't they just have a ... General Blackberry forum

squished18 no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: random but:

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by BenMarvin
    ~~~Posted via Blackberry @ wap.pinstack.com~~~
    Why don't they just have a sort of 'in-house' wi-fi and cell signal within the plane using the same technology used for in flight phones on the plane. Broadband internet via satellite. Charge a small fee or spread the cost among ticket fairs. (what's a couple extra dollars)
    Yes, I think this is being explored by a number of companies. I believe there are a few planes in service that already are trialing this type of service. Don't remember which airlines though.

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

~~~Posted via Blackberry @ wap.pinstack.com~~~
    And what about the folks with private Learjets and no one telling them not to use their phone... Ever heard of a private plane being downed by it's owner using his cell phone? Exactly.

aosmith Guest

Quote Originally Posted by squished18
    Hi aosmith,

Wireless devices do connect to multiple cell towers simultaneously. This enables "soft-handoffs" so that when you move, the network can transfer your connection between cell towers seemlessly.

While signal strength varies, certain cell phones will vary their power usage according to the signal strength they are receiving. I don't believe cell phones transmit at full power all the time. It's a way of improving battery life. People who live in fringe areas of cell coverage will usually get much poorer battery life from their devices. I've experienced this myself.

And finally, the statement is "potential" for interference. With increasingly complex systems, there is always a risk of interference. Although there is an entire industry built around this phenomenon: the EMI (Electro-Magnetic Inteference?) industry. So I would think most avionics take this into consideration in their designs.

Regards,
    squished18
    i would think the risks would fall more with older phones based off of microwave technology that could interfer with transponder systems. Im not sure the signal range of microwave based cell phones but they may have also interfered with othe equiptment (such as radios and VOR/ILS systems)...

aosmith Guest

Quote Originally Posted by squished18
    Yes, I think this is being explored by a number of companies. I believe there are a few planes in service that already are trialing this type of service. Don't remember which airlines though.
    i believe united offers wifi on flights...

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

As a note, we have execs that regularly travel on the company jet and they regularly forget to turn off their Blackberries. We've noticed that the they quite often have problems getting decent signal when they land. It generally take a call to Cingular as the Blackberry has "locked" itself to a tower in the originating city. Cycling wireless off and on, pulling the battery, and hard resets don't resolve the matter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12