Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

does anyone know what actually happens if you use your cell phone on a plane? ... General Blackberry forum

aosmith Guest

random but:

Advertisement

does anyone know what actually happens if you use your cell phone on a plane? i leave mine on when flying (i fly cessnas pipers cirrus etc), its gone off a couple times withotu interfering with anything.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Re: random but:

The plane will fall from the sky and everyone will vanish into the nether regions
    Honestly I think nothing happens.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

andrebsd no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240F09FB

Nothing happens really, though I tend not to get reception anyway.

I think they just want you using the on-flight phones at like what.. 2.99 USD per minute or so.
    PIN: 240F09FB - Feel free to msg anytime.

tweber78 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    214b43dc

~~~Posted via Blackberry @ wap.pinstack.com~~~

Back in the eighties when cell phones were just starting to hit the market they pulled this BS on the world travler. The cell companies were afraid that they would not be able to charge correctly for long distance. The call made from a plane would trigger many cell towers.

I have known a few piolets and they have all said cell phone will not interfer at all with navigation equipment.

There has got to be an airline employee on pinstack.com. Let us know the scoop.

andrebsd no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240F09FB

I want to figure out why I get absolutely no reception though... It kinda sucks, as I'd like to still go online. I'm not going to chatter on the phone, that would be stupid... as its going to bug everyone and someone might think im going to blow the thing up or so.

Going online would be really nice though, and its not like the plane is going to crash, lol.
    PIN: 240F09FB - Feel free to msg anytime.

rjharary no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2038fe53

If it was dangerous, they wouldnt let you bring it on, they know about the wiseguys who would turn their phones on. the shame is, Blackberry used to work on planes even without cell recption i think they changed the way they work now that they are phones too.

aosmith Guest

im a pilot i've used my cell phone many times and it works great up until about 9,000 ft agl. i think i may even get better reception in at 3,000 feet

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Fairly straight answer:
    http://www.mobile-review.com/article...plane-en.shtml

A discussion:
    http://techrepublic.com.com/5254-625...065&id=4224622

And some legal matters:
    http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,121842,00.asp

I've never been on a plane, so I don't know either way.

The one part of one article makes sense. Terrorist using a cell to set off a bomb in the baggage compartment. But sometimes people are just way too paranoid.

aosmith Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BenMarvin
    Fairly straight answer:
    http://www.mobile-review.com/article...plane-en.shtml

A discussion:
    http://techrepublic.com.com/5254-625...065&id=4224622

And some legal matters:
    http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,121842,00.asp

I've never been on a plane, so I don't know either way.

The one part of one article makes sense. Terrorist using a cell to set off a bomb in the baggage compartment. But sometimes people are just way too paranoid.
    yet you can still bring the cell phone on so if they were going to blow up the plane why not just turn on the phone and make the call...whats anyone going to do fast enough?

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

If someone wants to set off a bomb... they will, cell phone or not
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

aosmith Guest

Quote Originally Posted by melissaox
    If someone wants to set off a bomb... they will, cell phone or not
    thats what im thinking too...i remember reading you could set one off with a disposable camera...and explosives arent going to show up on a metal detector...

squished18 no está en línea Stack level 3

Thanks BenMarvin for some enlightening postings. To add some thoughts to the discussion...

There seem to be a good number of reasons for not allowing cell-phone use on planes:
    * annoying fellow passengers during the flight
    * at altitude, cell phones can connect to a much greater number of cell towers; multiply this effect by hundreds of phones around airports and this puts an exceptional load on the network
    * at altitude, the cell phone needs to transmit a more powerful signal, greatly reducing the phone's battery life
    * potential for interfering with avionics
    * potential for security threat

However, wireless data devices (e.g. BBs, Wi-Fi, etc.) are less obtrusive so (as mentioned in one of the previously posted articles) several companies are investigating putting some sort of wireless access right on the plane. This could address four of the five issues listed here.

my two cents...

aosmith Guest

Quote Originally Posted by squished18
    Thanks BenMarvin for some enlightening postings. To add some thoughts to the discussion...

There seem to be a good number of reasons for not allowing cell-phone use on planes:
    * annoying fellow passengers during the flight
    * at altitude, cell phones can connect to a much greater number of cell towers; multiply this effect by hundreds of phones around airports and this puts an exceptional load on the network
    * at altitude, the cell phone needs to transmit a more powerful signal, greatly reducing the phone's battery life
    * potential for security threat

However, wireless data devices (e.g. BBs, Wi-Fi, etc.) are less obtrusive so (as mentioned in one of the previously posted articles) several companies are investigating putting some sort of wireless access right on the plane. This could address four of the five issues listed here.

my two cents...
    I dont agree with:

because: althought it will pick up many towers it will only connect to one. also the FAA does not base regulations on corporate needs.

because: the amount of battery used does not vary, but the signal strength does

because: ive used my phone does not interfer with VOR, GPS or any other. it does however make an annoying click sound that is electronic interference. I think that is what it comes down to.

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

~~~Posted via Blackberry @ wap.pinstack.com~~~
    Why don't they just have a sort of 'in-house' wi-fi and cell signal within the plane using the same technology used for in flight phones on the plane. Broadband internet via satellite. Charge a small fee or spread the cost among ticket fairs. (what's a couple extra dollars)

squished18 no está en línea Stack level 3

Hi aosmith,

Wireless devices do connect to multiple cell towers simultaneously. This enables "soft-handoffs" so that when you move, the network can transfer your connection between cell towers seemlessly.

While signal strength varies, certain cell phones will vary their power usage according to the signal strength they are receiving. I don't believe cell phones transmit at full power all the time. It's a way of improving battery life. People who live in fringe areas of cell coverage will usually get much poorer battery life from their devices. I've experienced this myself.

And finally, the statement is "potential" for interference. With increasingly complex systems, there is always a risk of interference. Although there is an entire industry built around this phenomenon: the EMI (Electro-Magnetic Inteference?) industry. So I would think most avionics take this into consideration in their designs.

Regards,
    squished18

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast