I am a new member so if my question sounds stupid, it is because I ... General Blackberry forum

murray34 no está en línea Stack level 2

Question about networks?

Advertisement

I am a new member so if my question sounds stupid, it is because I am still learning. I am a Verizon customer and I am considering switching to AT&t next month for the Blackberry Curve. My contract with Verizon expires the middle of the month and I was planning on purchasing the 8830 but I think that I would rather have the Curve. My question is this. Since AT&T is the new Cingular, do you expect their network to improve and challenge Verizon as the number 1 network in the US. The only reason that I would stay with Verizon is b/c of their network and I have always heard that you want to choose the best network and then choose a phone, never a good phone for an average network. I would really appreciate some feedback. Thanks.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: Question about networks?

Well, I'm not really sure that Verizon is truely the #1 network in the US. It really depends obn the criteria. But the Cingular to AT&T is only a name change. The network was merged a while back following the Cingular acquisition of AT&T wireless. I don't know of any more network consolidation that can be done.
    Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Pa welcome to PinStack~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Last edited by Rcbjr; 05-26-2007 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Automerged.

murray34 no está en línea Stack level 2

Thanks for your post. I guess I was referring to Verizon being superior in their network coverage.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Quote Originally Posted by murray34
    I am a new member so if my question sounds stupid, it is because I am still learning. I am a Verizon customer and I am considering switching to AT&t next month for the Blackberry Curve. My contract with Verizon expires the middle of the month and I was planning on purchasing the 8830 but I think that I would rather have the Curve. My question is this. Since AT&T is the new Cingular, do you expect their network to improve and challenge Verizon as the number 1 network in the US. The only reason that I would stay with Verizon is b/c of their network and I have always heard that you want to choose the best network and then choose a phone, never a good phone for an average network. I would really appreciate some feedback. Thanks.
    Thanks for your post. I guess I was referring to Verizon being superior in their network coverage.
    Really, what do you find "superior"? I understand that Verizon has great network coverage. It all depends on your area and how much coverage they give you. In my area, I get great coverage with TMO and their customer service is great too boot! Also their rates are very competive, much cheaper than AT&T and Verizon.

Just do what works for you. I mean if AT&T has good coverage in your area and it has the phone you would like then why not switch? Some people have good luck with a different carrier and others don't, so just keep that in mind. I'm not sure the rates of each of the companies, I know they're pretty close to one another though.

Basically just do some research. Make sure it's the right choice for you.

Hope this helps
    ~red

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

I think you need to take a step back before you make a switch in carriers just to get a certain phone. that is definitely the WRONG way to go about it.

You should pick a carrier that works for you, one that has the service where you need it - where you live, work, travel, play, etc. Once you make that determination, pick the device that fits your needs.

In your case, moving from Verizon to Cingular/ATT shouldn't be a bad move in terms of coverage, but you should check it out anyway. For example, Cingular has a crappy signal at my house, where as Verizon is strong. Sprint is also quite good. T-Mo is non existent.

Reddog makes some good points, do the research and be safe rather than sorry.

BBwannabe no está en línea Stack level 3

I agree with the previous poster. Never choose a network based on a phone you want. I'm on Verizon, and believe me I'd love to geta Curve, but there's no way I'm downgrading in network to do it.

What you should do is try the phone for 30 days and see it ATT's signal is strong where you need it. If it is, go ahead and make the switch.

For me, Verizon works the best. I'm willing to wait for Verizon's version of the Curve.

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

because cingular changed to att nithing is changing they are still going to be doing the same things just with the at&t branding.
    also, in regards to verizon i can see how some people say they are the best or number one, but i've seen a lot of test done between the wireless carriers, and it's a toss up between t-mobile and verizon

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

I don't see how their can be one best cell carier. It all depends on the individual user. The carrier that provides the best service where you use the phone is the best for you, be it Verizon, Sprint, Cingular or T-Mo, or whomever.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

There's no such thing as a "number 1 network in the US" for everyone unless you're drinkng that carrier's Kool Aid. Coverage varies by market and even within markets -- especially for large sprawls like Houston, where I live. If Verizon has the best coverage where you live it doesn't mean that Verizon has the best coverage everywhere. Every carrier has coverage gaps despite what their marketing departments claim.

Definitely pick your carrier based on coverage. Do not switch carriers just for a new device unless you're certain that the new carrier's coverage is sufficient for your needs. This can't be stressed enough as more and more people continue to consider jumping ship for the Curve.

Every carrier offers a trial period and it's up to you to make the most of that trial period to fully test coverage. Don't rely on coverage maps. Don't rely on word of mouth.

My question is this. Since AT&T is the new Cingular, do you expect their network to improve and challenge Verizon as the number 1 network in the US.
    I don't expect anything to change just because of a branding change. The company is the same ("A rose by any other name..." is still a rose). Again, Verizon isn't the "number 1 network in the US" unless you work in their marketing department...
    Last edited by takeshi; 05-27-2007 at 04:22 PM.

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

I would suggest switching to t-mobile. But first go to tmobile's website the have a link that says coverage. When you go to that link you can type in any address or city or zip in the united states and it will show you exactly what to expect in those areas. It's very detailed. They will tell you exactly how many bars of service you will have (1-5 bars)and will you be able to use your phone indoors or outdoors. If you'll be roaming. Its very helpful. Oh and by the way there is no charge with roaming. Check it out ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

rokinDa8703e no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31e84d1b

In choosing a blackberry you need to ofcourse first look at coverage in your area AND the places you travel most, then you need to be sure the buildings you frequent the most don't cause your coverage to change

Next if there is a tie in network coverage, test out speed, edge vs evdo

After that, if you have narrowed it down to one carrier, then start picking phones, if you do a lot of typing then a qwerty is the way to go but if your average text input is say 20 txts and 5 emails a day, suretype will do the trick just fine

Next camera and multimedia functionality should be considered

Also don't forget clumsiness factor, I'm quite hard on phones so I need a tough and rugged device and my 8703e fits the bill perfectly

If you havnt been able to pin it down to one carrier, take verizon and do the network test drive and go store to store and compare

The network is important but the phone is equally important, your spending a lot of money and you don't need to jump hastily either way, I love my 8703e and I have never had any problems with it, also it is very comfortable to use but then again I have fairly large hands and fingers and thus the large size is a plus, if you have more average sized hands then the pearl may be more comfortable so you have to look at everything before you decide either way

Now all of that pretymuch puts you back to square one so here's what I think, stick with verizon because the are blazeing fast and the 8703e is the best blackberry so far so the 8830 and what ever models vzw picks next I'm sure will also be awesome