I've got a Curve 8330 running 4.5.0.97. I keep the radio, gps and bluetooth on. ... General Blackberry forum

bowent no está en línea Stack level 1

question about file free

Advertisement

I've got a Curve 8330 running 4.5.0.97. I keep the radio, gps and bluetooth on. After a soft rest last night, my file free showed about 36, just before auto-off at 11 pm and back on at 7 am. Checked the file free about 9am after no use and it showed about 32. Went on Sprint tv for about an hour. Lots of data transfer. Shut it down and checked the file free. It showed about 35!

I'm not complaining, just curious. Any idea what's going on? Why would it increase?

luciferseamus no está en línea Device Pro
    When you shut down your berry it will delete old excess info and increase your file free

P.s. You no longer need the soft reset program on your curve, hold alt+right shift+del. It's like ctrl alt del on your PC. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Sorry, what I meant by "shut it down" was I shut down sprint tv. I didn't reset it. Just turned off sprint tv and checked status. That's when I saw the increase to 35. an increase from the 32 before I started sprint tv.

luciferseamus no está en línea Device Pro
    Oh wow, that is odd
    Lol
    Sorry misunderstood.
    Hmm dunno bout that one.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Does Sprint TV possibly clear cache when it is shut down?

Apparently not. Had 33.5 file free. Had a small browser cache of 110. Went on sprint tv for about 15 min. Cache was the same. File free went up to 33.7.

Quote Originally Posted by bowent View Post
    I've got a Curve 8330 running 4.5.0.97. I keep the radio, gps and bluetooth on. After a soft rest last night, my file free showed about 36, just before auto-off at 11 pm and back on at 7 am. Checked the file free about 9am after no use and it showed about 32. Went on Sprint tv for about an hour. Lots of data transfer. Shut it down and checked the file free. It showed about 35!

I'm not complaining, just curious. Any idea what's going on? Why would it increase?
    Applications are creating and releasing file handles. A File Handle is a little piece of memory reserved by an application for its next start-up or use. The best example to demonstrate is using your PC and a Word Processor, like Microsoft Word. Shut your PC completely off, then boot it. After it's up, start Word and time the amount of time it takes to start. Then close Word, and start it a second time - you'll notice that Word starts significantly faster the second time. This is because after its first use, it reserved memory - the File Handle - to allow a faster start the second time. Same thing happens on your Berry. You've noticed that after an initial boot, like for example after a bat pull, that applications load slower for an hour or so (especially multimedia aps) and that your free memory is increased. Same thing. Some aps will release file handles, others won't. Many stack file handles, reserving a little more memory at each startup. A lot of people call it "memory leak", but that's not what it is - it's memory hoarding. It's why I do a battery pull every few days or so - -

Understand. On my 8330, then (where I usually start at about 36 after a battery pull), as long as file free stays above say, 20-25, there should be no impact on performance and the apps will load faster?

Understand. On my 8330, then (where I usually start at about 36 after a battery pull), as long as file free stays above say, 20-25, there should be no impact on performance and the apps will load faster?
    Generally you're OK if your free memory is above around 7mb, so you're clear.

Thanks much.

Thanks much.
    You're quite welcome.