Hey guys, I'm looking for a BB solution where I can use one BB (quad-band, ... General Blackberry forum

vanuva no está en línea Stack level 1

Quad-Band BB works in UK and US

Advertisement

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a BB solution where I can use one BB (quad-band, I assume) in both the UK and US (where I'm a Sprint customer) by switching SIM cards depending on which country I'm in so I don't have to pay international roaming fees. Is this possible? Or is Sprint due to come out with any quad-band phones anytime?

I posted in the Sprint users' forum here and heard that their network is CDMA and their SIM cards don't work in any phones but the ones they sell. Was thinking I could buy a quad-band 87xx phone here in the UK on a pay-as-you-go basis (we spend more time in the US), and get a SIM card from a US carrier that would fit in the UK-bought BB. Any tips on how best to achieve this, or if it can even be done?

I assume I'd have to unlock the BB over here, but which networks are most amenable to what I'm trying to do, and which BB's have the hardware necessary to fit different types of SIM cards.

I'm new to all of this (don't own a BB), so forgive any newbie questions. Any help's appreciated!

Van

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: Quad-Band BB works in UK and US

Welcome to Pinstack!!
    You wont be able to use SIM cards with Sprint. Here are some useful links:
    US Carriers BLACKBERRY International Coverage list - Roaming
    Network Types explained in brief... GSM, GPRS, CDMA, Mobitex, EDGE
    Blackberry SMS tips, carrier info and services
    More BlackBerry Networks & Roaming

Let us know if this info helps and anything else you may need. You can find more of this here:
    http://blackberryfaq.pinstack.com

Thanks so much, Hayden - just what I was looking for! Will check it all out and see where to go from there. Many thanks!

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

My pleasure!

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

You will need to go with a GSM carrier. And considering what the cost differences are between US and UK BlackBerry plans, you'd likely want to get a US carrier and roam in the UK.

giamburrasca no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    256223F9

vanuva, do you want data functionality in the UK? If not, I would have thought that once you choose a GSM carrier in the US, you simply ask them to unlock the device, explaining why (I suspect your choice of carrier may be determined by their flexibility on this score) and use a Pay and go SIM in the UK. If you resolve this I will be delighted to send you an O2 prepay SIM with my compliments.

giamburrasca no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    256223F9

vanuva, one other thing. Don't be tempted to access the Internet on your US BB if you do end up roaming in the UK. I recently made this mistake whilst on holiday in Turkey and was charged Ł5 sterling for each lookup, regardless of duration or download

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Thanks for all the help, guys. Just got back in and will be looking into everything now. giamburrasca, may be contacting you re your offer - thanks so much!
    Van

jlesh no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D95340

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~vanuva, if you do decide to switch carriers, I would recommend T-Mobile. They have a good selection of devices and very reasonable voice and data rates. Purchase a BB in the US and then you will have two options when overseas. You can roam, which is fairly reasonable(which is what I do when overseas) or they have an international BB plan or add-on(I'm not sure which) that is reasonable in price and will allow you full voice and data capabilities, and may be a better option depending on how much time you spend overseas. T-Mobile is great in Europe because they have a large presence there through their parent company Deutsche Telecom(under various names in almost every European country incvluding the UK). Also, if you want data in the US, but its neccesarily so important in Europe, you can purchase pre-paid SIM cards in Europe that function similarly to pay-as-you-go minutes here. You purchase the card with however much time you want and just put it in your phone, and can either add value or just toss it and buy a new one. I am not sure, but I believe they are only good for voice, but I have never personally used this option, so you may even be able to use these SIMs for data as well. Good luck with your decision. I would recommend calling various carriers and seeing what each one's options are for you. You will probably get the best info directly from the horse's mouth.

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Additionally, this should come as a warning:

Even if you get a US SIM and a UK SIM, which you intend to swap depending upon location, and even if both SIMs have BlackBerry Data Plans, your device can only work with one carrier!

Even if all of the above is fulfilled and you've got an unlocked device, your PIN is registered with carrier 'A', and will not work with carrier 'B' unless you cancel 'A' first.

Even if you did cancel your PIN each time with the carrier, you would still be required to set up your emails with the carrier's BIS every time you switched SIMs.

It's the triad of SIM-BIS-PIN.