Greetings Fellow BB peers, I have a question and Im not sure this has been ... General Blackberry forum

jigxerjay no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319F0748

Profile Settings... Wha does it all mean?

Advertisement

Greetings Fellow BB peers,

I have a question and Im not sure this has been asked already but here it goes... My Question pertains to "Profile settings" for your blackberry, can someone hopefully in detail explain the difference for the following....

"Browser" (Why would you want to set an alert for your browser? What do you all set your "Browser" alert too and why?)

"Calendar" (I am aware of this profile setting, no need to explain)

"Level 1 Messages" (What constitutes a level 1 message? What is the difference between a level 1 message and a regular message?)

"Messages" (are these eMails?, What is the difference between this "Messages" and "Message alerts and "Messages New"?)

"Messenger alerts" ( is the the alerts for Blackberry messenger?)

"Messenger new message" (or is this the alerts for BBM?, what is the difference between "messenger alert" and messenger New Message"?)

and the rest "Phone", "SMS", and "Task"... I am obvious aware of these...

Thanks For all of your knowledge and time .....
    "When a man playing poker with money meets a man playing poker with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Re: Profile Settings... Wha does it all mean?

Quote Originally Posted by jigxerjay
    "Browser" (Why would you want to set an alert for your browser? What do you all set your "Browser" alert too and why?)

"Level 1 Messages" (What constitutes a level 1 message? What is the difference between a level 1 message and a regular message?)

"Messages" (are these eMails?, What is the difference between this "Messages" and "Message alerts and "Messages New"?)

"Messenger alerts" ( is the the alerts for Blackberry messenger?)

"Messenger new message" (or is this the alerts for BBM?, what is the difference between "messenger alert" and messenger New Message"?)...
    There are browser messages that you can set an alert to, but not sure what a browser message is
    Level 1 msg's are PIN messages - don't confuse that with BlackBerry Messenger msg's those are next. PIN messages are basic email sent Peer-to-Peer. Instead of going through an email server like Gmail, it goes straight to BlackBerry's network and back out to the PIN/user.
    Messages are your emails (you can have different ones for your different email accounts: gmail, blackberry.net etc)
    Messenger Alert is a notification from BlackBerry Messenger (not positive, but I assume it is the first message and all others are sounded from the "new message below" - just a guess)
    Messenger new message is when ever someone IM's you in BlackBerry Messenger.
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

Dafodyll no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask me

A browser message is a message that comes from your network provider. Usually to tell you of some new feature or something of that nature. It is also called a push message.

So to answer your question you can set a specific tone for those types of messages.

~ Amie ~

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by cliffr39
    Level 1 msg's are PIN messages - don't confuse that with BlackBerry Messenger msg's those are next.
    PIN messages can be treated as Level 1 for alert purposes (i.e. same tone/vibe sounds for Level 1 and PIN if you set it up this way) but they're not Level 1 messages.

Level 1 messages are messages that you flag as Level 1 in your filters. In essence, this allows you to flag email based on your criteria (sender, subject, etc) so that email matching that criteria can have a different alert. It's handy if you want to disable alerts for all email except for important email. Or if you want a different alert for important email, etc.

As has been pointed out it's for Browser push messages. Go to mobile.blackberry.com on your BB and you can sign up for Browser push services (like weather, etc). This allows you to set alerts when updates are pushed to your BB.

Yup -- that's regular (non-Level 1) email. I'm not sure if it's just the newer BIS or if it's 4.2 but with one or both you do get the option to set different alerts for each email account integrated with BIS.
    Last edited by takeshi; 05-24-2007 at 12:00 PM.