I was traveling in Germany recently, after having DL'd the Orange handheld OS 4.5.0.81 (yes, ... General Blackberry forum

Bobboya no está en línea Stack level 2

Problems with data transfer when traveling on unauthorized OS

Advertisement

I was traveling in Germany recently, after having DL'd the Orange handheld OS 4.5.0.81 (yes, I deleted the vendor.xml file) on my BB Curve 8320 -- everything worked fine in Los Angeles. At the time, Tmo USA, my native carrier had not released OS 4.5. To make a long story short, no data transfer (email or internet) worked in Europe, in spite of my having arranged ahead of traveling for international data transfer. In many previous trips over 4 years, my BB worked fine in Europe. When I landed back in the US, everything worked again. I wonder whether the German Tmo recognized that I was using an unauthorized OS on my handheld and blocked data transfer. Anyone else had a similar experience?
    Last edited by Bobboya; 12-15-2008 at 12:31 PM.

magellan0547 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    242E7D27
    never heard of this but it sounds like T-Mo USA and T-Mo Germany are the reasons for the mix-up. The systems probably got crossed or confused based off of what T-Mo USA/T-Mo Germany/and Your Device were all responding with. They really have no way of knowing that your OS is unauthorized because they OS is written for all BBs in general and last I checked they don't do a OS check on your phone otherwise we'd all be stuck using our carrier's OS only even here in the states...just sounds like a giant hiccup in their systems...sorry it had to happen to you

Thanks, Magellan,
    I agree that it's probably something to do with Tmo USA vs Germany. My BB has usually worked flawlessly world over, including Germany, France, UK, and New Zealand. As recently as August, when I was in New Zealand using the unauthorized OS, the BB worked fine. This is the only time that I traveled with an unauthorized OS to Germany, and it's the only time that I had any probs, and the probs went away, as soon as I was back in the US.

magellan0547 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    242E7D27
    probably just a weird glitch...doesn't sound like anything malicious by them to keep you from using the data you've already paid for...did you try calling T-mo G to see if they could help? let them or USA know that there is an issue because that means it'll affect their other customers (unauthorized OS or not)

No, I didn't call. I was in Germany for only a few days, and it wasn't so critical, as I had computer access.