Hi, I have a blackberry that was working fine in the US. I have moved ... General Blackberry forum

parasuco no está en línea Stack level 1

Problem with name display during incoming call

Advertisement

Hi,

I have a blackberry that was working fine in the US.

I have moved to the UK recently and I'm using the same device. I have uploaded my address book on my phone. All my contact's number are as follow: John Smith, 0785 xxx xxxx for instance. When I receive an incoming call, it is displayed as +44 785 xxx xxxx and therefore the number is not recognised and the name of the contact is not displayed.

Can anyone help on this one?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parasuco View Post
    Hi,

I have a blackberry that was working fine in the US.

I have moved to the UK recently and I'm using the same device. I have uploaded my address book on my phone. All my contact's number are as follow: John Smith, 0785 xxx xxxx for instance. When I receive an incoming call, it is displayed as +44 785 xxx xxxx and therefore the number is not recognised and the name of the contact is not displayed.

Can anyone help on this one?

Thanks
    Is it possible to go through your contacts and add the +44 to the numbers manually so they would match? Or would that wreck your ability to make outgoing calls?

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    If you use Outlook and you want to add the country code, it might be faster to sync with Outlook, export your contacts to an Excel file, do a mass update (there is probably even a country code field), re-import the spreadsheet to Outlook and re-sync the device.

parasuco no está en línea Stack level 1
    I believe I can do so and change the format of all the numbers to +44. However this doesn't resolve the problem entirely as the calls are received without the country code format and the text messages are received with the country code. So either way, one of them will not be recognized.

I believe that we whould be able to specify to the phone what is the general country code and the device will adjust to recognize the number waiter it's or not with the country code.

Any idea ?

Thanks

dubai_bb no está en línea Stack level 3
    add this to the list of annoying bb mix ups. RIM should really work on this stupid issue, because even $20 phones are able to determine if the caller is your contact or not. I had the same problem, I had to go through my whole phone book manually when I first got it and add the +/area code for the ones that didn't have it. Luckily it was only for a few of my +700 contacts because since I travel a lot and usually enter the full +/area code.

Quote Originally Posted by parasuco View Post
    I believe I can do so and change the format of all the numbers to +44. However this doesn't resolve the problem entirely as the calls are received without the country code format and the text messages are received with the country code. So either way, one of them will not be recognized.
    Then put the number in twice in your address book, one with the +44, the other without. Use the Work and Work 2 fields. I like RoGro's idea for syncing, would make the process a lot easier. I agree with dubai_bb too - RIM should have seen this one a' comin'!!!