I was using my BB today as a tethered modem -- quite common for me. ... General Blackberry forum

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F

Power consumption of a tethered-modem BlackBerry

Advertisement

I was using my BB today as a tethered modem -- quite common for me. Something unusual happened though: at some point the Internet connection
    failed, and I noticed the BB had shut down the Wireless by itself because the
    battery was practically empty!

What was different today is that along with browsing and downloading I
    was also running a P2P app that was u/l and d/l all the time. Apparently this
    level of loading needs more power than the BB can draw from the USB port.

It did take more than 36 hours of use to drain the battery, so this is not a problem if you are tethering briefly. For long-term tethering, however, it is something to keep in mind.

yettiman2208 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    You were tethered and downloading for 36 hours? Wow!~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

drozek no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31B1D26F
    Tethered blackberry requires two connections, Bluetooth which I doubt will last 36 hours or plugged in USB which can last all week. Which one did you use?

pinpoint no está en línea Themes Pro
    PIN/ID
    ask me.
    lol, i use long-term tethering with regular browsing. Usually about 8hrs but my battery is always full and charging. This is an interesting discovery.

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F
    Bluetooth is not a physical tether... I was using USB. I wonder whether using BT and having the BB plugged into a wall charger would have been any different...

Yes, 36 hours (looong file downloads)... I had to go about my business without my Berry :cry:

I've been doing regular browsing and the occasional download since forever,
    with never a problem -- battery always full. Just goes to show how much power
    Wireless needs! For the first time in my life I saw a battery iconoid EMPTY and with its frame a flaming RED!

BTW I untethered it, plugged it into a wall socket charger, and it took 18 mins for
    the "Low Battery" indicator to go out (just before the 2nd battery bar came on) and for the sulking BB to accept turning Wireless on again.

18 minutes... can ruin the continuity of chatting someone up...

Last edited by gkast1; 07-03-2008 at 06:54 PM.