Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

The simple answer is yes, you can run BES and have your personal emails BIS ... General Blackberry forum

marc.lannoytrig no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Is it possible to use BES and still get POP3 email?

Advertisement

The simple answer is yes, you can run BES and have your personal emails BIS on the same handset.

However this is more a network provider thing than a in house IT thing.

The admin can pick and choose who has what, its actualy amazing what they can do to your handset.

Aroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24431D74

The BES Admin can set up a policy to log anything on the handheld (the handheld will then periodically report back (sync) to the BES). You can assign a policy to 1 user as easily as a hundred. So, yes, your management can have you BES Admin just watch "one" user if need be.

the moral of this story? think twice or even three times before using personal hardware at work (or even doing anything personal!).

and, yes BES does log all phone calls for all devices by default on BES 4.x. I was pretty surprised by this at first when handhelds started syncing call logs back to the server for me (or any admin) to see. Your company does have complete control over the handheld (if they so choose) once you get those service books from the BES server.
    Domino 6.5.6FP1 | BES 4.1.4

PwDiamond no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249df67d

Absolutely. There are different "groups" just like in a Windows domain... here's an example of how it might work (just random examples, not at all meant to represent what your policy might look like, etc.).

• Administrators
      • Full access to third-party apps
      • No restrictions on browsers
      • No Phone log logging
      • No SMS/PIN logging (sync back to server as I mentioned)
    • Managers
      • Full access to third-party apps
      • MDS traffic only
      • Phone logging (this is a default enabled policy anyway)
      • No SMS/PIN logging
    • Users
      • No third-party apps
      • Intranet access only
      • Phone logging
      • PIN/SMS logging
    • Power-Users
      • Third-party apps (selective)
      • MDS traffic only
      • Phone logging
      • PIN/SMS logging
    So it just depends on whether or not your comany uses a blanket policy, groups, etc. They can create whatever they want... they could even create a "Trouble Maker" user group if you antagonize them enough

It comes down to a couple things... like the need for security in your organization, the anal-retentiveness of your IT director, the skill level and attitude of the BES admin (and time)... Whether he (or she) is an "I love to play with settings and figure out what everything does" or "The BES/Exchange server works and that's all I care about" type of person.

It's usually VERY expensive to monitor people... both fiscally and in terms of personell resources. And remember, that extra network traffic and server space taken up by additional logging and such is a resource that many network admins might object to.

What makes you think they'd want to monitor you? And how many other users are there? And what kind of racey text messages are you sending that you're so worried about? :-D

PwDiamond no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249df67d

Quote Originally Posted by Aroc
    Your company does have complete control over the handheld (if they so choose) once you get those service books from the BES server.
    And once the policy is on, it's ridiculously difficult to remove... even with JL, etc... it takes a special app to get it off, or connecting up to another BES and receiving a new policy. Keep that in mind if it's your device and not the company's.

wifi4milez no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by PwDiamond
    It comes down to a couple things... like the need for security in your organization, the anal-retentiveness of your IT director, the skill level and attitude of the BES admin (and time)... Whether he (or she) is an "I love to play with settings and figure out what everything does" or "The BES/Exchange server works and that's all I care about" type of person.

It's usually VERY expensive to monitor people... both fiscally and in terms of personell resources. And remember, that extra network traffic and server space taken up by additional logging and such is a resource that many network admins might object to.

What makes you think they'd want to monitor you? And how many other users are there? And what kind of racey text messages are you sending that you're so worried about? :-D
    Ha, its funny you say that. We have one man who manages blackberrys for the whole company, and he doesnt seem to really know much about bb's or BES. I asked him if it was possible for me to only sync with my work email (and not contacts, calendar, etc.) and he said it was "all or nothing". I even asked him if I could put contacts in one by one manually on my BB and he said no it wouldnt work. That sounded fishy to me, so I simply turned off contacts sync from the bb itself and then all my home contacts stayed there. Furthermore, when I was having an issue setting the bb up for the first time he told me that the device was defective and I needed to take it up with my carrier. After speaking to them, it was determined he simply "forgot" to issue me a pass key to connect to the BES! My point is that I dont think that he is going to spend the time to track users SMS messages, and this whole thread was really more of an informative lesson for me. As for what "racey" messages I am sending, there are none! I just would rather my company not read some of my late night messages or the stupid things I say to my buddies when I have knocked back a few cold ones!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123