Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I have my Blackberry set up with my work BES server for email. However, I ... General Blackberry forum

wifi4milez no está en línea Stack level 3

Is it possible to use BES and still get POP3 email?

Advertisement

I have my Blackberry set up with my work BES server for email. However, I have a personal POP account and a Gmail account that I also would like to sync with. Is it possible to receive both BES and POP email on the same device?

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Re: Is it possible to use BES and still get POP3 email?

It depends on your corporate IT policy. Some IT policies allow personal use. Most don't. Check with your IT dept.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

Are there any 3rd party applications I can use? I own the BB, I just use my works BES for email.

PIN/ID
    Just Ax

It doesn't matter who owns the device with a BES structure. Once you agree to allow BES access to your phone, you agree to the Corporate BES/IT policy.

So you still need to check with your Corporate IT policy to determine whether or not 3rd party apps are allowed.

FWIW, I declined to sign on to my company's BES for this reason. If I had, all personal functions on my device (SMS, MMS, BIS) would be locked out. Since I pay the freight on the bill, I decided to keep the functionality. I'd rather not get business emails on weekends anyway.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

Quote Originally Posted by LaTuFu
    It doesn't matter who owns the device with a BES structure. Once you agree to allow BES access to your phone, you agree to the Corporate BES/IT policy.

So you still need to check with your Corporate IT policy to determine whether or not 3rd party apps are allowed.

FWIW, I declined to sign on to my company's BES for this reason. If I had, all personal functions on my device (SMS, MMS, BIS) would be locked out. Since I pay the freight on the bill, I decided to keep the functionality. I'd rather not get business emails on weekends anyway.
    Here's where I disagree with you. Althogh I use my works BES server for email, I an still able to use SMS and I can still install 3rd party applications such as Jivetalk. As I understand it, using a corporate BES only prevents you from using applications that access the BES instead of the internet. For example, I tried installing the AIM client that came built into my Sprint 8830 and apparently it used the connection to the BES for access. When I tried to run it I got an error that I needed to have it "enabled" by my IT department. Conversely, when I installed Jivetalk (it uses the "regular" internet) I had no such problems and I use it every day. Is there a Gmail application that works this way as well?

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Quote Originally Posted by wifi4milez
    Here's where I disagree with you. Althogh I use my works BES server for email, I an still able to use SMS and I can still install 3rd party applications such as Jivetalk. As I understand it, using a corporate BES only prevents you from using applications that access the BES instead of the internet. For example, I tried installing the AIM client that came built into my Sprint 8830 and apparently it used the connection to the BES for access. When I tried to run it I got an error that I needed to have it "enabled" by my IT department. Conversely, when I installed Jivetalk (it uses the "regular" internet) I had no such problems and I use it every day. Is there a Gmail application that works this way as well?
    Actually he is correct. Each business sets up it's own IT policy. It just happens to be in your company's case they do not cripple the device as much as others. Each IT policy is unique to the company that set it up (even though they may just use a default policy or have theirs setup just like another company's). There are different settings that can be enabled or disabled (such as passwords, internet, 3rd party apps, etc..) that each company can decide to use or not use. I don't run a BES so I couldn't tell you exactly what choices there are but have seen enough IT policy enabled BB's coming through to know it isn't always the same from company to company or even employee to employee in the same company.

Zo

PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Quote Originally Posted by Amigotek
    it isn't always the same from company to company or even employee to employee in the same company.
    Double yup. I'm on the securities side of the house in my little corner of the world. We can't use our devices for any kind of business use without turning off complete access to personal use. Non-licensed personnel in our company that have devices do not have these restrictions, so they are able to use SMS, PIN, etc.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by wifi4milez
    Here's where I disagree with you. Althogh I use my works BES server for email, I an still able to use SMS and I can still install 3rd party applications such as Jivetalk.
    You can disagree but it doesn't make IT policies cease to exist. Your company is just more lenient than others as Amigotek has pointed out. There are certainly companies and government/military entities that choose to lock down their BES-connected BB's.

Also, be aware that nothing on a company BES-connected BB should be considered private -- regardless of the delivery method of the content to the BB. My company doesn't use BES IT policies either but I still use a personal BB (on hosted BES) completely separate from my work BB which is on their BES.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    So does this mean all my SMS messages are visible to corporate/IT department?

PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Yes. Anything coming in or going out of your BB through the network is visible to your company's IT department if they know how to look.

Zo

Does SMS even touch the BES though? It was my understanding that SMS was a function of the CDMA network (since you can use it even without a data plan), is this not correct? I am just trying to determine how my IT group would be able to see something that doesnt pass through the BES. Clearly they can see any emails sent or received, but SMS visibilty seems a bit strange.

PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

I am not sure exactly how it is routed but I was under the understanding that anything running through a BES equipped blackberry can be viewed and logged on the server as explained by BB and overheard in conversations. Someone with BES experience can possibly explain why and how that is handled. I think a lot of that has to do with US Government requirements for security (remember, they are still the largest consumer of BB devices in the world).

Zo

jgold47 no está en línea Stack level 1

I am pretty friendly with the BB guy here, and we are pretty relaxed policy wise. I have jivetalk, pop email, the gmail client, etc (and I am running bootlegged software). I was also told that PIN messages, and SMS is not logged, nor is POP email. Additionally, that unless you use the blackberry browser, that cant see what sites your going to, becuase it all goes throught hte provider (I use opera mini anywyas)

PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Ok. Definitely different from what was explained to me in training but that was over 2 years ago too. Haven't used a BES and don't forsee me doing so in the future so I figured my info was outdated by now.

Zo

Quote Originally Posted by jgold47
    I am pretty friendly with the BB guy here, and we are pretty relaxed policy wise. I have jivetalk, pop email, the gmail client, etc (and I am running bootlegged software). I was also told that PIN messages, and SMS is not logged, nor is POP email. Additionally, that unless you use the blackberry browser, that cant see what sites your going to, becuase it all goes throught hte provider (I use opera mini anywyas)
    Thats good news! I am getting conflicting information elsewhere however, so I hope we can settle this matter with confidence shortly. As for POP and Gmail (also POP), what clients are you running? If you are not running a client, how are you doing it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast