View Poll Results: Which Phone is the best?

Voters
92. Register free to vote on this poll
  • BlackBerry(any model)

71 77.17%
  • Nokia N95 8GB

18 19.57%
  • Iphone

3 3.26%
  • Verizon Voyager

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Iam about to purchase the nokia n95 or maybe the e90 only as to use ... General Blackberry forum

iamgoofy no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    210ca18d

Advertisement

Iam about to purchase the nokia n95 or maybe the e90 only as to use as a 2nd to my first choice "BB"! I am using the 8310curve now and still haven't unsealed my new 8820 yet! I'm still up in the air reading reviews on the 2nokias
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

dubai_bb no está en línea Stack level 3
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i think if you are corporate and running exchange you gotta have a BB......otherwise I don't see why someone wouldn't rather have a Nokia E61 or something else with that's 3G and more features than a BB. Myself and others I know would if my provider offered data plans for other devices.
    Can't have everything I guess.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    I've owned a Nokia E60, E61 & E62. All purchased as secondary devices to my main BB. There was a point in time prior to smart phones when Nokia made terrific phones. I became an advocate for the brand. Had several, with great build quality, good phone performance, and very good battery life. Sadly that has all changed. The best of the three listed above was the E60 but for one fatal flaw. It had the highest resolution combined with the smallest display, therefore the icons, and fonts were impossibly small. A complete deal breaker. Otherwise it represented an return to the "old Nokia" standards of good build quality. The E61 was larger, had a much better display, but the keyboard was not up to par. I sent the first one back, got a second one and it was the same. Not willing to quit, I got it exchanged for a third one only to find that indeed this one was the same and therefore they had lowered the quality standard for the keyboards. I enjoyed the wifi, and it was fun to play with but again, the quality suffered. So when AT&T demanded that Nokia remove the WiFi and create a new model for them it was labeled the E62. Virtually the same as the E61 but with the wifi removed. I bought one of those because I got a great deal from AT&T who is my carrier.

Since enough time had elapsed between the initial release of the E61, I thought perhaps the E62 would be the benefactor of some improvements, but alas that was not the case. In the end, I sold them all. So what initially began as my desire to have a good Nokia again, turned into the reality that Nokia has a long way to go. Especially if compared to a BB. The Symbian OS is no where near as intuitive, and useful as the RIM OS. Yes, on paper they look impressive, and of course the journalists are going to give them a decent review as they rely on advertising dollars, but when one actually buys one and uses it the ugly reality surfaces that this phone while better than some, is not up to the best Nokia is capable of doing.

To touch briefly on the N95, I also purchased one of those. An encouraging observation is the improved build quality. However that should be the case as they are sold for an obscene price. Again this is a device that looks terrific on paper, the specs are very impressive. However once in hand it's tank like and not ergonomically friendly. If you want a phone that has everything but the kitchen sink, where price and value are of no importance, then you may want to try one as a novelty. However I found like many multipurpose devices, that this one lacks the ability to live up to the expectations it's spec sheet creates. It's not great as a phone, not great as a camera since color balance and saturation is biased and not neutral and there is no correction or adjustment offered. As a music player it leaves a lot to be desired and overall, the life cycle of this model will be very short as I have already had a glance and the next round of "new" Nokia models. There's always hope that they will be brought up to par. However even if that occurs, they will still be far below the efficient, fast, stable, and very reliable BlackBerry.

broch no está en línea Stack level 2
    I think that this poll is quite flawed. this is why:
    1) no mention whether you are comparing N95 vs iphone vs all RIM lineup or specific berry
    2) personally I treat phones, computers, whatever electronics as tools only. So choice between BB and iphone was easy for me. I don't know much about nokia but arguments presented here aren't really informative:
    a) compare apps side by side
    b) compare security
    c) compare personal and enterprise application of specific phone
    d) multimedia
    e) camera
    f) battery life
    g) connection quality
    h) whatever else you may think of

what I know now is that you prefer BB because you prefer BB.
    Few times was said that nokia specs looks good on the paper. What is wrong with actual device?

why I have chosen BB over ihpone:
    1) device content encryption
    2) connection encryption (2048 key), s/mime, data is compressed and encrypted for all communications
    3) real time email (push)
    4) enforcing remote IT policy
    5) decent multimedia (sound, camera)
    6) EVDO better than EDGE
    7) a lot of third party software (so I can get html mail, google maps and few other)
    8) better keyboard for email writing
    9) what I miss: maybe better browser definitely better doc format support (I have DocHawk, but reading pdf without custom zoom is pain on the ***). I found BB browser as better choice than Opera by the way
    10) decent battery life (extended seidio)
    11) I found that iphone as phone is not great (but this is also ATT vs verizon network quality which in the end goes back to the phone usability)

I don't know much about N95 so obviously I can't vote.
    Last edited by broch; 03-18-2008 at 01:48 AM.

chaos9 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I use a 8320 with a Pearl as a backup. I will admit to being more than a little interested in the N95, to the point of scouring the web looking for a less beastly price. But after reading what owners of that device have to say about it here, I'm thinking I'll save my money for the next BB model my carrier offers. Thanks for all your input.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by chaos9 View Post
    I use a 8320 with a Pearl as a backup. I will admit to being more than a little interested in the N95, to the point of scouring the web looking for a less beastly price. But after reading what owners of that device have to say about it here, I'm thinking I'll save my money for the next BB model my carrier offers. Thanks for all your input.
    You are making a very wise decision.

Believe me just because I am a BB advocate doesn't mean that I'm biased.

I was once a big Nokia advocate, until they allowed the quality and functionality to decline to unacceptable levels. That said, if indeed the N95 was a good phone I would be the first to report it. I have a full appreciation for any good product from any manufacturer. I report accurately as I am not involved as an employee or representative for any of the companies that produce phones. I remain open minded and frankly hope to see Nokia return to the prior quality standard they had set for their handsets.

One of the reasons I buy so many phones each year is that I want to be able to have the experience of owning and using them. Presently and in the near future I cannot imagine anything appearing to truly surpass the BB. Then again I could also be 100% wrong as this sector is rapidly developing new products. Thus I remain a phone enthusiast that owns and uses several different BB models as my main phone, while buying the others just for fun, and my personal education. As they say this is simply no substitute for experience. I have and continue to purchase phones from all the major, and not so major manufacturers.

In the event that I come across a truly good product I report accordingly. Because this is such a dynamic and competitive business I find it interesting to watch the ebb and flow of the various products made by the different manufacturers. I go into every purchase and evaluation with an open mind and judge the product based on how it compares to the others in the same target market. There are certain phones that simply should not be compared as they are in different categories, thus I make sure that I'm comparing competing models, not just any phone, against any other phone.

Finally, I have no negative bias towards any mfg or product. I have no time for negativity and always look for the positives. Therefore I never bash anyones products. That's a stupid waste of time, with no positive returns. If I find something that in my experience is unacceptable I will be the first to report that as well, however that is not to be misread as bashing or being critical. It is what it is.

An example of that is the fact that the iPhone lacks cut and paste. This is something that I use a great deal on my BB as I like to capture info from the web and the BB makes it very fast and easy. For the iPhone to have overlooked including this feature is a gross oversight in my opinion. And yet I'm not condemning and saying the phone is not worth it simply because of that one shortcoming, I simply take that into consideration and if there enough shortcomings for any model of phone then it will be the sum total of those that cause me to not recommend the phone.

bmay82 no está en línea Stack Professional
    Well this is my first blackberry and will not get another phone! The best phone i've ever had hands down!!!!

And having this website is awesome.........having all this knowledge in one place is priceless! Thanks all

kingrykku27 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2444409C
    For those of you complaining about the blackberries lacking multimedia features as opposed to the n95 or iPhone, think about this: RIM has been making business phones with push email and data encryption, not fun toys with a camera and sliding action. These things are meant to do work, and be amazing at it. I would prefer a phone with a reliable OS that does what it does amazingly instead of a phone that does a bunch of stuff in a mediocre fashion.

vel4769 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I've owned numerous nokia phones and recently (several weeks ago) got rid of the my N91 8GB and my wife's N72. I was about to purchase the N95 and my wife stopped me from buying it. She introduced me to the BB and I've been addicted to it ever since. I'm glad because the BB is more practical for me.

dubai_bb no está en línea Stack level 3
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i want to know why this poll includes an N95. Shouldn't it have an E61i or E90 Communicator instead? Its better to compare those to BB's. N95 is more of a multimedia phone.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123