So here goes.. I just got a used 7290 off of ebay. I am completely ... General Blackberry forum

mqrx97 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    201e0540

Question Please, More Expirienced BBer's Help!

Advertisement

So here goes..

I just got a used 7290 off of ebay. I am completely new to the BB world! I've read so many good things about them, that I had to see what all the hype was about. I should be recieving my 7290 tommorow via UPS.

I have already called Cingular and signed up for a BB data plan. They gave me "BlackberryConnectUNL". Correct me if i'm wrong but is that not for non RIM phones that have BB capabilities?

Regardless of the fact when I get my 7290 tommorow, i will be calling Cingular and getting the new $29.99 plan. All in all what are some of the first things I should do with my device to get it working the right way.

I have the sim and all the things that come wih it. Any software upgrades that I should do to the device..anything of that sort? Please let me know! Thank You very much!!

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Re: Please, More Expirienced BBer's Help!

Well, depening on who had your BB before you purchased it, it may already have the most recent Operating System upgrade, but you won't be able to tell that until you get it physically in your hands and can see for yourself.

I would definately make sure that the device has been wiped and all previous information that was on it erased, so that you can start from scratch.

The best advice that I can give is in your spare time search these forums. When you feel like you have reached the end of the forums, search some more because there will always be new information appearing every hour of every day.

If you ever need anything that you can't find an answer to on the forums or that hasn't been addressed before, then post the question and any question you may have will be answered to the best of the ability of Pinstack and the members (I have never seen a question go unanswered...Too many bright minds here).

Welcome to The Stack, and be prepared to start fighting a very strong addiction.

PIN/ID
    201e0540

LoL! Thanks N8. You know what, thats all i've been doing..reading threw as many forums as possible! I can not wait to get my BB. Its all ive been thinking about for the past week. I think i'm already addicted! Sad part is..I dont even have my BB yet! This is scary!

One question though..

The previous owner has the App "IM+" installed. If I wipe the device clean of all data, i.e. doing the 10 incorrect password thing, will it erase the app? What kind of wipe can I do to erase his personal data and keep the apps?

Thanks!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

"BlackberryConnectUNL" is Cingular's name for the BlackBerry Internet Service. This is for BlackBerry devices.

Choose the Wipe and Restore. This will wipe personal information but restore the applications.

PIN/ID
    201e0540

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073
    Choose the Wipe and Restore. This will wipe personal information but restore the applications.
    What is the best and easiest way to go about doing this?

Thanks!

BACKUP THE INFO BEFORE YOU WIPE THE DEVICE. Then go to Options>Security Options>General Settings, then click on the drop down menu and choose "Wipe Handheld." Then restore the device by reloading the Handheld OS and load the backup you saved to your pc before wiping it.

PIN/ID
    201e0540

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073
    BACKUP THE INFO BEFORE YOU WIPE THE DEVICE. Then go to Options>Security Options>General Settings, then click on the drop down menu and choose "Wipe Handheld." Then restore the device by reloading the Handheld OS and IM+ along with whatever other apps you want to use.
    ok, cool! so by wiping the device i am deleting EVERYTHING including the Blackberry OS. So when I restore the device with the apps that I backed up I am also gonna need to install the OS. Do you think I should install the newest availible OS from the RIM website?

Once I do all of what you said, it should be like I have a brand new device, correct?

Yes to both questions.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Welcome to the world of the BB. When you get the BB, if it doesn't have a Cingular logo on the face it may be locked to another carrier. And if it is Cingular, I hope the original user removed the PIN and IMEI from his webclient account, otherwise your going to have trouble setting it up.

Just my $0.02
    Rcbjr

PIN/ID
    201e0540

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    Welcome to the world of the BB. When you get the BB, if it doesn't have a Cingular logo on the face it may be locked to another carrier. And if it is Cingular, I hope the original user removed the PIN and IMEI from his webclient account, otherwise your going to have trouble setting it up.

Just my $0.02
    Rcbjr
    what do you mean about the PIN and IMEI thing? the phone was unlocked and he was using the phone on the tmobile network. he loaded the phone w/ the most recent CINGULAR OS. i think 4.1?

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Rcbjr's saying that the PIN and IMEI need to be released by T-Mobile. If they're already associated with a BIS account you won't be able to set up your own BIS account tied to the device until the older one is deleted. It's not an issue if you intend to use BES only but that doesn't sound like it's the case.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Exactly, thanks Takeshi.

Rcbjr

PIN/ID
    201e0540

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~alright people I'm glad to rport I got my BB and workin on bis 2.0 perfectly. I love this!

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro

Welcome to Pinstack! And congrats on your first OTA post...