Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Not a technical question, but logistical -- why would one choose PIN messaging over SMS, ... General Blackberry forum

rivviepop no está en línea Stack level 2

PIN vs. SMS, why?

Advertisement

Not a technical question, but logistical -- why would one choose PIN messaging over SMS, laying aside the data plan vs. sms bucket thing. I can only see downsides to PIN:

- change your device, have to tell everyone your new PIN. SMS, your number stays with you (now, modern days of number porting)

- PIN is BB specific, you mean all your friends and contacts use BB and nobody uses other (SMS-only) devices? (my company execs live on Treos, e.g.)

I'm not coming from the Enterprise BB world, so is there something PIN messaging offers for these users that I'm just not seeing? I'm curious why PIN exists; it almost feels like something out of history -- a PIN is your Compuserve address, and SMS is your email address. PIN is just something left from the dark ages of handheld computing?

Wild opinions and speculation welcome! As a generic BIS user I'm just not seeing the need for this thing in my modern handheld world.

EvolutionCSR no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: PIN vs. SMS, why?

I dont use it very often either probably once a day

For one example I help alot of people here and instead of giving out my phone number to thousands of people I can just give them my PIN.

Plus it doesnt charge just uses data, but of course like you said it is BB specific.

My .02

naviwilliams no está en línea Stack level 4

My 2p's worth: you can have a 'mini conversation' with Pin, via BlackBerry Pin Messenger...

I say 'mini', but really as long as you want...

Quote Originally Posted by navilyn
    My 2p's worth: you can have a 'mini conversation' with Pin, via BlackBerry Pin Messenger...
    Can't you do this with SMS? On my Pearl here, replies to SMS's are below (so what you might call a threaded view) which I find pleasing -- many (many) other devices can't do this, it's really nice to have a contextual SMS thread.

Does PIN do something different, like maybe realtime (ala AIM/Yahoo/etc. IM)? My understanding (which can be flawed, feel free to correct me ) is that it's a one-shot message send & receive protocol like SMS - it justs uses a data connection (GPRS/EDGE) instead of SMS (GSM).

GadgetProne no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Blackberry Messenger is indeed like aim,msn,yahoo but for all blackberry owners. If you use the search button above you can locate people all over the world. I love it. Real time Chat. Why have aim, msn, yahoo? Because people do. We have BB messenger! If you don't want to use it, DON't. Just don't give out your PIN# so you won't be troubled. Anybody can sms but not everyone can PIN.

Thumbs up Re: PIN vs. SMS, why?

Quote Originally Posted by rivviepop
    Can't you do this with SMS? On my Pearl here, replies to SMS's are below (so what you might call a threaded view) which I find pleasing -- many (many) other devices can't do this, it's really nice to have a contextual SMS thread.

Does PIN do something different, like maybe realtime (ala AIM/Yahoo/etc. IM)? My understanding (which can be flawed, feel free to correct me ) is that it's a one-shot message send & receive protocol like SMS - it justs uses a data connection (GPRS/EDGE) instead of SMS (GSM).
    Yes, you're right you can do this with SMS, and again you're right not 'all' devices have it as a thread. I guess I've just been a pin lover from the time I got a BlackBerry. I hardly use SMS, unless someone happened to send me an SMS.

PIN's from what I understand are instant. Well, they seem to be to me, so far. As for cost, I thought it was part of the package, for having a BlackBerry. Whereas SMS, you have to have a specific package for it, no? I hope someone else can clarify that...

GadgetProne no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask

If you have an unlimited data plan....your fine. Some folks in Europe and other places have restricted amounts of data...so it will cost them if they go over their limit.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Here are my thoughts.
    1. Ability to use Pin to Pin Internationally from anywhere you have a connection
    2. No limit on length before incurring multiple message charges
    3. No need to provide Phone Number to strangers
    4. Doesn't use Carriers SMS portal, Only the Tower to RIM network connection.
    5. Doesn't require SMS Message Package on Account, therefore no addional costs.
    6. Reliable messaging to BB user no matter which carrier they have or if their carrier has SMS capability/restrictions or not.
    7. ability to send images without incurring MMS charges.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

I love Rcbjr's description...

Well, notice my caveat regarding data plan versus SMS bucket -- the whole idea of cost is up to your provider. If we were talking cost alone, SMS would be cheaper because you don't need a data plan, more or less. My plan on T-Mo is unlimited data and SMS (and minutes) for fairly cheap, I saved $5/mo with a Blackberry plan instead of having three seperate minutes+data+sms addons. That's why I think ignoring the cost here is a good idea, it's too random and carrier based.

Comments from RCBjr's post of what's on my mind:

1. Ability to use Pin to Pin Internationally from anywhere you have a connection

Now this is cool, ok -- so no matter if you're using a prepay SIM or your native one, it's coherent. I guess if you never switch devices this works out well (I'm fickle and willing to try and play with any new handset).

This doesn't make sense to me -- you gave them your PIN, which is almost the same, a direct personal way to get to you. Honestly I don't give out anything to strangers (AIM, PIN, phone, whatever) unless I know/trust. Company stuff is different, I'm talking personal life here. In this age of identity theft, you don't need to know me (unless we're meeting for beers or a hockey game or beers at a hockey game).

4. Doesn't use Carriers SMS portal, Only the Tower to RIM network connection.

I kinda see these as the same -- SMS uses my carrier, PIN uses RIM. Still has to go through a routing server (where server == intelligence, could be embedded like a switch) to get delivered. But this rolls more into....

6. Reliable messaging to BB user no matter which carrier they have or if their carrier has SMS capability/restrictions or not.

Out of curiosity -- do people have problems like this, in general, anymore? I don't think I've had a SMS problem in at least a year, maybe 2. I know it works fantasically in other countries as well, some I have firsthand expereince but some only from reading about it.

Thanks all for feedback -- I had my own thought maybe you could answer. On a BES infrastructure, would PIN messaging enable mass messages from an admin? (i.e. "IT: 911, power outage dallas facility, inbound mail on hold") If so this seems like a very valid use for PIN that would be messy with SMS...

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

This doesn't make sense to me -- you gave them your PIN, which is almost the same, a direct personal way to get to you. Honestly I don't give out anything to strangers (AIM, PIN, phone, whatever) unless I know/trust. Company stuff is different, I'm talking personal life here. In this age of identity theft, you don't need to know me (unless we're meeting for beers or a hockey game or beers at a hockey game).
    Actually, it's not anywhere near the same. Giving out your phone number can allow them access to you from any phone at any time. And if you need your phone on all the time it can lead to annoying phone calls. With a PIN, it is limited to other Blackberry Devices, and I can turn of the PIN alerts, without turning off the phone alerts and not be bothered.

Out of curiosity -- do people have problems like this, in general, anymore? I don't think I've had a SMS problem in at least a year, maybe 2. I know it works fantasically in other countries as well, some I have firsthand expereince but some only from reading about it.
    Read some of the threads about the problems Stackers have been having on SMS between carriers, and where they have to use the email workaround to send SMS. There have been a bunch of threads about this on the stacks lately.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Heyitsaaron no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr View Post
    Actually, it's not anywhere near the same. Giving out your phone number can allow them access to you from any phone at any time. And if you need your phone on all the time it can lead to annoying phone calls. With a PIN, it is limited to other Blackberry Devices, and I can turn of the PIN alerts, without turning off the phone alerts and not be bothered.

Exactly. I love my Pin Messaging.

greenandgold52 no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~pin message I agree is very similar to a sms but the big bonus to pin is bb msger. Real time messagers with when its been delivered as well as when its been read. No more excuses the someone "didn't" get the msg you know. It is a handy and cool system.

Heyitsaaron no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by greenandgold52 View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~pin message I agree is very similar to a sms but the big bonus to pin is bb msger. Real time messagers with when its been delivered as well as when its been read. No more excuses the someone "didn't" get the msg you know. It is a handy and cool system.
    My boss said he like the accoutablity of it all.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast