I have done some research and haven't really found an answer so I thought I ... General Blackberry forum

millertivo no está en línea Stack level 1

PIN message / privacy / BES vs. BIS browser

Advertisement

I have done some research and haven't really found an answer so I thought I would post a question.

1) If I have a BIS account through my carrier (T-Mobile) and BES through work, what server does the PIN messages and BlackBerry Messenger traffic go through? Is there a way to ensure that these messages go through the BIS data plan and not through the BES? I had the BlackBerry on BIS for a while before I completed the Enterprise activation. Once BES is activated, does that mean the PIN message and BlackBerry Messenger traffic moves over to the BES?

2) A related question: Is there a way to ensure that all browser traffic goes through the BIS? I have set the default browser connection to Internet Browser. Is that enough?

Essentially, I would like to make sure that everything except the email traffic through BES is on the BIS data plan and therefore untraceable through the BES servers. I don't know if I'm framing the question correctly.

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Re: PIN message / privacy / BES vs. BIS browser

I don't think browsers care about BIS or BES.

As for the PIN traffic, I am not sure, but I think that is handled as a text message.- device to device.

One point though if you have a company BB and a BES account, the company actually owns everything that comes to and from. If you want personal data separate, I recommend getting your own device for your personal stuff. Its much easier and cleaner that way.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Nothing is private on a BES-connected Blackberry regardless of how the data gets to the device. Your BES admin has full access to the device. PIN messages don't travel via BES but your BES admin can pull them anyway, for example.

If you want to guarantee privacy then get a personal BB as Dubdub said.

cwax no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    32DEF7BB

Depends what version of BES you're running; BES 4.1 has PIN and sms auditing

"PIN to PIN and SMS message audit logs – provides an optional setting that enables compliance with corporate or government regulations"

millertivo no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks for the responses. To be clear, my device is my personal device that I purchased and I pay the bill. My company just reimburses for the BES charge.

All I was trying to do was to ensure that when I do use it for personal things - i.e., sms, mms, pin messaging and instant messaging - it wasn't going through the company's servers. But it sounds like, based on the responses, that if the BES adminstrator wants to turn on logging for those items, they can. Can someone tell me how this is logged? Does the just the to/from data show up in the BES logs? Or does the actually messages show up on their servers? And say someone sends pictures via mms, does that show up? I'm not too concerned as I am sure my company permits this as we buy our own devices, but I would like to have an idea of what exactly they see. I suppose I should just ask.

One final question: Does the logging apply to personal email accounts that I set up through t-zones and the tmo.blackberry.com account?

Thanks again.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

They can definitely pull PIN messages. Search news articles for CIBC and Blackberry PIN messaging on Google (it's an old story).