I have about 700 numbers in my phone and would like to have a search ... General Blackberry forum

vince1 no está en línea Community Pro
    PIN/ID
    Stack

phonebook search

Advertisement

I have about 700 numbers in my phone and would like to have a search function. It would search the phone book for any referance to the search input. So if I had say Tesco in the notes of a few contacts it would comeback with a list of these.

I had this on my old palm and used it all the time. Very handy for funding a number if I cannt remember the persons name.

vinmontRD no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: phonebook search

Quote Originally Posted by vince1 View Post
    I have about 700 numbers in my phone and would like to have a search function. It would search the phone book for any referance to the search input. So if I had say Tesco in the notes of a few contacts it would comeback with a list of these.

I had this on my old palm and used it all the time. Very handy for funding a number if I cannt remember the persons name.
    Vince - that's exactly what the Blackberry search feature can do. Ex: I have just under 500 contacts. On reading your note, I went into Outlook, opened up one of the contacts and added the word "searchtest" in the notes for that contact. I closed the contact, plugged in my Curve, sync'd, and then fired up Blackberry "search" (the magnifying glass icon). I selected Address Book (and Messages) and entered "searchtest" as the text to search for. After a few second, it showed me that no messages matched my criteria, but that one Address Book entry did - I displayed it, and got exactly what I was expecting.

Works perfectly - give it a try!

- Jon

btw: search lets you search any combination of Messages, Encrypted Msgs, Calendar, Address Book, MemoPad and Tasks simultaneously
    Last edited by vinmontRD; 12-14-2007 at 01:02 PM.

vince1 no está en línea Community Pro
    PIN/ID
    Stack

I just check it and your right. I had that icon hid.
    Thanks for this will make my life so much easier
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by vince1 View Post
    I just check it and your right. I had that icon hid.
    Thanks for this will make my life so much easier
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    like Christmas coming a couple of weeks early when you discover a feature you didn't know you had!

jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    No-More

yeah... gotta love the search features - and even better that it breaks it out by Msgs, or Contacts, etc...

------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Yep, and there are even better options, especially if you sync with a PIM that supports Categories, or if you use the company name field. Using categories you can use the Address Book edit feature to add categories to your contact, but it's easier in Outlook if you set up a view that shows the categories. As an example, I have a contact in my address book for one of the staff, I edit their entry to add the category PinStack. When I want to view all entries for PinStack, I open my Address book, then the menu and select Filter and select PinStack. Done all my PinStack contacts are shown.

If you use the Company Name, or remember the first name only, you can just start typing and the list will start thinning down until you find or can scroll to the name you want.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

mortys11 no está en línea Stack level 2

you dont even need to do that

just go to address book and start typing the key word

Quote Originally Posted by mortys11 View Post
    you dont even need to do that

just go to address book and start typing the key word
    Excellent! That is one of the things that make Blackberry's so usable: this is a consistent design paradigm - analogous to the way you can start keying in a name or telephone number from the home screen, and see a shrinking list of entries that match what you're typing. Superb attention to user interface concepts at RIM.

xero-xero no está en línea Stack level 1

finding things is soo much fun, if i could only remeber where i left my phone...

Virex no está en línea Banned for Content theft
    PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    finding things is soo much fun, if i could only remeber where i left my phone...
    lol you could always whistle really loud and see if it comes to you :P