View Poll Results: Are Persistent Connection Attempts By Third-Party Apps Acceptable To You?

Voters
7. Register free to vote on this poll
  • Myself: No, Corporate: No

7 100.00%
  • Myself: No, Corporate: Yes

0 0%
  • Myself: Yes, Corporate: Yes

0 0%
  • Myself: Yes, Corporate: No

0 0%

Certain third-party application attempt persistent connections to their respective developer sites. We are specifically referring ... General Blackberry forum

adamlau no está en línea Stack level 1

Are Persistent Connection Attempts By Third-Party Apps Acceptable To You?

Advertisement

Certain third-party application attempt persistent connections to their respective developer sites. We are specifically referring to checks outside what the end-user is allowed to set through the application options, i.e. the option to disable database sychronization by unchecking a setting checkbox. Reasons offered by developers for persistent connection attempts include software update pushes and registration checks. This practice of pushing outbound data to developers from the client side has long been frowned upon by desktop users, who often refer to such applications as spyware, or malware regardless of the data content (innocuous or otherwise). The legitimacy or usefulness of third-party applications is not in question here. Just whether you feel that these persistent connection attempts are acceptable by you and whether they are acceptable by your corporate privacy and/or security policy.
    Last edited by adamlau; 08-02-2006 at 02:25 PM.

TechieGirl no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: Are Persistent Connection Attempts By Third-Party Apps Acceptable To You?

I guess that would depend on what you consider persistent connection attempts. I would say if it's everytime I start that software it wouldn't be an issue for me, but if you mean like every hour or so then no I would consider it a waste of resources on the BB
    Nikki
    iPhone 4S - work
    Samsung Galaxy SII - personal
    Supporting BB, android and iOs devices at work.

colabnet no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Are Persistent Connection Attempts By Third-Party Apps Acceptable To You?

I can't see how seamless(read without my knowledge) information transfer from my device to anyone else can truly be more of a benefit to me than to someone else - I am saddend by the various so-called rewards cards that are really veiled attempts at customer profiling - I certainly do like the benefits of such rewards, but it is questionable whether or not they (or anyone besides yours truly) should be aggregating it with eveyone elses data in order to make us all spend more of our hard earned cash.

Shouldn't we get paid up front for our tremendous supply of demographic marketing data?

I felt like ranting a little - hope that's ok here
    Collaborative Network Technologies Inc.
    http://www.colabnet.com
    55 Bond Street, Suite 103,
    St. John's, NL
    A1C 1S9

Are Persistent Connection Attempts By Third-Party Apps Acceptable To You?

The constant connection attempts to wwrex.com are taking a toll on device battery life. Short of enabling the firewall and denying connections, there is NO available setting to disable such attempts.

For those IdeaMatrix and ToDoMatrix users who may be unaware of the persistent connection attempts:

Security Options > Firewall > Menu > Reset Settings and witness the daily barrage of attempts.

And the tips and hints pages are particularly annoying as registered users SHOULD NOT be subject to deal with daily instances of outright SPAM. This is compounded by the fact that there is no option to disable tips and hints.

The developers are aware of these issues, but may need a push from public opinion to expedite the resolution of the above mentioned annoyances. To current and prospective IdeaMatrix and ToDoMatrix users and all others: Comments, thoughts, suggestions?
    Last edited by adamlau; 08-06-2006 at 04:22 PM.
    Cingular BBRYBISUNL

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Re: ToDoMatrix & IdeaMatrix Annoyances

I haven't tried these applications. Anyone else?
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

tjunkie no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    203E690C

I have used both application for 2 months now and they work perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by tjunkie
    I have used both application for 2 months now and they work perfectly
    I too am a registered user of IdeaMatrix, but find the practice of persistent connection attempts and the push of uncalled for hints and tips entirely unappealing.
    Cingular BBRYBISUNL