hey guys. there was a poll on the 8100 forum, but it seemed bias to ... General Blackberry forum

BamaFan2989 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask :)

Pearl vs Curve ROUND 2 ZOMG!

Advertisement

hey guys.

there was a poll on the 8100 forum, but it seemed bias to me!

i have a pearl, and am thinking about switching to the curve when it comes out for tmo (the wifi has me sold).

i just see it as, a little bigger pearl with come bonus features :]

so what do you guys think? which do you like more? and what experiences do you have with each?

krees23 no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Pearl vs Curve ROUND 2 ZOMG!

I have a Pearl now, I'm considering switching, but I want to see an actual unit first before I make up my mind. The Pearl has great versatility in a small form factor, my primary reason to switch would be the wifi and larger screen. If it is too big, then that's a deal breaker for me.

PIN/ID

well my girlfriend's brother has the tmo dash and one of my high school friends, and i have played with both of them... and they seem small to me...

maybe not as small as the pearl, but i mean, it's small enough to me to easily do what i need.

and the review on prizefight, said that the curve was smaller than the dash, which seems good to me :]

i think i am sold curve :]

vinmontRD no está en línea Stack level 3

Had BB's back to 7290's, including 8700, Pearl, 8800 and now Curve. Used all of them intensively, and they all have their own strengths. For me, however, the Curve is the definite winner:

- 8700 a bit too bulky for me, and I've grown to love the trackball and wouldn't go back to the thumb wheel for anything; 8700 out of the running for my tastes.

- 8800 very nice and robust. Excellent solid device, felt like it was built like a tank. However I found it a bit too big and heavy, and I believe the relatively point corners combine with the size to make it a bit uncomfortable to hold as well as awkward in my pocket for those days when I just want to stash it there rather than in a holster.

- Pearl is an excellent device, and I really hesitated letting it go. The size is fantastic when stashing it in a pocket, and it's small and light enough to actually drop in a shirt pocket on occasion. It's incredibly powerful for the size. I did find, however, that SureType was a bit annoying after I had gotten used to QWERTY on the 7290, 8700 and 8800. I also found the screen size a bit smaller than I would like. It was truly a tough decision to let this tiny marvel go, but in the end, the screen size and lack of QWERTY keyboard tipped the scales.

- Curve: ahhhh! That's what I felt when I first used it: ahhhhh! It is just sufficiently smaller than the 8800, and has sufficiently rounded corners, so that it's totally comfortable in hand as well as the pocket. It is, admittedly, a bit bigger than a Pearl, but not so much (like the 8800) as to become uncomfortable. The Curve has the best ergonomics of any mobile phone I have used in the last 15 years (and I have used a LOT!). The screen size is fantastic for a device this pocketable - I would never want to go back to something smaller like the Pearl's after having this. Photos look great on this, and I can actually watch an occasional video without going blind. The QWERTY keyboard is excellent for me - no mistakes, full speed typing and it's relatively fatigue-free (and I have big hands, too - x-large gloves).

Really becomes a personal decision:

I love the Pearl, and would actually love to own one as a second device.

But...I REALLY love the Curve. I have owned many mobile phones over the past 15 years, and this still strikes me as the best I have ever owned, in terms of total balance of form factor, ergonomics, signal strength, sound quality, battery life, screen and usability.

Your personal considerations will likely be different from mine -- but my favorite device on today's market is currently the Curve.

krees23 no está en línea Stack level 2

The keyboard is a pain with the Pearl. I turned off the SureType because it was very annoying. Multitap was ok, but I'm yearning for a full key layout.

I'm getting more sold on the Curve.

Good write-up vinmontRD

PIN/ID

yeah very nice write up, i think i am going to get the curve.

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no

Both handsets are pretty identical feature wise and offer the same OS benefitss per hardware model (i.e. wifi models will have streaming ability with 4.3 while non wifi models [except for evdo providers] will not, etc). I really see them as basically the same phone, except ones a big brother version and other is a little brother one. The major differences is the keys and the size of the screen.

It comes down to if you are a qwerty person or a suretype person. For me, I discovered I need qwerty and suretype just was no longer for me. Was so bad that I picked up an 8700, stopped using my 8100 and now am getting ready to upgrade to the 8320 (sold the pearl yesterday to a co-worker).

Naylor07 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241ECE99

I didn't like suretype, that is why I moved to the curve from the pearl 3 months ago.

soufpac no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    \P

good writeup vinmont

and suretype is still a hassle to me
    Last edited by soufpac; 09-22-2007 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Automerged.