Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I have a Pearl 8100 and love it. I have had it for a year ... General Blackberry forum

renizans no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Pearl or Curve?

Advertisement

I have a Pearl 8100 and love it. I have had it for a year and have really just learned how to appreciate so much of it. My co-worker got a Curve and doesn't like it so he offered it to me. I love the smallness of the Pearl but are there pros to the Curve that might make me want to consider a change? Are there as many apps, themes, ringtones...fun available for the Curve as there are for the Pearl? I like the full QWERTY board but am used to the Pearl so I'm not sure. Any pros and cons for both would be appreciated!

capdgow no está en línea Stack level 2
    I had a Pearl until I fell off my boat into the sea and decided to upgrade to the Curve, so I have a little experience of both. I found the Pearl a little too small for my hand but I quickly got used to it. I found the Curve just right for size but clumsy to hold. As far as operation is concerned I found the Pearl to be a lot more convenient for text and phone use, however, the Curve seems better for emails. The Curve is very inconvenient as a phone, unless you have pre-entered numbers.

phatmanxxl no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3M TA3
    My friend did the switch and she said the keyboard is squeaky and its too fat compared to the pearl. I guess it all depends what you intend on using it for. If you end up not digging the curve I'm sure it won't be hard to find some one to trade their pearl for it.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

mike22 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ASKME

Thumbs up both

i have both the curve is way better hands down,if you dont own one then you wont know what i m talking about>>>

gritsinct no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    So for those of us that are curious - what exactly makes the Curve better than the Pearl??

I keep reading how the curve is so much better, but how? Other than the full keyboard - which is user preference, what makes the curve better??? It was my understanding that they are basically the same phone in terms of capabilities (when comparing the same model type (GPS, WiFi, etc) and the OS) - is that not the case?

This would be discounting the bigger screen size which again is user preference since bigger screen = bigger phone to fit in hand, etc.

Is there some functionality that the curve has that the pearl does not have? I have the 8120 and I really like SureType but if there was some obvious advantage to the Curve, then I would definitely consider changing....
    Last edited by gritsinct; 04-23-2008 at 10:24 PM.

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F
    I tried out both a Curve and a Pearl when my 7105t died, a couple of months ago. ( I did not check the entire product line, just the two devices that were available on the spot.) Ringtones, themes or videogames are of no interest to me; the only material difference was that the Curve had WiFi and the Pearl didn't. But...if there is WiFi available, I fire up my laptop; I'm hardly ever without it!

I chose the Pearl.

moses2628 no está en línea Stack level 6
    Go with the pearl! Small,sleek, and suretype is very easy to master!!!!!

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    The Curve has more features than the 8100. Why not ask the coworker to let you try it out for a couple of days? If you like the 8100, then you should think about the 8120.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Here's a good comparison http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices/

Personally, I prefer the Pearl (although Sprint's new Curve has caught my eye, but not enough to make me change providers). I needed portability, ease of use, and a small all in one phone. I'm going to T-Mo in about a week and a half to pick up my 8120. I may look at the 8320, 8800 and 8820 while there but I know I'm leaving with the 8120.

Try the Curve and see if it fits comfortably in your hand and how comfortable you feel holding it in your hand as a phone. Try out the keyboard also and see which is easier and faster to type on.
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 04-24-2008 at 12:49 AM.

The curve has a better camara, wifi, full keyboard, bigger screen, better sound, a 3.5mm headphone jack, spell check,4gb memory, just to name a few. The 8120 has all that too plus video and 8gb media.
    So if you can't upgrade right now then definitely get the Curve and have both. But, if you can upgrade and you are used to the Pearl, then get the 8120. Problem solved.

Plus, you can transfer all of your 8100 wallpaper and themes to the 8120.

jake.schires no está en línea Stack level 3
    I currently have the Pearl, and have no intentions on upgrading to the Curve. I have held one, and they are huge. I think the QWERTY keyboard is a waste of beautiful screen space, they could just put the 2 letter QWERTY on it and maybe it would have a bigger screen. I think Apps and Ringtones can go on any of the phones correct? It's just the Themes that are specific to the phone.

volkanerkan no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    252B8E82
    Buy both

renizans no está en línea Stack level 1
    Thanks for all of the suggestions.... I am very partial to my Pearl and will likely not change... I'm thinking the 8120 sounds nice... I miss having a video capture. It is probably on a thread here somewhere but why Wi-Fi for a phone? Does is just make things faster?

Mike Stem no está en línea Stack level 2
    Here is my $0.02 worth: I have had a Pearl 8100 for just under a year. For several months I have been really thinking about getting a Curve. Finally checked one out last weekend at Best Buy. Played with it for about 30 minutes, hard to get a "feel" for it as it had one of those clumsy anti-theft things glued to it. Made mental note to go to T-Mobile store to actually handle a "naked" Curve. Anyway, I am not so sure now, I thought it would be "better", I liked the larger screen, but... I don't think I liked the keyboard, the keys seemed too far spaced, guess I have taken to the narrow and tighter keyboard of the Pearl. The more I think about it, the more inclined I am to move to the new Pearl, the 8120. It has all of the cool new features including Wi-Fi. Really really thinking about going in that direction.

PS Just thought of this: I also think I have really gotten used to keyboarding on the Pearl with one hand, not sure the Curve wouldn't take a new typing routine? Looks like it is setup for more of a two-thumbed approach. Just my thoughts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast