Hi Everyone, I am new to PinStack and relatively new to BB as I am ... General Blackberry forum

TeriO no está en línea Stack level 3

Pearl 8100 user to upgrade; considering Curve VS Bold

Advertisement

Hi Everyone,

I am new to PinStack and relatively new to BB as I am still on my BB first phone. I currently have the Pearl 8100 and I am due to upgrade in December. I am debating on the BB Curve or the BB Bold because I have heard good things about both, but am not sure which will suite me best. My main reason for upgrading is that I want a faster Internet connection, with my phone, then I currently have with my Pearl, which, be honest kind of sucks. I know that the connection for the Bold is supposed to be outstanding, but I am wondering if the overall size of the phone will put me off. I love the size of the Curve, which is one of the main reasons I am giving it serious consideration. However, I have not really been able to figure out much as far as what the Internet connection speeds are like for the Curve. I am not the most tech savvy person and while I am learning, all of the numbers used to describe the Internet speed of each device tend to leave me just as confused when I started. From what I am gathering, the Internet speed on the Bold is VERY fast, but I am wondering if there is enough of a difference from the Internet connection on the Curve to make giving up the slightly smaller size worth while. Any suggestions or comments that could help me out?

If you have made it to the end of this, thanks for your time and patience.

Mortgage_Man no está en línea Stack level 3
    Curve and Pearl both access the Edge network; therefore,you will net the same internet speeds unless you are in a wifi area and can run internet on that.The Bold has 3G capabilities so that if you are in a 3G area, you will get much faster speeds.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

shaunslastname no está en línea Stack level 2
    Choose the speed over size. You will be much happier in the long run. there isnt much difference between the bold and curve so Im sure you could deal with it. But with a much faster processer and wifi capabilities along with 3g service, most Curve owners will prefer the Bold regardless of size. A quick search on youtube for Bold reviews will help you. I have watched a video of a bold compared side by side with a curve. Check it out and see the difference in size.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by TeriO View Post
    I am new to PinStack I currently have the Pearl 8100 and I am due to upgrade in December. I am debating on the BB Curve or the BB Bold
    Welcome to PinStack!
    Your question is a good one. I have owned several BlackBerrys over the last few years. The Pearl & Curve amongst them. I also have used several other 3G smart phones on the AT&T network. Having a 3G phone on a 3G network is only the beginning, as there are other factors that govern the speed increase you experience. Thus I would not choose any BlackBerry based on just one feature like 3G. Don't get me wrong as I certainly share your desire for the faster net experience, and while I also use the net a lot on my BlackBerry it gets a lot of use for email which does not benefit from 3G. I'm on my BlackBerry constantly throughout the day; and find the EDGE equipped Curve 8310 the perfect size, the best keyboard, and overall the best BlackBerry for me of all the current models. I also have an 8820 which is very close in size to a Bold & its rather cumbersome. Another consideration is that currently Curves are being offered at low prices which will continue for the next few months. So one strategy would be to wait until the Bold is released. Then get a Curve ” decide during the 30 trial period if it's for you. If not then you can exchange it for a Bold.
    Hope this helps you.
    sent via BlackBerry Curve 8310
    Simply Brilliant !

Charlie Hustle no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    skdck
    Wow ^^ that was well said. I was leaning toward the Bold because its basically a top of the line curve in my eyes. But price is a factor, and convenience also. And you can get a curve for almost dirt cheap with an upgrade.

Thank you guys! This is all great info and definitely food for thought. archer6, I really like your suggestion about getting the Curve and trying it out for the 30 days. That's a great way for me to try both. However, I am concerned that the Internet speed is about the same as what I have on my 8100.

Shaun, you mentioned the wifi capabilities and I have to say that is of interest to me too. Can you give me a few details to what wifi in a phone means. I will admit, I have not had a chance to search out what what all that entails yet and can do so. However, I figured if I had you here and willing to share your knowledge...

Mortgageman, thank you for your comments as well. It's good information to know and I appreciate the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Hustle View Post
    Wow ^^ that was well said. I was leaning toward the Bold because its basically a top of the line curve in my eyes. But price is a factor, and convenience also. And you can get a curve for almost dirt cheap with an upgrade.
    Yep! That's also a huge factor.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by TeriO View Post
    Yep! That's also a huge factor.
    The challenge is to identify what we actually "need" vs what we "think we need". In my personal experience as the owner of every current BlackBerry on the market. I have had the opportunity to use GPS, WiFi, etc. At the end of the day what do I actually end up using all the time. Or frequently enough that it's truly needed?
    I have Wifi @ home, office, Starbucks, & nearly every hotel I stay at while traveling on business. Thus Wifi (which delivers a much faster internet experience than 3G) is very beneficial to me. Since Wifi can be had in the new AT&T & T-Mobile Curves, it eliminates my need fir 3G. Since I'm not interested in watching video, or other streaming media on such a tiny screen, the justification for a Bold is not there. As a novelty, yes. As something I would use frequently, no. Especially since I always carry a laptop. Even when I'm out on the weekend I put my thin, super light (less than 3lbs.) X60s 12" ThinkPad which is far better for multimedia, & web surfing. Thus for me the sweet spot is the Curve. Then going forward I will purchase a Javelin as this is also an EDGE model, which delivers the best battery life & everything I need, while being lighter & smaller than a Bold which is more than I need. Just something to think about.
    Cheers
    sent via BlackBerry