Okay so I'm training to be a DMDR AT&T Sales Rep and we just got ... General Blackberry forum

Justyn no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    n/a

Smile PDA's?

Advertisement

Okay so I'm training to be a DMDR AT&T Sales Rep and we just got into my field of expertise today... data! I was so excited to finally show my trainer what I got! All was going well up until we were going through the different types of phones that offer data. He asks the question, "Who can tell me the difference between a PDA and Smartphone?" So I give my answer and them give him examples of both, a PDA being like a TREO and a Smartphone being like a Blackberry.

So he tells me, "A blackberry is not a Smartphone, it's a PDA. A smartphone is like a flip-phone capable of data." I told him that yeah I know there's different types of smartphones, and Blackberry is one of them. He proceeds to tell me I'm wrong and drops the subject.

So I check out Tmo.com, Sprint.com, and Verizon.com, and type "smartphone" into their search engine and low and behold... blackberrys come up! Then I try AT&Twirleess.com and do the same thing and PDA and Smartphone pulls up under the Smartphone search. So I'm thinking maybe he's confused and I tell him, "Look, I typed Smartphone under all these search engines and Blackberry's come up." Well that just pissed him off and he's been giving me dirty looks all day.

So even after this little pow-wow he is still asserting Blackberry's being PDA's, not Smartphones... so I go on Wikipedia and look up Smartphone and yes, Blackberry's come up. So I show the guy next to me and he know's the trainer's giving me dirty looks so HE raises his hand and says, "Hey, Wikipedia says Blackberry's are Smartphones." That just pissed the guy off.

Am I wrong to try and prove him wrong? Aren't Blackberry's indeed Smartphones? This guy's been in the business longer than me, so is he right? I thought I'd ask the experts on this site seeing how this trainer is more of an expert than me. Am I wrong? Or is he mad that a student is going against a teacher's training?
    It's not an iPhone addiction, it's insomnia!

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

Re: PDA's?

sounds like the guys being a hard *** a PDA to me is a palm pilot or dell axiom both of which i had a smartphone would be a blackberry, treo etc the diffrence to me would be the later can make and recieve calls

rathompson no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249FD6FD

I agree with Kane, a PDA doesn't have the ability to send or receive phone calls.

Word of advice; don't call a trainer, teacher or proffessor etc... out on mistakes in the class, bad form, lack of class. Do it on a one on one basis. If you make him look like an ***, he will eventually do the same to you. He has more stroke than you, his pay back can have a larger impact on your future.

Eldeano no está en línea Stack level 3

Sounds like your instructor might want to enter the new century!

guyheavensent no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    717cff09

Quote Originally Posted by Justyn
    AT&T
    there is your first problem

jrockett no está en línea BES Pro

Smartphone

A category of mobile device that provides advanced capabilities beyond a typical mobile phone. Smartphones run complete operating system software that provides a standardized interface and platform for application developers.

By the strict definition, smartphones are distinct from PDA-based devices running operating systems such as Palm OS or Windows Mobile for Pocket PCs. While PDA-based devices usually have a touch-screen for pen input, smartphones usually have a standard phone keypad for input.

Definition

Yes BlackBerries are smartphones.
    Data Outages
    Reinstall OS
    Desktop/Device Page

Yes, I'm a BES admin with an iPhone 3G.

Follow me on Twitter!

Eldeano no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by jrockett
    Smartphone

A category of mobile device that provides advanced capabilities beyond a typical mobile phone. Smartphones run complete operating system software that provides a standardized interface and platform for application developers.

By the strict definition, smartphones are distinct from PDA-based devices running operating systems such as Palm OS or Windows Mobile for Pocket PCs. While PDA-based devices usually have a touch-screen for pen input, smartphones usually have a standard phone keypad for input.

Definition

Yes BlackBerries are smartphones.
    nuff said, good post jrockett

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

Def not a PDA, its a smart phone. I also think smartphones don't usually have touchscreens, but some smartphones do. BB is a smartphone.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~