PDA Injuries on the Rise: EVRBDY P4N1C!!! Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:17PM EST See Comments ... General Blackberry forum

Cracked Out no está en línea Stack level 3
    Ask Pls!

PDA Injuries on the Rise

PDA Injuries on the Rise: EVRBDY P4N1C!!!

Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:17PM EST
    See Comments (4)
    BlackBerry Thumb (tendinitis in the hand due to overuse of PDAs) is on the rise. This grown-up version of Nintendo Thumb (don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about) is painful and common, but now there's a twist: Employers could be liable when their workers come down with the syndrome.
    If you're an employer, the good news is that this USA Today story doesn't list any cases pending against employers over the condition... yet. But there's still reason to be cautious. This is especially true if you're a frequent user of these devices. Some simple precautions can ensure you don't come down with the painful malady.
    The most important advice is to limit use appropriately. This might not sit well with your boss, but don't spend more than five or ten minutes mucking with your smart phone at a time. If you need to do that much emailing, it's time to break out the laptop.
    There is also a right way and a wrong way to use a smart phone. Hand posture is critical. Unfortunately, every hand and every PDA is different, so check your manual for tips on proper hand posture. The key seems to be the thumbwheel that most PDAs have on the side: The up-down thumb motion is very unnatural and appears to be the culprit in most cases. If you can, find alternatives to the thumbwheel using the touchscreen or other navigation keys when available.
    Finally, switch hands when possible. This isn't easy to do, but mixing up the actions you perform by scrolling with a finger on your left hand instead of the thumb on your right hand can help limit use on any one hand at a time.
    There's more advice (and personal stories from sufferers) in the complete USA Today story. Please keep in mind, though, that I am not a medical doctor. Ergonomics experts I've spoken to all suggest you consult your physician if chronic pain develops

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Re: PDA Injuries on the Rise

Interesting. I've used them for years without problems. I guess there are a number of variables that can affect how bad Blackberry thumb can be for a given individual.