I posted in this thread , but didn't receive a response so I'm making my ... General Blackberry forum

joeythelemur no está en línea Stack level 1

Question PC won't recognize BB - need to reload OS due to 348 error

Advertisement

I posted in this thread, but didn't receive a response so I'm making my request a bit more general.

I’ve been working on this for three days using the info on this thread and it just isn’t coming up. I hope someone has an idea for what else I can try.

Dropped my 8830 a couple days ago (gently onto carpet, actually) and it came up with the “Error 348, reset” error. I didn’t have a backup and was panicking a bit because nothing I tried could get my PC to recognize the BB. I tried everything listed in the first part of this thread to no avail. I even downloaded and tried JavaLoader to wipe it, but even that wouldn’t see the USB connected BB.

The next day, I tried a bunch more times and finally, my phone came right. Started up entirely so I took the opportunity to do a backup and that worked fine. I thought it might just stay right, but after an hour or so, it shut back down again with the 348 error and it’s stayed that way now. But I’m feeling a bit better due to the backup and I think (hope) this means that it's not a major hardware failure.

I still have the problem of not being able to wipe and reload the OS. Occasionally, desktop manager will see the BB briefly (about 1 second) but then it disappears again. I’ve been quick enough to get into Application Loader when it appeared, but as soon as it dropped off, there is nothing in AL for me to do.

One note: I’m confused about step 2: Install the handheld software. Can someone explain exactly what this means? Does the BB need software installed on the PC (besides the BB desktop manager)? If so, what does it look like/what is it called? I have Verizon and following the instructions in this thread, I found myself on this page (http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/) to download the handheld software. However, the filename I downloaded was “Desktop Software v4.3 (Multilanguage).exe”. When I install it, it’s simply the newest version of the desktop manager. Is there something else I’m missing here from Verizon?

Thanks in advance.

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53
    OK so what you are looking for is the Handheld software, go to this page and put in your phone number http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry...px?ct=personal, as long as the handheld software you are downloading is fomr the same carrier you got the phone from then Step 2 doesn't really apply to you, except the install part out of the ( )s, you MUST close the DTM before installing the HHS
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

So I’ve got the handheld SW installed and I get all the way to step 8 in this process, but then run into an “Unable to complete the loading operation” error. I’ve tried this several times and get the same issue when it is trying to re-initialize after loading (wiping?) the JVM.

I’m now getting a 507 error when I try to start it up (so that seems to be progress?). I wonder if I have to do something with my battery as I suspect it has very little charge in it right now (I am pretty sure the 348 error was on the screen all last night, probably drained it). If I plug in my BB with the USB cable without the battery in, the PC never recognizes it. As soon as I put the battery in, the PC can see it. I wonder if the failure at the “multi-stage load operation” is due to a low battery charge (in other words, the BB can’t stand on its own for a short while to finish the load)? Do I need to find a standard wall plugin charger and just use that for a few hours before trying again?

The thread that I keep referencing relies on the battery being out to get it to be recognized but it never happens for me. I also can’t get it wiped using JL_Cmder for the same reason.
    Any other ideas? Thanks.

GeeMrScience no está en línea Stack level 2
    First off, disable the function that the USB can power down the device, I learned that the hard way long ago.

To do this, click Start > Control Panels > System > Hardware > Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers > USB Root Hub > Right click EACH USB Root Bub and click on Properties > Power Management > Remove Check Mark from " Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power" > Click OK.
    Do this on every single USB Root Hub you have listed in there.

Then pull the battery, start Application Loader and keep clicking NEXT until the last button which says FINISH. Click Finish and then re-insert the battery and let the system do its thing.

I know the PC doesn't recognize the BB without the battery, but, I have done this and resurrected either mine (or my families) or friends Blackberry's back from the dead, usually some type of JVM error that they all lead to the same thing... the O/S is hosed and needs to be reloaded.

I have had pretty good luck doing this, just make sure the USB cable is plugged into a back USB port and not a front USB Port. Yes, it does make a difference at times.
    King illegal forest to pig wild kill in it a is!

Thanks Science, I've done as you suggested. However, when I open Application Loader, the only options are COM3 and COM6; there's no USB option. Only if the battery is in do I get a USB option.

As for front/back USB ports, I am running on a T60 IBM Thinkpad, 2 USB on the right side (toward the back) and one vertically-oriented USB on the left side (toward the front). I have been trying most of this using the left USB so I'll try on the right now to see if it makes a difference (no offense, but I'm skeptical it'll make a difference here). I'd love to be proven wrong though. ;-)

Well, I get all the way through the AppLoader process until it says "Reconnecting to JVM". It gets all the way to the end of that and then I get the "Unable to complete the loading operation" error again. I have done this three or four times with the same result.

I again tried to run javaloader to wipe the handheld, but regardless of whether the battery is in or out, javaloader cannot find the device to wipe.

Arrrgh. I don't know what else to try. I appreciate the help, but I've been going in circles feeling like I'm trying the same things over and over. Ideas?