Whenever someone's gotten a BlackBerry on Ebay and it's locked with a password, many of ... General Blackberry forum

Password Ten Times

Advertisement

Whenever someone's gotten a BlackBerry on Ebay and it's locked with a password, many of us have been telling them to type in an incorrect password ten times, then the handheld will wipe itself, ask for a new password, then go from there. Which works. However, I just found out that we can get around that by simply wiping the handheld from the security menu. It never asks for the password, it just wipes the device like it's supposed to -- tested on my passworded 6230 and 7290s. I feel like a doofus for sending people the ten password route! I wonder, though, if there's an IT policy enabled or content protection is enabled whether it's still available.

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

Re: Password Ten Times

wow! good point thanks for the heads up!

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

funny how we never thought of it that way

XLiMBS no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    20F3D846

The BB would be locked when it is turned on, how could they possibly reach the security menu if their device is already locked?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by XLiMBS
    The BB would be locked when it is turned on, how could they possibly reach the security menu if their device is already locked?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I didn't think of that -- Would you all excuse me while I go crawl into a hole! I don't know why that didn't occur to me ---

guyheavensent no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    717cff09

lol, i was kind of wondering the same thing

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

Hahaha. Man mark. You had me to. I was like man why didn't I think of that. Wow. I'm going to go hide in a corner now. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F

That corner is getting pretty crowded, huh?!

Still, I can't help wondering whether there exist trapdoors.

Eg. in UNIX systems (of a certain radiant Company at least) if you entered the vi editor and typed a totally unlikely and senseless sequence of commands [which was revealed to you under solemn oath of secrecy], you emerged in a root shell. Likewise a network connection to a port with number < 1024 had root privileges; this has been "fixed", supposedly... but I was able to connect using Comm software I had written, running on a low-level Motorola board, specify a low port... and reset somebody's forgotten root password -- obviating the need for a 2-3 day rebuild/reinstall job.

It is quite possible that RIM does have something similar - to help bona fide locked-out customers. It is also highly understandable that they won't comment on it... or even admit it