We were up at AT&T yesterday getting my girlfriend a 8310 and the salesman said ... General Blackberry forum

groundzero2010 no está en línea Stack level 2

Overclock 8100

Advertisement

We were up at AT&T yesterday getting my girlfriend a 8310 and the salesman said he had a 8100 that he overclocked which he got this information from this site. Hes the one that directed me here. Anyone have any idea what he could be referring to? I've searched and everything says that the Pearl can't be overclocked.

Re: Overclock 8100

Quote Originally Posted by groundzero2010 View Post
    We were up at AT&T yesterday getting my girlfriend a 8310 and the salesman said he had a 8100 that he overclocked which he got this information from this site. Hes the one that directed me here. Anyone have any idea what he could be referring to? I've searched and everything says that the Pearl can't be overclocked.
    I've never heard the term "overclocked" - what does that mean?

shmengie no está en línea Stack level 4

i've never heard anyone mention 'overclock' and 'blackberry' in the same sentence. seems unlikely, though i suppose anything's possible..
    2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2.
    - Grabel's Law

macallik no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe

Ive never heard of a blackberry being overclocked. I suppose it is possible, but you would have to make sure it doesn't overheat.

aswanideep no está en línea Stack level 4

SOrry ! What is Overlock ?

DriftorX no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask me!!

Overclock is a termed using mostly in computer related issues. Mainly to make a processor or something go faster then what is stated by factory specs. like taking a car motor that is only 300 horsepower and tuning it to over 450 horsepower, making it faster. But making a BB overclock, i would not see a purpose for that.

aswanideep no está en línea Stack level 4

I agree DriftorX, ws wondering how can he "Overlock" a BB ?

takadante no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24B2C963

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Well itd possible to increase the mhz of the proccessor, but I really don't know how, or if there would be a reason. I don't think a typical user can do it. Maybe some programer since you will need access to the proccessors BIOS(if that's the term to use for a phone)

PIN/ID
    ask me!!

actually I really sure you can do it, but its gonna take a bit of tech knowledge a special chip reader/programmer and a huge knoweldge of chip settings. To explain that a bit better with on the BB level. you would need to take the chip in the bb, plug it in a special type of mircochip reader that will be able to read it. Even then it may be locked by the manufaturer of the chip. Even if you were able to get past that level then reading the functions of the chip may take special software as well to output it to a standard english level reading. Even after that you would probably permenantly damage the chip if you dont do it right the first time. Even if you do get to that far as well. I doubt the level of th echip would be even overclockable for a device small as that. Im already thinking the chips in bb's are at the highest setting. Ok on another view of overclocking it. You then can find another chip that will fit the socket and then would have to go through lots of prgramming of the chip to read the functions of the bb and get a faster chip. Where you would get such a chip you ask.. umm.. there are all sorts of companies out there that sell programmable chips. All you have to do is get the software and hardare to program it, so hench im sure a bb can be overclocked. Just not as easy as a computer can these days just by going into the motherboards bios and also cooling of it. But Im sure its is possible to overclock a bb. Just need all the stuff to do it. But that still comes the question. What is the purpose of overclocking a bb? I dont see any purpose to do it with a bb.

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no

Quote Originally Posted by aswanideep View Post
    I agree DriftorX, ws wondering how can he "Overlock" a BB ?
    no need to wonder.

The nice sales rep told a fib.

PIN/ID
    ask me!!

somebody get his name and employee number and report him in to try to sell lies also i suggest not going back to that person again for anything but to pay your bill. LOL

BiggDaddyDutch no está en línea Stack level 3

this is not something that should be attempted. especially if your 8100 is on a contract, because if you blow your BB then you have a nice contract to pay for or you have to go buy another BB and pay full amount for it........
    Cheers
    BiggDaddy
    my thumbs hurt.......

PIN/ID
    ask me!!

Quote Originally Posted by BiggDaddyDutch View Post
    this is not something that should be attempted. especially if your 8100 is on a contract, because if you blow your BB then you have a nice contract to pay for or you have to go buy another BB and pay full amount for it........
    Thats exactly right. If you have no idea on such equipment. Dont even try it! you be paying more money for something you broke the first time.
    Last edited by DriftorX; 02-11-2008 at 01:54 PM. Reason: double worded

kolosus no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    315677A8

I think the sales rep was being a bit generous with his terming it "overclocking".
    I've freed up more memory.
    Installed apps that increase my productivity.
    Installed games that decrease my productivity.
    Installed apps that gave my bb functions that a "from the factory" bb doesn't have.

So in a sense I guess my bb is doing more than when I got it at the shop... So in a sense I could say that its "overclocked". Maybe that's what the sales rep was referring to.

PIN/ID
    ask me!!

If that was the case then he should of use the term 'productive'