I don't think this is an 88000-specific question, so I'll as in General. If I ... General Blackberry forum

Klotar no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    207BADEB

Outlook Calendar bug or BB Calendar Bug?

Advertisement

I don't think this is an 88000-specific question, so I'll as in General.

If I set up an appointment on my BB and invite an attendee overseas, it looks fine on my end. Shows fine also when I sync with Outlook 2003. My time zone will show as GMT -6 (which is correct).

On the other end, the person accepts the meeting, and the time adjusts itself to their time zone, let's say it's GMT+6 as an example and to make the math easy. However, if the appointment is set for the evening on my side, meaning it's morning the next day on their side, the DATE won't adjust along with it.

So if I set an appointment for 9:00 PM Jan 1, it should be at 9:00 AM on Jan 2 for them but instead it's 9:00 AM on Jan 1.

The flow is 1) appt set on my BB, 1a) goes to my Outlook 2003 when I sync, 2) goes to their WM6 device and 2a) goes to their Outlook 2003 via Activesync.

At what point does it look like the time/date translation isn't happening correctly?

nyydynasty no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Outlook Calendar bug or BB Calendar Bug?

just so I have the info correct, after you sync with your outlook ... you send them the invitation? If thats correct, is the date set right on their device before they sync with their outlook?
    www.iamletired.com
    ...come one, come all....

PIN/ID
    207BADEB

Sorry, I had to finish that post off in a hurry this morning and left out a few things that I started to set up with the 1a) and 2a) stuff.

But also with further thought, I don't think the problem is with either of the Outlooks. The meeting/appointment is created on my BB and sent wirelessly via email to their WM6 device, where it is accepted. The reason that I was vague with the Outlooks is that although we both use it to sync our calendars, neither of us use Outlook for our mail. So the appointment in both my Outlook calendar and their Outlook calendar is from syncing with our respective handhelds, and not from our Outlooks sending or recieving the meeting invite via email and accepting it there.

It might not be worth the trouble to find the answer anyways; because even if it's a bug, I don't think much can be done about it other than putting something into the notes field to warn the attendee. I'd lean more towards the wronger of the two rights to be on the other side, since my side is stating the date, time and the timezone correctly, and the other side is not taking that information and doing the math when the time advances beyond midnight.

Another work-around would be, since I am aware of it, to try to set up meetings as GMT+6 and see how it appears on my end translated back to GMT-6 and make any corrections necessary.

PIN/ID
    207BADEB

Quote Originally Posted by Klotar
    Another work-around would be, since I am aware of it, to try to set up meetings as GMT+6 and see how it appears on my end translated back to GMT-6 and make any corrections necessary.
    Update: I tried an experiment: I set up a meeting on my side using GMT+6 for Saturday at 1 AM (guaranteeing that there would be a date change back) and after I saved it, the appointment appeared on my side as Friday at 1 PM. This is as expected. It also indicates that if there is a date/time translation error happening, it's most likely the WM6 device, since the experiment seems to indicate that my BB knows how to handle time wraparounds.

Then again, I can't see MS letting a bug like that go by either; but it's enough for me to consider the topic closed.