my kids, ages 9.5 & 10.5. now, before you get started about why kids that ... General Blackberry forum

tilga no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2489CB83

Lightbulb OT: phone suggestions for...

Advertisement

my kids, ages 9.5 & 10.5.

now, before you get started about why kids that young *don't* need a phone, let me assure you that we've thought this through.. we are a "blended" (aka "step") family. the 10.5 yo came to live w/us 2.5 yrs ago bc her mother was an abusive alcoholic meth- & crackhead/wh0r3.

unfortunately, she does have visitation rights.. on top of that, the kids are off with friends and family regularly, as well as field trips out of town with their classes & "intellectually talented" groups.. throw in summers away from home at camps and with family members out of state.. you get the picture.

we want our kids to be able to reach us 24/7, no excuses.

of course, at their age, we *really* do NOT want to get them a smartphone, though i'm srsly tempted to bag them each a refurb'd BB curve. *sly grin* that's just bc i like playing with my BB so much.

the 9.5yo boy is very advanced, technology-wise, as he's had his own PC since age 2 and has helped step-dad set up home theater systems, etc. but, he's still a young boy and tends to drop and misplace things.

the 10.5yo girl has ADD, so while she's brilliant, she tends to abuse/lose things more than most girls her age...

so... now that you fully understand our situation -

what would you suggest?

i was looking at the LG Shine only bc at&t has a deal on refurb'd ones now.. and you can't get any less expensive than FREE... *shrug*

ssnxp no está en línea Device Pro
    If you can get a Shine for anywhere near free, I'd say go for it. It's not the most feature-packed phone out there, but it looks (and feels, imo) amazing.

I would stay away from a Blackberry as a first phone.. let them get used to the basics of how a cell phone works.

OR you could use the upgrade to get yourself a Blackberry Bold and buy a $30 prepaid phone from Walmart (or wherever) and give one of the kids that..
    -Tim

JCG3 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    your provider probably has a prepaid service phone right? just buy that phone that is really cheap and swap the SIM or activate it as old equipment for verizion. they dont need a cell phone but if you insist... that should do the trick... fyi... even if they dont have service through a provider, if you dial 911 on any cell phone it will connect to the 911 service. so if that is at all in your head you can give them just about any phone.

PIN/ID
    2489CB83
    provider = att. small town usa.. our nearest verizon store is...90 min away, i believe. and in another state.

i really don't want to go prepaid.. we did that once before and it became ridiculously expensive for the girl. (figures, right?) first, her mother would not stop texting her, and often texted her late (like 11:30-ish) on school nights. even though we "took up" the phones at bed-time, that's still $0.20/txt.

ssnxp - i might go with the shine. i'm pretty sure my son would totally dig it, as technilogically advanced as he is, especially at his age. my only concern is durability. how many times can they drop it before it smashes to bits?
    i know i've dropped my beloved BB billions of times (usually in it's nifty leather case it came with) and it's perfectly fine except for the rubber on top. (it's not that i don't love & respect my BB, i'm just clumsy. haha)

also, i'm considering the samsung a737. tons of reviews and a lot are from young teens. seems to be pretty durable.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    I would actually look at the new FireFly for both of them. I know I am looking at one for my 10 year old daughter. The new unit has MP3, Camera, Memory Card Slot, and (most importantly) Parental Controls. They run about $100 brand new unlocked. It is a good unit to start with and then gradually move them into a 3 or 400 phone if they insist.

The Shine is a nice unit but has one huge issue. Most kids will put the phone in their pocket. We see the results of that on a daily basis with bodies and clothes flexing when electronics won't. The biggest issue on the shine is with the delicate LCD hidden behind that nice shiny mirrored lens. Overall the unit is very nice for what it was designed to be (a designer phone and a normal price).

The a737 is a little better with it's LCD. Overall it is a decent, durable, and inexpensive phone but can be costly to replace or repair if it does get broken.

Zo

ssnxp no está en línea Device Pro
    I can't give you a good idea on how durable the shine is. I only had mine for a few days. I would recommend a phone that is nice enough that the kids wouldn't mind keeping for a while, but inexpensive (FREE) enough that you wouldn't be too upset if they lost or broke them.. The shine just seemed good for the price

PIN/ID
    2489CB83
    Quote Originally Posted by Amigotek View Post
    I would actually look at the new FireFly for both of them. I know I am looking at one for my 10 year old daughter. The new unit has MP3, Camera, Memory Card Slot, and (most importantly) Parental Controls. They run about $100 brand new unlocked. It is a good unit to start with and then gradually move them into a 3 or 400 phone if they insist.

The Shine is a nice unit but has one huge issue. Most kids will put the phone in their pocket. We see the results of that on a daily basis with bodies and clothes flexing when electronics won't. The biggest issue on the shine is with the delicate LCD hidden behind that nice shiny mirrored lens. Overall the unit is very nice for what it was designed to be (a designer phone and a normal price).

The a737 is a little better with it's LCD. Overall it is a decent, durable, and inexpensive phone but can be costly to replace or repair if it does get broken.

Zo
    thx amigo... i'll hafta look again at the fireflys (unlocked, natch).. i'm not sure if at&t would work with me on that, but I could always get something nicer like a shine or a737 for later on and start them on the firefly. i think i will stay away from the shines only because i know my 10yo girl and she is rough on everything. and i can't guarantee that while she's with her mother, her mother won't destroy it "by accident".

thx again for all the replies. i'm still thinking about all this, apparently..

mantis8585 no está en línea Stack level 1
    My 9 year old daughter has a BB 7100i. No problems to report. Good tough phone plus BB messenger. Almost all the family have BB's... Good luck
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

PIN/ID
    2489CB83
    I hate that at&t deals are completely diff from store to store and vary more online.
    I guess we've been in denial that we're suddenly w/o a sitter in the afternoons.. So, at the very last min tonight we went to the *only* "official" at&t store in town and ended up getting the kids a Samsung Propel each. I'm impressed w/these phones. And, my son takes after me & tends to drop things easily, so.. He dropped his phone on the asphalt parking lot not 20 min after he got it. Barely a scratch on it.
    We got a sweet deal on them, too

Thanks for all the replies.

Mantis - wish I'd seen your reply before we went to the store. I'd love for the kids to have a BB! Oh, well..maybe in 2 yrs haha

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    well, if he/she does end up losing or damaging the phone, go to walmart and buy a cheap go-phone and put their existing sim in it. they work. this is what i've done with my kids (well, my son) who got his phone stolen not once, but twice from school.

PIN/ID
    2489CB83
    If the kids abuse their phones in any way, we are going to put their sim cards in their old go phones. I know, after playing with these phones, there's *no* way they want to go back to those crappy nokias. lol

Also, we went ahead w/the phone insurance which protects against the phones being lost, stolen or damaged in any way (according to our sales chick). I wouldn't normally get phone ins, but w/a 9 & 10yr old, I can't run that risk, rught? Hehe