Hi, I have a user abroad with his handset. He's reporting problems with the keyboard ... General Blackberry forum

clum1 no está en línea Stack level 2

Question One user, two handsets?

Advertisement

Hi,
    I have a user abroad with his handset. He's reporting problems with the keyboard and I have sourced him a replacement. We're connected to a BES and I'd like to know (and it's probably a daft question but he's my boss and I want to be absolutely sure...) whether I can have two devices activated for one user at the same time?
    Ideally I'd like to run the enterprise activation on the new handset here, get it sorted correctly, then ship it to the user so he can swap his SIM and carry on with the new device. Is this OK or am I in danger of messing up his current handset?
    thanks for your help,
    Calum

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Re: One user, two handsets?

I'm not a BES admin, but as far as I know you absolutely can NOT have two devices on one Exchange account.

That said, and provided your security policy allows, AND you have Outlook Web Access set up, you could set up the new device to connect using BIS instead of BES. If set up this way, I don't think Meeting Requests will be handled properly, and you'll have to find a way to get the contacts onto the second device, but this is the only way around the limitation.

Provided the PHONE is activated and registered before you send it out, you should be able to perform either a wired (prefered) or OTA Enterprise Activation when the unit arrives overseas.

Your only alternative is to set up a second Exchange email account, have the email on the first account automatically forwarded to the second email account, and activate the BlackBerry on the new email account. Down side to that is the user's email will be sent using the second email account which may confuse recipients.
    JerryD

clum1 no está en línea Stack level 2

Thanks for getting back to me and I'm glad I waited before experimenting! I'll send it out, set up an activation password and let him activate OTA.
    cheers
    Calum

cwax no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    32DEF7BB

It would be better to just send the device to him, and have him activate it where he is.