Just wanted to say hi as I have been viewing the forum for about a ... General Blackberry forum

itjunkie no está en línea Stack level 2

noob saying hi

Advertisement

Just wanted to say hi as I have been viewing the forum for about a month. I've used Blackberrys for about 3 years now. I had a 7100t with T-mobile a few years ago but now just have the company issue 7250 from Verizon. I'm interested in the Verizon 8830 but not sure if I should hold out for the pearl. Also not sure when the company I work for will up and switch carriers on me. Right now they use Sprint and T-mobile. I sitll have Verizon.

Bob

cyberspastic no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: noob saying hi

welcome to the stacks. you can find everything you need to know about bbs here so don't be afraid to ask questions, it's a very friendly environment!

curve247 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASK

welcome to the stacks bob. I recently moved from a 7250 to a 8830 (although I am on sprint), and the change is amazing. I would highly recommend the 8830. My 7250 was great but the features on the 8830 a so much better. Let me know if you have any questions. once again, welcome.
    "T-Dub"
    T- Mo: BB 9700, 8900, 8220
    Sprint: BB 8330, 8830, 8130, 8703, 7250

But there's a beautiful view of the end of the world from the pier.....

Thanks. The 8830 looks really great. The company I work for will not let me upgrade so i have to get one on my own. I'm thinking about waiting until November, when the Pearl comes out to see if the 8830 comes down in price. I would hate to dump $300 on it only to have my company switch providers the next month.

I used the 7100t with the sure type and it worked pretty good. I would consider the Pearl if it is priced right. Although i do like the bigger screen the 8830 has.

Bob

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

i think you should go with the 8830 i think the pearl is too small namely the screen a friend of mine just got a curve told me yea this is what i have been missing

Justyn no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    n/a

Velcome 2 za stacks!
    It's not an iPhone addiction, it's insomnia!

cubus no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by itjunkie
    Right now they use Sprint and T-mobile. I sitll have Verizon.
    Hi Noob.
    Not sure if all the Verizon people won't burn my little AT&T Berry after this, but you might want to be careful with them. There are rumors flying around that Verizon might be switching, at some point, to wCDMA, which is a GSM-based system. I know nothing about Verizon's strategy, but my feel is that even though they'll support CDMA phones for a while, they might not invest in improving services.

Also, there are some more rumors around WiFi frequency bid that Verizon sued. Basically, a part of 700MHz frequency is supposed to be open to "every safe device to use it", including WiFi phones. Google was pushing that users could pick their own carriers and switch between them. Some say that Verizon's CDMA will not be compatible and the idea would exclude Verizon's phones from using the band. Although, I'm not sure what Wi-Fi has to do with CDMA, but still for some reason Verizon doesn't like the idea of global Wi-Fi.

It seems to me that there will be a lot of changes for Verizon in the coming future. If I were you, I'd go for current GSM-based carriers and make sure to pick a WiFi phone.
    And no, I'm not an AT&T employee ;-)

Thanks for the welcome guys, and the advice. I wish I were able to pick my provider but the company does not let us. We just got taken over and my current provider is Verizon but the company that took us over uses Sprint and T-mobile. nobody is telling us if we will be able to keep Verizon or for how long. It's a big PITA. I don't mind dumping my own money for a 8830 but I'm not going to throw $300 at it. Guess I'll have to wait a bit.

Bob